Installed Leopard on HP Pavilion zv6000

theprizefighter

6 posts in this topic

I finished installing Leopard on a HP zv6000 laptop. The specs of the laptop are:

Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0 GHz processor

512MB of PC2700 RAM

128MB ATI Xpress 200m video (dedicated memory)

8x Dual Layer DVD+/-RW drive

15.4" wide screen (BrightView)

40 GB 4,200 RPM Hard Drive

I was able to set up a dual boot, partitioned for Leopard and Windows XP Pro. Everything works great except I am only able to get 1024x768. In XP I get a much better 1280x800. Not sure if there is a solution, but I will look (if anyone has any advice, I'd be grateful). Also, the sound and my wireless card (myessentials - I am so cheap!) is not working. Ethernet is (as I am posting now). I used the kalaway version and had some trouble with error messages so I burned the DVD at 1X in imgburn from Windows XP. It booted, and I went to options and carefully checked the options that I thought would fit my laptop and had to redo this three times before I finally got it to boot into Leopard.

I normally run Windows XP/Linux configurations (Different distros -- prefer fluxbox as my WM) and am not used to Leopard but I like tinkering with things so it was fun. I will search for solutions to getting the video, wireless and sound working. Any would links, help, advice would be appreciated. Anyway, most things work just fine in a HP zv6000 laptop.

Thanks much.

O nice, i have the same Laptop but 10.5.1 Version do not work, i use the option "-x -v" (and without) but there come´s an Message "waiting for boot device". I´ve already installed WinXP version on this HDD, it maybe a Problem?

sorry for my bad engl. ;-)

Use the version that I did (kalyway) and in the options I did not select any video graphics, used the speedstep kernel 9and of course all the mandatory ones needed for the AMD processor) -- Burn it at 1x speed, any faster and I had no luck. As far as having XP on your box, it is not a problem. I downloaded EASEUS partition manager (it's free -- google it) and partioned my hard drive from within Windows. I then followed this guide for a dual boot:

http://osx86.thefreesuite.com/leo_amd.php

• 7 months later...

I had dual boot running on my Zv6130US last year. I upgraded the CPU to Athlon 4000+ and 1.28GB RAM and got xbench of 76. It was all OK, the wireless worked fine - just edited the Broadcom plist with the vendor/version numbers 1002;4318 (I think). The sound was great. I think it was the HD audio . I didn't use the LAN. Only prob with the sound was if you used the volume buttons it "took off" to max. If I used the desktop icon it was fine. Only thing that was not right was that the Radeon Xpress 200 chip would not enable QE/CI, and as far as I know nobody has yet cracked that one. It would play video full screen OK with Quicktime Player. After installing Callisto 003fix I got screen resolution 1280x800. USBFIX1.3 fixed the USBs and the powermanagement package got the battery icon going. Good luck.

• 1 year later...

hee guys im going to have an hp zv6000 soon and i'm going to instal mac osx right away when i get it but i came with some help.

the things you need to make your screen settings so you can change is a correct driver of the videocard dont know if its there maybe there is a third party driver but you need that just like when windows xp doenst have a driver your stuck in 640*480 16bits resolution i had that and for the audio i should chek a AC97 driver that works on almost everything and network same story as the videocard search for an driver its hard to find but there wil be one that will work i would like to hear from some people how they installed mac on ther ZV6000 and wich drivers they have used extra. i have Ipc 10.5.6 and an I ATKOS 10.5.1 if somebody used that i would like to hear what they had done ;) i never had luck with iatkos so i dont recomend it but ipc is real nice i think

Grtz Mathijs

• 3 months later...

I've been working on this HP zv6000 recently. I found that the best distro is Kalyway 10.5.2, always burn it at the slowest speed possible, trust me. I also tried Hazard Snow Leopard, iAktos 10.5.7, Leo4All 10.5.2, iDeneb 10.5.6, iDened 10.5.7. Most wouldn't boot or they would loop somewhere trying to find a hard disk, can't remember every problem with each distro. Anyway, even if it's not the most current release of OS X, 10.5.2 works pretty well. It took me forever to get the resolution working, because Callisto's website was offline right during my effort, so I couldn't find his kext. Finally one morning I woke up and his archive site was back online. Only Callisto_b003fixed works with the video on the zv6000. The way that worked for me was to download it, take all permissions of the kext files under root user (you have to enable root user in the app called "Directory Utility," look on-line for instructions). I'm not sure if you absolutely need to do it as root but why not. Anyway, after that, edit the info.plist file in CaliistoHAL.kext using TextEdit. On the line that says <string>0x41501002&0xffffffff</string> change the 4150 to 5955, because that's the device ID of the Xpress 200m. After you edit that, use Kext Helper b7 to install both Callisto.kext and CallistoHAL.kext at the same time. After you reboot, go into System Preferences and the display resolutions should now match the card (1280x800) so select that one. Once you get to that step you'll sigh with relief seeing the resolution finally look normal, if you did everything correctly. Callisto also includes instructions in his file so you can always follow those, but I found that the best way was to edit that info.plist file BEFORE you install the kexts using kext helper. By the way, I should have written down what patches/settings I used when I installed OSX because now I can't remember exactly. I do remember that you don't have to use any of the network drivers from the Kalyway 10.5.2, Airport and Ethernet work out of box, which is great. Also, I used AMD patch test 1 every time I re-installed so I don't know if there's a better one or what. There is an installer app on the internet called USB Fix 1.3 that fixes the USB interface because USB doesn't work out of box. Search the internet for that too, but it's nice because it's an installer and you don't have to do any coding or hacking. Unfortunately I couldn't get the sound to work, maybe I didn't select the right patch in the install, I don't know. I happened to have a USB Sound Blaster and I use that for sound, but DO NOT use the volume buttons on the laptop because they have no limit, if you press volume up once, it will go to maximum, if you press volume down once, it will go to minimum. So just use the slider within OSX.

I couldn't get the battery indicator to work either so you won't know how much batter life you have. This probably has something to do with the power management bundle but I tried the one off the dvd and it didn't work.

Don't try to use Software update to update OSX. It will break the installation. I tried it. You can update iTunes and Quicktime, but not OSX itself.

Be prepared to re-install it a few times because it never works the first time, and you'll probably make mistakes. But don't give up. Also, I hope you don't plan on using it as your main machine because I don't believe any osx86 project is stable enough, especially since the hardware is mostly incompatible.

This was just a hobby project since I was bored so I wasn't hoping for a completely useful Hackintosh. It was fun but not worth the stress if you are trying to have a stable system. I've read about some easier and more compatible Hackintosh projects but I still recommend buying an actual Mac if you like OSX. The hardware is compatible, they're fast, and you get support. But if you like doing this as a hobby, go for it. It's kind of fun.