GMA X3500 Working with QE/CI/OpenGL/Rotation

thestevo

58 posts in this topic

Hello! I installed 10.5.6. and received a blue screen. found a solution in this forum and you are great thanks! but ...

I can not download the latest additions in the first post (OpenGL.framework.zip and OpenGL.framework.zip).

please re-upload them to another server, if not difficult for you.

Thanks ..

Well, those links are working properly for me. Are you saying your access to MediaFire is restricted? I can upload it somewhere else if you'd like, what server does work for you? (Just to save guessing)

And, those two files are just vanilla. Anywhere, any post that contains them marked as such will work. I'm sure there are probably a number of threads that have vanilla OpenGL 10.5.4 links, and probably a few with the bundle too.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi thestevo,

first off, thanks for all your efforts, it's really appreciated.

I have a P5E-VM HDMI, like a few others here, and although I have installed your kexts and the OpenGL stuff, I notice that I only have Software support for CI and no support for QE. I notice a couple of the people above in the threat are showing the same problem in the About My Mac snapshots.

Have you any pointers for me to look at to resolve this? I am using 10.5.6 vanilla with EFI v9/Chameleon. No dsdt stuff or device properties in com.apple.boot.plist.

I built the system with an HD from a Badaxe2 system. Only had to disable the JMicron controller for it to boot with basic VESA support.

thestevo,

Not sure if you are still taking input, but here are my specs:

P5E-VM HDMI

E8400@3.0GHz

4GB ram

2 SATA HDD

1 SATA DVD

So, I kind of followed Speedracers method of installing retail via 123-boot, then did 10.5.2 update, then installed chameleon, then updated to 10.5.4 then 10.5.5 and loaded all the kexts (and the bundles). After first making a stupid mistake and putting the downgraded OpenGL in the wrong frameworks folder, it now works, but only on the VGA output. I am actually trying to run a 40" plasma with this over the HDMI, and could buy DVI/HDMI adapters for both ends, but I was wondering how I could troubleshoot whats going on and give you feed back.

I would give you the direct specs off of system profiler, but I have this weird error

com.apple.launch[88] ([0x0-0x11011].com.apple.SystemProfiler[131]) Exited abnormally: Floating point exception

which I assume is due to the SMBIOSenabler.kext I used from Fuzy (Speedracer has posted on his thread).

Let me know what I can do to help, and thanks again for the hard work. At least VGA appears to be working, so thats cool (and I don't care about audio over HDMI).

EDIT: I disabled my CUPID in the BIOS and everything is behaving better, or at least I can launch system profiler,

Hello thestevo,

i tried your kext as well and it`s working but only the VGA output.

Nomally my monitor is connected over a DVI to HDMI Adapter with my Mainboard Asus P5E-VM HDM, but when i try that, i just get a blue screen.

Do you know a way to get that working? Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

inx1tmp

ntsmkfob - All I can say is that you must not have replaced everything. Download everything mentioned in the first post again. Delete the versions that currently exist on your system, and replace with the downloaded ones. Then be sure to repair permissions. I know you said you've done the OpenGL and everything, but if it isn't working it is most likely because of the kexts not fully loading or something. Your motherboard has been reported as working, so your configuration must be off somewhere. Just keep trying, you'll get it.

froghunter - Since I don't have this board, I'm not sure what to tell you about HDMI output if VGA is working. I don't believe that anybody has got HDMI working without using an HDMI to DVI converter. Admittedly, I'm not very well informed as to how OS X selects or recognizes video outputs. I know that for nVidia cards it has to do with NVCAP, but I'm not sure if that applies or has a parallel for GMA. Perhaps somebody with your board or a guru who has done work with video (eg. Diabolik, CycloneFr, Bofors, Netkas) could help you more than I. Sorry.

inx1tmp - Kinda the same thing as above, but an adapter has been reported to work (above in thread.) Your best bet is contacting one of them, seeing if the two of you can identify differences in configuration.

Hello,

I tried to follow the steps from speedracer and installed mac osx from a retail dvd, updated to 10.5.4 but again no dvi :).

So could somebody who have the same mainboard (p5e-vm hdmi) and dvi working tell me which bios version you use. I don`t know if that helps but i will try everything :).

Bye

inx1tmp

I would offer my BIOS version, but I don't have the DVI working, or at least no way to confirm it easily. The best I did was ran a HDMI->DVI and then DVI->VGA adapters, and I didn't get any output on the VGA side (same as the HDMI, just black).

Also, something weird that happened once I installed all the X3500 kext files is that now, instead of going to screen saver, the screen just flashes. It comes back fine, no blue screen involvement, which is nice since it is stable (somewhat), but there is definitely some conflict going on. Additionally, I can no longer open the screen saver/desktop options under system preferences without getting one of those floating exception errors. Might be related to my SMBIOS. By the way, which SMBIOS did you use inx1tmp and are you still trying to get to 10.5.5 or 10.5.6?

Good luck.

Hello,

a blank screen is something different then a blue screen :D Which bios version do you use (you can see that in your bios under System Information).

I used the SMBIOS Resolver from the Boot 123 CD Thread, but that does not work, I get every start the error please restart your Computer. I thought the SMBios files are not importand... are they? :D

I tried the XxX 10.5.6 PPF1 Installation disk with the files from this thread and it worked (included patch for GMAX3500 is not working), but again without dvi. With VNC I can see that the desktop is loaded but does not recognized a screen (thats what the system profiler said). So I am a little bit stuck in this situation, I do not know enough about MAC OS to solve this problem ;).

Bye

inx1tmp

The BiOS version is 0405 build date 12/17/07. And I am using Darwin v5.0.132_dfe_r146_Chameleon_dfe, which was made my nomade (or fuzy).

I got this from the boot screen, since at the moment I can't open my system profiler.

Not sure if that will help. Also, I did a retail install, like in my previous post, pretty much following speedracer and fuzy.

Also, and not sure if you can make sense of this thestevo, but I was able to save the error report that occurs when Desktop/Screensaver preferences crashes (immediately when I open it). This only started occurring once I added the X3500 kext. Hopefully this helps with troubleshooting, since it makes no sense to me.

desktop_error_file.rtf

Hello,

I tried it with the 405 Bios but again with dvi blue screen and vga okay.

But I discovered that I get a picture over DVI with thestevos kexts when I use the Boot 123 CD to start. But this picture is not clear and has many stripes.

thestevo,

first, thanks again for doing all of this (along with speedracer and others). so everything is humming along pretty nicely except for a couple things. the first is the previously mentioned crash when i open up desktop/screensaver in system prefs. i attached the error log for this in my previous post.

i was also going to run either boxee or XBMC on this box, but it crashes on start. i think it might have something to do with the GL drivers, but am not sure if this can be remedied.

error reports from both apps crashing is attached. i can't make heads or tails of it, and if someone else isn't having these problems using this board, or at least these kext with 10.5.5, please let me know.

thanks again for all the help, and i wish my pen pal google had turned something more useful up so i wouldn't have to keep coming and bugging everyone.

XBMC_Crash_report.rtf

boxee_crash_report.rtf

So I have been trying to make sense of the screen saver issues (including the crash in system preferences). When the screen saver tries to come on and sits there and flashes on and off, this is what the console reads (and I am sorry that the code window doesn't have a scroll like most forums):

2/17/09 6:34:06 PM ScreenSaverEngine[1055] invalid code module 
  2/17/09 6:34:06 PM ScreenSaverEngine[1055] invalid pixel format 
  2/17/09 6:34:06 PM ScreenSaverEngine[1055] invalid context 
  2/17/09 6:34:07 PM com.apple.launchd[96] ([0x0-0x2ec2ec].com.apple.ScreenSaver.Engine[1055]) Exited abnormally: Floating point exception

Then, when I open up the system prefs and screensaver, I get the same readout before the floating point exception

2/17/09 6:37:19 PM System Preferences[1070] invalid code module 
  2/17/09 6:37:19 PM System Preferences[1070] invalid pixel format 
  2/17/09 6:37:19 PM System Preferences[1070] invalid context 
  2/17/09 6:37:21 PM com.apple.launchd[96] ([0x0-0x2f32f3].com.apple.systempreferences[1070]) Exited abnormally: Floating point exception

I have also been trying to understand some of the debugging reports, and can't, but have also posted on boxee's forum.

And lastly, if no one thinks they can help with this, I can stop cluttering this extremely useful thread, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT:

Thanks to all for getting this to work. I still don't know what my conflicts where and why I was having issues with OpenGL since all my permissions seemed fine, but I ended up just going back to 10.5.4 and with the I can definitely say everything works great now including Boxee (well, hooked up via VGA, which is just fine). Install method was retail DVD with Fuzzy's kext and his chameleon setup, with Nomade's audio kexts, the OpenHaltRestart.kext, and of course these modified GMAX3100 kexts. Thanks and good luck if anyone is still trying to figure out how to get that HDMI port on the P5E-VM HDMI to play nicely.

I am such a nebbie I have all the files and I understand how to install the .kext files, i just dont know what to do with the other two (AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle and OpenGL.Framwork).

I have a Asus P5E-VM HDMI and using the onboard video.

I know I have to run these files or something but i have no clue how.

Thanks for the help.

bundle goes in /S/L/E same as kexts. You can use kext helper to install it. Framework folder is just after Extensions in /S/L.

So i drop the OpenGL.Framework folder into the System -> Library Folder? And I dont have to run anything in console?

If you open /S/L/Frameworks in Finder , you will find the old version of OpenGL.Framework.

In console type "sudo su" and your root pswd to get to be root user. Then type "mv " (note the space). Then drag the OpenGL.Framework icon from the Finder to the console. Do this again. In the console window hit the backspace key once and type ".old" onto the end of the 2nd copy and press enter. This will rename OpenGL.Framework to OpenGL.Framework.old

Now drag the new OpenGL.Framework into the Framework folder. Make sure you have actually opened the folder and not just listed it inline. You should see Frameworks at the top of the Finder window if it is open. It will ask for authorisation so type your root pswd to give it.

Back in console type "chown -R root:wheel " (note the space) and then drag OpenGL.Framework from Finder to the console and hit enter. Make sure console has focus by clicking in white space inside console.

Then type "chmod -R 755 " (space again) and drag again and again hit enter.

Then type "touch /System/Library/Extensions" in console, or restart and boot with option "-f"

Well i followed your directions... made perfect sense.

I however had problems when i loaded the AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100fb.kext.

I rebooted and it booted to the blue screen and sat there. I had to go in using -s and restore from the backup.

Any other suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

I have an ASUS P5E-VM HDMI motherboard.

I first installed Kalyway 10.5.2, then installed 10.5.3 Kalyway combo update.

I then installed the 2 kext for the X3500 from this thread with kext helper b7.

Now it works with the VGA output, but I get a bluescreen with HDMI though.

I updated to 10.5.4 directly with the Apple dmg file and it works.

If I update to 10.5.5 it hangs at the grey screen.

I updated to 10.5.4 directly with the Apple dmg file and it works.

hi,

what do you mean exactly by "it works" ?

could you get dual output working and hopefully QE/CI rotate under 10.5.4 ?

cause i get the same problem here but in retail 10.5.6 on a P5E-VM hdmi .

the vga out is ok but blue screen on dvi (hdmi to dvi).

as i planed to use both with QE/CI AND rotate, i'm really sad with this board :D

any help would be so apreciated ...

Hello,

Well OpenGl works on VGA output so I guess QE CI is ok (sorry I'm a Mac OS X noob).

I still get a bluescreen on the HDMI output.

How can I test to see if rotate works ?

Thx.

hi,

well you just have to go in Preference Pane then Monitor or display and see if you have a box to check (rotate, pivot) with degres 90,180,270.if not it simply means no support for this card or a wrong driver is loaded.

picture1kk0.png

i've seen so many people buying this mobo in the hope to use the onboard gpu.

as others do, i'll sadely get a PCIe card (like a 7300gs) but the reason i've baught this mobo was i planed to build a low power consumption HACK-MIDI with 2"5 hard drive and slim DVDRW ...