Mac G4 450MHz AGP VGA Card

idrocas

8 posts in this topic

Hi there well I have an Apple Mac G4 450MHz with a VGA card without ADC connector so I like to install a VGA card with ADC connector to plug an Apple Display Studio 17" (M7649), so I like to know if this is possible I mean to install a VGA card with ADC connector over this Mac G4 450MHz to plug the monitor (ADC).

I really appreciate all your information and support.

Thanks in advance,

Rodrigo Castillo

ROC@S

MEXICO

Apple Mac G4 450MHz

You have to identify your SPECIFIC G4. I *assume* we are talking about a PowerMac?

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powe...owermac-g4.html

The two series of G4 Power Macs that have provision for the video card with the ADC connector are the "Gigabit", and the "Digital Audio". The connector is a separate smaller slot type affair, inline with the AGP connector, between the AGP slot and the back of your computer, that indexes with a special connector on the ADC equipped video card, supplying the required voltage to make the monitor work through the ADC connector. With a 450mhz Mac you would not have a "digital audio" (because they come in different speeds, 466,533,633,733), so with some luck you have a "gigabit". If you have a "gigabit" you are off to the races and only need to locate an appropriate video card, the most common useful being the GF2MX 32m found in the "digital audio".

Now, if you don't own such a Mac, possibly owning a "agp", or a "pci", then you have to locate an adapter, because your mainboard lacks the connector for an ADC video card. As you can imagine, these adapters are kinda rare, and so we have to go to the junk guys to buy an adapter:

http://stn2.headgap.com/resale/FMPro?-toke...itors&-find

Down near the bottom of the page is a ADC to DVI adapter ($110US), all fine and dandy if your current video card has a DVI connector, otherwise you will have to change to a card that does. If you are going to end up buying a video card AND an adapter you would likely be better off buying a brand new flat screen monitor (cheaper) and ditching the ADC monitor.

If you can figure out if it will work in your machine then I have a Radeon 9000 Pro that came out of my PM FW800 G4 Dual 1.42ghz machine with ACD connector laying around from when I upgraded to a 9800 Pro a little while back I would consider selling..

If you can figure out if it will work in your machine then I have a Radeon 9000 Pro that came out of my PM FW800 G4 Dual 1.42ghz machine with ACD connector laying around from when I upgraded to a 9800 Pro a little while back I would consider selling..

It is very likely he has an "AGP" G4 and can't use an ADC video card (or at least the ADC feature)

You know we're throwing around acronyms like we're smart or something. Let me clear the water here.

ADC = Apple Display Connection/Connector. It's a plug on a card, nothing more. It was found on nearly every Mac graphics card at the time, such as the GeForce 2, 3, and 4. All of those said cards are, in fact, AGP graphics cards.

If you're hell bent on using your ADC monitor, then you will need an adapter, which can be easily found if you're willing to take two minutes to look for it. But ADC isn't a graphics slot, PERIOD. It's simply a plug.

But ADC isn't a graphics slot, PERIOD. It's simply a plug.

A ADC equipped video card has a, well, secondary connector (in line and in addition to a "normal" AGP connector) through this connector USB, and voltage to drive the monitor, travels. Now this "connector" (on the video card) plugs into a slot on motherboards equipped to support ADC, The "early" G4s (PCI + AGP) do not have this additional slot type connector on the mainboard, so while it is posable to install a ADC video card in an "early" Mac, there is nothing on the mainboard for this portion of the video card to plug into resulting in no voltage for the ADC monitor (or remote USB). No one said it was a "graphics slot".

• 3 weeks later...