Lets make the Studio 15 a Hackintosh!

CompCrasher86

20 posts in this topic

Hey everyone I'll make it short and save it for the tutorial that I am making as we speak, but I think we need a thread devoted to the Dell Studio, and getting OSX working on it.

My studio has an Intel Core 2 Duo T8100, 4gb Ram, 320gb hard drive, an Intel GMAX3100, the Intel 965 Express Chipset, an integrated webcam by Creative Technologies, an alps touchpad, Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet, a Dell Wireless 1397 (Broadcom 4315) WiFi, Dell Bluetooth 370 (made by broadcom), and the IDT High Definition Audio Codec. I am pretty sure nearly everything on this list has the capability of working with OSX, and lots of it already does...

I tried a previous install with Kalyway with no avail, but I hear others have had great luck with iAtkos V3. I remember not having to tweak the webcam, it worked natively. The screen is a basic 1280x800 widescreen....

Heres some information on the hardware:

• GMA X3100 : VID= 8086 and DevID=2A02
  • Intel ICH8M SATA Controller: VID=8086 and DevID=2829
  • Ricoh SD/MMC controller: VID=1180 and DevID = 0843
  • Integrated Webcam (Creative Tech): VID=05CA and PID=18A0
  • Alps Touchpad: HID=PNP0F13
  • Broadcom NetLink Gigabit Ethernet: VID=14E4 and DevID=1698
  • Dell Wireless 1397 (Broadcom 4315): VID=14E4 and DevID=4315
  • IDT HD Audio Codec: VID=111D and DevID=7675
  • Intel HDMI Audio Out: VID=1095 and DevID=1392
  • Dell Bluetooth Mini-card 370 (Broadcom-Based): VID=4136 and PID=8156

I know the X3100 Graphics are compatible with some tweaking and the ICHX Patch can be applied. I have no knowledge of the functionality of the SD reader. The Webcam is natively compatible (woohoo!) The touchpad, I am curious if it will support multi-touch. The Ethernet I do not know about. The WiFi works with the Broadcom 43xx patch. Apparently there is a new solution out for IDT audio, check the link at the bottom of the post. The bluetooth, I do not know about either, I am not sure if it works or if it can work.

I will post again with my results with my leo install.

Also, if there are any resources I can provide, please feel free to post below or PM me

IDT Audio Fix:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry939390

**Note about IDT Audio. The preceeding link describes how to get it working on IDT audio with Device ID 76B2. The studio has a Device ID of 7675. Read through the entire thread before starting because it seems like there are some confusing steps and deviations

as of an hour ago, I have Leopard installed on my studio 15 and its working great now. I did not have internet where I was so I injected my Wireless card's Device ID into IO80211.kext and its working great, didnt even need Broadcom_Enabler. IF you have a Dell 1397 in your laptop and your having problems.. you can PM me for help, wait for my guide in a day or two, or just install my custom kext which I attached to this post. I highly suggest kexthelper, it does things right. Restart after installing kext for full functionality.

IO80211Family.kext.zip

The GMAX3100 is working now as well! For those who are having problems with your display going to sleep on boot, you need to use a special workaround called the sleep corner trick. When your laptop starts up and the display turns off, unplug it and close the lid (make sure it has a well charged battery) let it sit for 15-20 minutes and then open it back up and move your finger around on the trackpad, the screen should come on. Finish the welcome wizard then get into OSX. Click Apple > System Preferences > Expose and Spaces then set the bottom left active screen corner to "sleep display" Now whenever the computer starts up and goes black, wait a couple seconds, then just move your mouse (imagine you can see it) to the bottom left corner of the screen (may take a couple strokes). There is an applescript type thing out now that does this automatically for you but I have not tried it yet so I wont post until I have experience with it.

I am installing the audio ow, I am doing a much-needed full tutorial with pictures and everything

Can't wait for it! I want to install but don't want it to be 1/2 working. I will probobly have to wait for the Dell 1510 Wireless-N Card to work before I start it up. I do have a USB one that works but I'll just stick with XP on it for now. I like the internet!!!

Good luck on the tut. and thanks in advance

Thanks HP Mac, I had the same mindset as you but my Vista was bluescreening and everything, it was time to go. As of now I have the computer in a pretty operable state, but still some sound glitches. I am halfway there with the sound. It is now being recognized in system profiler and is displaying the available input and output resources. However, Leopard is not allowing me to select it as an audio output. I am really close, I sent out a couple of e-mails and compiled a couple codec dumps so its not long!

Its just so close: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=37122

In other news, I have gotten 2-finger scrolling working great, an I've done a fair amount of tweaking. I had to set the zAcceptThreshold all the way down to 30 in order to get a good scroll. It may require additional tweaking on your end but heres com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Trackpad.plist that worked well for me. IF you dont know what to do with this, wait for my tutorial or check around in the Tutorials section for one thats already been written

Studio15TrackpadTweak.zip

Heres how to bypass the expose trick

Hey everyone, heres a nice solution to bypass having to go to the expose corner when it starts up:

1. First off, extract the file from my attachment (at the bottom of this post) and put it right in your home folder (the one with your name on it)
  2. Second, open up a terminal window
  3. Type
    sudo su

Then press enter

4. Enter your password into terminal (if you have one) then press enter
  5. type "pico /etc/rc.local"
  6. Copy the following but replace my name with your username
    # Sleep display on boot

/Users/Matt/SleepDisplay.app/Contents/MacOS/sleepdisplay

[*]Go back into "pico" and paste (Command+V) the above code into the top of the file

[*]Press Control+X to exit

[*]Press Y for yes

[*]Press Enter to confirm

[*]Now copy this code:

chmod +x /etc/rc.local

[*]And paste that into terminal end press enter

[*]Now type "exit" and press enter

[*]Turn off Auto login under System Preferences/Accounts/Login Options (you may have to click the little padlock in order to be able to make changes)

[*]Reboot and enjoy!

p.s. I suggest leaving the expose corner as a fallback in case something goes wrong

SleepDisplay.zip

Miscellaneous Minor Problems:

The Webcam is recognized and works great in photobooth, skype, and for taking account pics, etc. However, when I tried to use it with iChat, no avail. All I get is a blank screen where my video should be. The camera light even turns on, just no image.... I also tried using it in a web inerface situation. While on Facebook, the site is able to access my camera to take a picture, but when I try to access it for video, I get "Camera Not Found" despite the fact that the camera light turns on.

Oh and also, I hear bluetooth is supposed to be native... well its not. My Dell Wireless 370 (its broadcom based) is not being recognized, even when I injected it's information into the IOBluetoothfamily.kext Hmmmm, any solutions?

I tried the hackintosh with my old lappy and everyhting worked except I had to use a USB wifi... I just don't have any need for a mac. other than to just say I did it.

I think that is the case for 99% of the people here.

Also, I just read in another thread that the 1510 wireless N is working... no details, just that his worked.

If they build all the drivers for it I'll do it, but getting XP on this Vista only lappy was a pain enough :-)

Trust me, I am so frustrated with this whole thing, but the feeling when you actually get it right is just so awesome. I actually really want Apple mostly for iLife, and it feels like the Studio would be the perfect laptop for such a thing. Now unfortunately, I kind of just bricked my whole install, trying to update to 10.5.5. Luckily I am dual booting with Vista so I had a fall back operating system. I would really hate to lose all of the work I did, so hopefully I can get MacDrive for vista and repair OSX to a bootable state. I backed up my extensions folder before updating, so my HDA work is safe, I just wont be able to get at it for a while...

Nice work Compcrasher. There's a similar thread at this address: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...4235&st=100

I have installed from ideneb 10.5.5 and report the following:

Working:

Integrated webcam (took a pic =)

Firewire (haven't tested, but recognized)

AHCI mode for HD

ICH8

Fingerprint reader

Wireless 1397 w/ bcm43xx_enabler.sh

Not working:

Video (HD 3450)

Sound

Not sure:

HDMI

Bluetooth

Regarding sound, is sound coming out of the speakers or is the IDT just "recognized"?

audio is not working. I have gotten it to be recognized in system profiler as well as recognize the jacks, but it is not an option for audio out under system preferences so OSX isnt using it

• 1 month later...
Nice work Compcrasher. There's a similar thread at this address: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...4235&st=100

I have installed from ideneb 10.5.5 and report the following:

Working:

Integrated webcam (took a pic =)

Firewire (haven't tested, but recognized)

AHCI mode for HD

ICH8

Fingerprint reader

Wireless 1397 w/ bcm43xx_enabler.sh

Not working:

Video (HD 3450)

Sound

Not sure:

HDMI

Bluetooth

Regarding sound, is sound coming out of the speakers or is the IDT just "recognized"?

I know that this is an old post but how do you know that your fingerprint scanner is working other than just being identified in the system profiler?

• 1 year later...

CompCrasher86 is the hero here,

altough being a long reader of insanelymac

but hackintosh sure a lot difficult and trouble especially for

Snow Leopard type

"Ouch it hurts mac please why you hate us such a cute mac"

This thread is very special too all reader who comes in here

And it's our special lounge too

but we should make everyone use this kind of DELL STUDIO

as it's already new and hot item

maybe not too long go buy it

you loss too much if you can't get this item

"powerfull RADEON for almost High end gaming"

"such a powerfull ATI RADEON already inside

why should i want to buy a expensive mac which

don't update the better Graphic card such as our

ATI RADEON 4570"

we don't want to support hackintoshbut mac want the software is exclusive to mac only so why not go for hackintosh, especially if you want to go into powerfull engine of PC

mac actually got less power of hardware inside for expensive price

I have a suggestion "why don't we move and join dell special ultimate community thread" for hackintosh,

it's sure nice to have a lot distro of dell already perfect or beta use for any DELL in one thread to try

and I'm sure it will make Studio 15 got an advantage point as long it don't bother your personal life

"CompCrasher86"

A lot more of user a lot more of fun and friends but got a lot more to do right

:gun:

I want to make everyone buy Studio 15 for hackintosh

at least they will try the full power of engine of branded DELL Studio inside the dell brands

Here is the review why should you buy a DELL STUDIO 15 :D

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-S...ok.17767.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-ATI-Mobil...70.13885.0.html

Have Fun and Keep Dell Studio 15 be the Winner,

we know it's a good laptop and sold everywhere (even in asian too)

it means we are brother with the same DELL laptop

CMIIW - sorry it's just an opinion :D

My DELL Studio will be the most incompatible

because i got RADEON 4570 inside, and sure it's need a lot work to made a new driver for 4570

"The biggest major problem is the video problem because the supported is intel GMA and Nvidia Ge Force series"

but since there are ATI Radeon HD in Dell Studio 15

this will be the main problem this thread going along the way and become a hackintosh

Have Dell Studio 1535. Exposé SleepDisplay trick didn't fix boot sleep... had high hopes on that one :o

Everything else is working great. Just wanted to know if there are any fixes for Power Management - sleep when laptop is closed, for instance.

Webcam, Video, Sound and Broadcom drivers for wireless work OOTB. Ethernet had to be fixed. There's a link to it on this forum and wiki.osx86project.org.

Trackpad works great!

Will keep you posted. PM me if you need any assistance.

cheers!

Have Dell Studio 1535. Exposé SleepDisplay trick didn't fix boot sleep... had high hopes on that one :P

Everything else is working great. Just wanted to know if there are any fixes for Power Management - sleep when laptop is closed, for instance.

Webcam, Video, Sound and Broadcom drivers for wireless work OOTB. Ethernet had to be fixed. There's a link to it on this forum and wiki.osx86project.org.

Trackpad works great!

Will keep you posted. PM me if you need any assistance.

cheers!

I am also trying to get sleep working, the best I can do is on a 10.5.6 install, I get sleep with wakeup after about 10 secs (after hibernate file is written). Wake reason = PCI. Have modified dsl.aml, can't seem to figure it out....

I am also trying to get sleep working, the best I can do is on a 10.5.6 install, I get sleep with wakeup after about 10 secs (after hibernate file is written). Wake reason = PCI. Have modified dsl.aml, can't seem to figure it out....

I did it!

Go to Accounts - Login Items and drag the SleepDisplay file as a hidden login item. When you restart voilà... desktop is there, shining.

But now I have Wireless issues... maybe Airport update crashed it? Gonna restart... again.

• 9 months later...