Have a hack but need new wifi card (bonjour)

14 posts in this topic

I have a fully working hack using a P5N32-e plus (nforce).

The problem is I'm unable to use anything that requires bonjour (ie iphone remote), I'm putting this down to my wifi usb dongle which has a Zydas chip (anyone think different please let me know as this is driving me CRAZY)

Can anyone recommend where I can get a good internal card that will work well in my hack (its running 10.5.2 at the mo but will be updated) and will be compat with Bonjour.

This ones really stumping me as I've seen the HCL list but the info's a little vague and I cant find those cards.

I'm living in the UK so a UK based retailer or something would be cool.

Cheers guys.

maasey what type of wireless security are you using? I ask because I also have the 542 and although it "work" out of the box, it cannot connect to my network w/ WPA2-personal or WPA1-personal (the WPA2 option doesn't even come up as it does with my macbook) (just gives "failed to connect" error either way), but it can connect fine if i turn off the encryption.

also, semi-relatedly, the card works fine under windows(xp, vista, 03, etc) but allways has a rediculous (and constantly growing) number of error packets displayed on the status page.

any thoughts?

Good question. I have an Airport extreme (wireless n version) and our security is set to WPA/WPA2 Personal. I have the option to go to WPA2 or WEP as well. All three work with my DWA-542. I would try another router. Some MacOS seems to not like some routers. I have had great luck with Airports and D-Link routers. Or try your current router without a password to see if that works. That might allow us to figure something out.

i have the DIR-625 a1, 1.06 fw, and the card connects w/o a password, but cant connect to wpa or wpa2. my macbook is fine so i dont think its the router, at least its not only router by itself.

in osx the card only shows the option for wpa not wpa2 like my macbook does, even though it deffinately supports it. (and limiting the network to g instead of n didnt effect the wpa issue.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
cheers for the recommendation MasseyRacer, I'll see if I can get hold of one and give it a go :(

How did it go, dcrad? I'm also in the UK and would like to set up wireless. I don't think the DWA-542 is available here. Have you found an alternative?

Thanks. I finally got it to work at something faster than a snail's pace today. The antenna is so sensitive to position. I don't dare to breathe near my computer now, but if I hold my breath I have a great wifi connection. I think I'm going to have to get a new antenna.