Compaq R3000z Good To Go...even Wireless...

Tripleg

26 posts in this topic

Good news, after searching around for hours and trying everything, I found something that got it to successfully boot into OSX. The broadcom, volume control, sound, touch pad, USB mouse, and keyboard all work right out of the box. The video card does not seem to be set right (1024X768 no accell), and the CPU fans is always stuck at full speed (activity monitor shows only a 5% cpu usage), really annoying.

Here is what I did:

1. installed using this DVD: JaS.Mac.OS.X.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3.PPF.1.Defiant.diskut

2. ran disk utilities and set as one partition.

3. selected only the amd option from the installer.

4. after installer finishes, reboot, but she hangs at setting services.

5. reboot again using -s and run these commands(http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=38518):

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

cd /System/Library/Extensions

mkdir disabled

mv NV* disabled

kextcache -k ./

reboot

6. OSX now runs on the r3000z

I CAN CONFIRM THIS 100% WORKING!

I use Compaq Presario R3000, AMD 64 with 3400+ CPU, 1GB Ram, Nvidia 440go.

ALL Hardware is working, including Airport/WiFi, Ethernet, sounds, everything. Only minor point: resolution 1024 x 768 and no hardware acceleration. Isn't there something like Katana that's for ATI putting it on 1200 x 800 (for the Presario's with P4's and ATI cards) that works with the Nvidia???

Oh BTW I had old bios v34, then OSX was SLOOWWWWWW I upgraded to v35 and its running pretty fast! I am typing/working on it now.

I used:

10.4.8 JAS with PPF1 and PPF2. No diskut version or something like that. Did all the poster above said he did. Running of external USB 2.0 with an old 5400rpm 12 GB HDD from an old Pentium 1 computer... Will upgrade to a big 7400 rpm model with 16 MB cache soonish.