Help a nood build a Hackintosh

14 posts in this topic

Well guys/girls, I am brand new to the Apple scene, my gf just got the new Macbook and I love it... I'm not really a laptop fan and the Mac Pro's are a little too expensive for my budget... I am looking to build a fast, reliable Hackintosh, with minimal hacking required to get it up running... Looking to install Kalway 10.5.2...

So, can anyone please help me out with picking everything out so there will be minimal to no hacking required... I've built a few PCs within the last few years, so I am somewhat knowledgable on installing it... I have a 20" HP monitor that I will be using for now and I want to be able to connect my 32" samsung LCD tv to watch movies and stuff... I am looking to have all componant working, like sound, ethernet, usbs... Budget is around $1000

What I'm looking for a a

Core 2 Quad setup with MoBo (thinking about Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600)

4 or 8GB RAM (prefer 8GB depending on price)

.5 to 1TB harddrive (depending on price)

2 dvd burners

pretty good graphics card (nothing cheap but not the best)

pretty good sound card (for 5.1 surround, nothing cheap but not the best)

Built in bluetooth and wifi (Prefer PCI for both)

Mini Case w/ power supply and fans (clean looking case, nothing fancy or goddy, the smaller the better) (I reallt like the Mini P180 White case, what do you guys think?)

Also will the Apple Wireless Keyboard & Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse work?

Good plan, but the 8800 is a highend card. I'd suggest the 8600 GT if you want a medium end card.

Thanks, I'll look into that card... I was wondering can I use a Mac Pro casing?? I found 2 on eBay and that would be pretty cool to use...

The 8800GT is not that high end of a card any more. I would go with it or the 9800GT as the price seems to be better on those. Plus there is new support out for the 9800GT now with the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

Also the P35 chipset is on its way out. I would recommend going to P45. There is now good support for the P45s. The P45s support up to 16GB of RAM, and the X48 only supports 8GB. I have a GA-EP45-DS3R build that is 100% working. Well as 100% as a hackintosh can get.

The 8800GT is not that high end of a card any more. I would go with it or the 9800GT as the price seems to be better on those. Plus there is new support out for the 9800GT now with the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

Also the P35 chipset is on its way out. I would recommend going to P45. There is now good support for the P45s. The P45s support up to 16GB of RAM, and the X48 only supports 8GB. I have a GA-EP45-DS3R build that is 100% working. Well as 100% as a hackintosh can get.

Thanks for the info, here's what I'm think of now... Let me know what you think...

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail

PNY Optima 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model MD4096KD2-667 - Retail x2

EVGA 512-P3-N980-AR GeForce 9800 GT Hybrid Power 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

And then the same HDD, DVD burner and CPU fan and previous...

Yeah, the RAM for that system is not a good deal, and not a good match for that board. For the same price you can get 2x 2GB of DDR2 800- which is the least speed I would suggest for that board. For just a little bit more, you can step up to DDR2 1066.

Yeah, the RAM for that system is not a good deal, and not a good match for that board. For the same price you can get 2x 2GB of DDR2 800- which is the least speed I would suggest for that board. For just a little bit more, you can step up to DDR2 1066.

I don't know if I am going to OC, I was told it was reccomended... Should I just use the RAM that I was gonna use on the other motherboard? The Kingston HyperX 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory - Retail x4

I am not over-clocking and my system reads my RAM at DDR2 800. Get at least DDR2 800. DDR2 800 is dirt cheap right now. I went with DDR2 1066 as I was not sure which setup I was going with, and it was safe. !066 is at a good price point right now as well.

I'm gonna go with the 1066 becuae on newegg the kingston 1066 that is the same price as the 800 because it has a $30 mail in rebate... So does everything else to look for a easy and reliable setup, I'm going to start ordering it Monday...

I am not over-clocking and my system reads my RAM at DDR2 800. Get at least DDR2 800. DDR2 800 is dirt cheap right now. I went with DDR2 1066 as I was not sure which setup I was going with, and it was safe. !066 is at a good price point right now as well.

I am looking to go the Boot 132, do you have an iso or know where I can find the correct iso for this setup.. I don't have access to a Mac to build one, not that I would know how to anyway LOL

Look in the EP45-DS3R forum, I have posted a Boot 132 that works for me. However, some are having some difficulty with it. Grub DFE works well. Once you are at 10.5.5 you can copy the extension from my ISO and those should work no problem. My EP45-DS3R works better than my P5K-VM.

Ok will I found the boot cd, now I'm gonna start ordering the parts... let you know when it comes in and the build is one... I'm just nervous i;m gonna spend the money and i;m not gonna get osx to work LOL... i guess it's the first time jitters