A Terrible Mistake

raziiq

8 posts in this topic

I screwed up my Leopard :D

What i did was, i was trying to replace the PowerManagement.bundle file in System>Library>SystemConfiguration and it was not allowing me to replace and was saying about the Permissions. So i added my User in the Get Info tab of the System and in the Settings i selected "Apply to all the subfolders", and the problem started. Everything seemed ok and i replaced the file as well but when i tried to repair permissions the Disk Utility came up with the Error and so as the Terminal, i then restarted PC n it keeps on restarting after that Apple Grey Screen.

Please Help me :(

That is why you should learn to use the terminal!

Boot in verbose, single user mode (-v and -s in the darwin prompt) and fix your permissions manually from there by typing:

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/SystemConfiguration
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/SystemConfiguration
reboot

You will have to mount the drive before you try this (instructions will be shown right before the prompt appears on the screen).

Good luck!

That is why you should learn to use the terminal!

Boot in verbose, single user mode (-v and -s in the darwin prompt) and fix your permissions manually from there by typing:

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/SystemConfiguration
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/SystemConfiguration
reboot

You will have to mount the drive before you try this (instructions will be shown right before the prompt appears on the screen).

Good luck!

Still the same behavior even after using your commands at Darwin Bootloader. i did that -v -x thingy it did a lot of things and then restarted, so next time i used -s and wrote your commands in single user mode but still i am having that Grey apple screen with spinning wheel and after that my PC restarts everytime.

Any other suggestions??

Ok, the only thing I can think of is to boot from the install DVD and run the Permission Fix from there via Disk Utility.

EDIT:

I took a loot at that directory in my hack. Running the commands I gave should have worked because the owner is root:weel and the permissions are 755. Maybe you did something wrong.

Could you please boot with -v -s again, mount the drive and tell me what you get after typing the commands I listed above?

Also, after fixing the permissions, you could try booting with the -f flag.

Ok, the only thing I can think of is to boot from the install DVD and run the Permission Fix from there via Disk Utility.

EDIT:

I took a loot at that directory in my hack. Running the commands I gave should have worked because the owner is root:weel and the permissions are 755. Maybe you did something wrong.

Could you please boot with -v -s again, mount the drive and tell me what you get after typing the commands I listed above?

Also, after fixing the permissions, you could try booting with the -f flag.

Hey Hecker you are the Man buddy. your commands solved my problem. What i was doing wrong was; i was repairing the Permission for /System/Library/SystemConfiguration which had no effect on my boot problem then suddenly it clicked in my mind that i should repair the permission for the /System Folder, so i did and here i am back on my Desktop :P

Thanks Man, thanks again.