45W Atom 330 D945GCLF2 + Kaliway 10.5.2 + 10.5.3 update :)

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

first, I would like to thank the great OS86X community for creating drivers, patches and work-arounds to let OsX run on non-Apple hardware. Especially, the distro-guys spending a lot of time doing an excellent job deserve a huge thanks!

This is my second home-brew hackintosh. The last one consumed to many power to run 24/7 so i switched to D945GCLF2 (Atom 330) + 2GB + 160GB system disc + extern sata discs for the XBMC in the living room + Sil3114 (4xsata) + picoPSU-120 120W + 12@6A power supply. I've installed Kalyway 10.5.2 and updated it to 10.5.3, removed the small and loud chip-set fan and installed a temperature-controlled quiet 12cm fan. Anything is working perfectly except the sound and the last two of the four sata ports on the Sil3114 card. In this configuration and without the external harddiscs the system consumes 45W. With the two additional external discs it takes about 60W. The system is fast enough to run Azureus on full speed (1.5Mybyte/s on a 16Mbit DSL line) and to serve movies to the XBMC at the same time without any delays.

If you want to have a cheap, quiet and not power-hungry OsX-box, D945GCLF2 is the right decision!

cq

post-313483-1225565213_thumb.png

post-313483-1225565241_thumb.jpg

post-313483-1225565251_thumb.jpg

Congratulations. I've been thinking of building an Atom 330 system but as a media center and download box. I know the Atom 230 and 270 aren't powerful enough for 1080p videos, but the benchmarks never seem to deal with file formats I actually use (most concern themselves with Blu-ray). And they certainly don't do their tests in OSX : )

Would you mind posting cpu usage and general impressions while playing 1080p files? Some test files could be:

Elephant's Dream (http://orange.blender.org/download)

An Apple trailer (http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/thechroniclesofnarnia/hd/)

I couldn't find a freely available 1080p mkv file, but if you have access to one, that would be an excellent test also.

I'd love to cut the amount of electricity used by my htpc and I really hope the dual-core atom can do the job.

Moments after posting, I found someone who had done similar tests on a similar system. So, I guess I have my answers. Atom 330 hd video tests.

• 2 weeks later...
you can acually buy a motherboard with PCI-E 16x with atom i build a pc for my friend with it and we put a 4670 on it and it was able to run 1080p

Can you tell me the brand and model? I´ve searched everywhere and havent found an atom mobo with pcie

• 3 months later...
you can acually buy a motherboard with PCI-E 16x with atom i build a pc for my friend with it and we put a 4670 on it and it was able to run 1080p

i'd like to second the request for brand and model #. I've seen a couple systems out there like the nvidia ion but its not available until apparently the summer. I'd take a model like the D945GCLF2 with a dvi port and be happy but i could make use of a low profile pci-e card i have lying around.