Customized, installed software, reboot and now no GUI

Tatsh

5 posts in this topic

Basically, I used the dd method and this worked, updated with a patch from McMac, and everything was still great. I then started installing all kinds of apps. They all worked fine, except for when they started exiting randomly. I then decided to restart the notebook.

Now, whenever I boot (and I have tried safe mode and it's worst), it skips the log on (displays for a second then goes away), then it randomly shows bash (asking me to log in, tried this as well, goes away to fast), then it displays the blue screen again with cursor like it's about to load the GUI. Unfortunately, this is where it hangs.

Coming from an all Windows world, I have no idea what to do here, other than redo the dd and start all over again and then cross my fingers.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: -s also produces the same result except the log on never shows (usual) and the Bash never pops up.

Yes, that's seriously what happens. Maybe I should make a video.

What happens when I do -x is I get brought into the OS (past the apple logo), the logon shows and then randomly disappears, then I get brought into the console with nothing to do except log in. Is there a way to get out of it and back into the GUI? If there is I don't know the command. sh /etc/rc gives "unbound variable". I'm really at a standstill and would like to avoid reinstalling.