X31 - max. Memory 512MB; Mobility Radeon 7500; BMDC200

gwali

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm pretty stuck at the moment with installation of Mac OSX 10.5.2. I got it working and updated to 10.5.5 with Combo-Update (Kernel 9.4.0) but a few problems remaining.

1. Only 512 MB Memory shown by system despite 2048MB available (2x1024MB)

2. No driver support (no kext loaded) for Ati Mobility Radeon M7

3. No Bluetooth for IBM BMDC200 or BMDC300

First some hardware-information:

IBM Thinkpad X31 - 1,6 Pentium-M (Banias)

IBM-Board with ICH4

Ati Mobility Radeon 7500 (M7) 16MB

• Vendor: Ati (0x1002)
  • Device-ID: (0x4c59)
  • Revision-ID: (0x0000)
  • VRAM: 128MB (16MB real)
  • Type: Display
  • BUS: PCI (AGP real)

Atheros Wifi (Airport Extreme 0x168C, 0x8331)

AC97-Audio

IBM Bluetooth Module II; IBM Bluetooth Module IIV (BMDC200; BMDC300)

Some software-information:

Mac OSX 10.5.5 installed through Kalyway 10.5.2 install DVD and updated it with official 10.5.5 Combo

Checked Modules in Kalyway:

IP80211Family, wifi_Atheros, SSE2_Jas1048_ACPI_APIC, Lastnetkassmbios, TimeMachineFix, Intel Memory Controller options

other patches:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...1036&st=500 (fixed bootdelay with PC-Card)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=95789 (fixed USB-petction problems)

Now the problems encountered:

• Darwin only boots with 512 MB - MacOSX also doesn't show any more. How can i fix Darwin to show whole system memory? I didn't found any helpfull information, because search after "Darwin 512MB" or "Kalyway 512MB" only shows threads and information (insane and google) about graphic cards with 512MB :-(
  • I didn't found any driver/kext or patch to enable CI/QE and OpenGL in the M7 graphics card. I don't believe QE could be enabled anyway, but CI is software emulated and pretty slow. The only hint i found was in an very old thread dealing with this problem in 10.4.1 (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=11134)
  • Also i didn't found any information about the mentioned bluetoothcards. Does anyone know these and could say something about vendor or possible driver?

I would be really happy if someone can take me a bit further - especially the first two problems. Bluetooth is not really important.

Thanks!

QE and OpenGL could be enable upon this card (and even the X31) with Tiger (8MB (original Apple Hardware - Clamshell), 16MB and 32MB incarnations) - but the related packages (Radeon 7500 packet, callisto 006 and agpgart) are not supported by leopard.

So i believe there has to be a solution :-)

EDIT: Serach for 0x4c59 @ http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.4.8, here is it mentioned

• 1 year later...

sorry for digging up this old topic, but did you succeed? i'm currently on a thinkpad t42 with the same graphics card (memory is 32m), and although i've installed the radeon 7500 kit manually (patched the hardware id's and everything), i just can't get it to work. callisto loads, radeon extensions load, agpgart loads, but still only software ci and not supported qe.

i couldn't install the opengl. framework from the kit, it kept throwing me back to the login screen, so i had to revert to using the xxx 10.5.6 original one.

i'm really confused. system profiler says all the kexts are loaded, and recognizes my card (even the vendor id and stuff). could this be _only_ because of that bloody framework? there has to be some workaround...

apart from this, i have a near-perfect installation for this old machine. sleep is not working (freezes instantly), and i have this video problem, but everything else.. works. even the serial port. :)

• 3 months later...

i've installed the radeon 7500 kit manually (patched the hardware id's and everything), i just can't get it to work. callisto loads, radeon extensions load, agpgart loads, but still only software ci and not supported qe.

system profiler says all the kexts are loaded

apart from this, i have a near-perfect installation for this old machine

Did you manage to get all of the available display resolutions? I have a Thinkpad T30 which has the Mobility Radeon 7500, with Leopard 10.5.1 installed from iATKOS v1.0ir2 with equate1 and badbios patches. I can live without any acceleration but I must have the right resolutions. The T30 LCD panel's preferred resolution is 1400 x 1050 and anything else looks fuzzy. If you did get all the resolutions can you clarify which Radeon 7500 kit you used.

vuillard: actually, i'm not at all sure about iatkos. i've never used that distro. my resolutions worked out of the box (without even installing any radeon pack) with ipc 10.5.6. (suggested here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...type.282374.29)

i don't think i can help you at all, sorry. :( anyway, i've noticed that i _can't_ live without some basic acceleration, since it's not only required by games, but other essential system software too. oh, and don't even try installing a version of tiger (10.4). i've had really bad results. first of all, you don't have cpu frequency scaling, thus the fan is constantly on. and no, acpi-cpufreq does not run. well, it does, but if you slow down the cpu clock speed, the whole system becomes laggy, especially the audio. not to mention after installing the radeon pack and editing the .plist correctly, still only a dozen opengl applications worked, most of them with weird colours. even dosbox had a permanent baby-blue background.

it's just not worth it. :(