DELL XPS 630

slapman

39 posts in this topic

Hi friend I have a xps 630 too but with sli, can u xplain me how to remove the 2nd card? the upper or the lower? wich cables do I need to unplug and then? thank u so much

I tried just removing the big black cable and the one that connect 1 video card to the other but asa I switch on my pc I hear a loud whistle.

Hi friend I have a xps 630 too but with sli, can u xplain me how to remove the 2nd card? the upper or the lower? wich cables do I need to unplug and then? thank u so much

I tried just removing the big black cable and the one that connect 1 video card to the other but asa I switch on my pc I hear a loud whistle.

->to use Leopard, you must open your XPS tower and remove the second video card from the slot, not the cable only..

Regarding my CD/DVD drive I will try again and this time check [/size]Nforce ATA TEST

-> you can download the NFORCE ATA TEST from "medievil" user topic link : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=77071

and you don't need to réinstall all , just download the AppleNForceATA.kext.TEST.zip then unstuff it and install this Kext using kext helper, then reboot it has worked for me...no need to do a new complete installation...

A question for wsad, how were you able to install iLife09 is the software requirements are for OS 10.5.6 while we have the 10.5.5. I did not try iLife09 but I did try iWork09 and was not able to do anything since it asks for 10.5.6?

-> i got i life08 and it working, i didn't try with the 09, but if you need 10.5.6 to get 09, i see people on the forum who has done upadte to 10.5.6 but it looks it doesn't work for all, so i don't want to try to do update to 10.5.6...i could loose all my system...

Hi, to be honest with you I don't remember, I found it somewhere in a website while looking for a fix for photoshop. You need to find this file

SystemVersion.plist

and change the version to 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 twice in the file and iLife 09 will work. Sorry I don't remember the path, but at least it can help :)

Thank you all for always updating this topic.

Now my replies:

1. for Slapman. Thank you Slapman, I downloaded the file you suggested, installed it and my DVD drive reads just fine now. No need for new installation of OS. Thank you for that.

2. to Wsad, thank you for the advice, it worked great. Now, I have iWork 09 and iLife 09 working fine even on the 10.5.5 which is now detected as 10.5.6

3. to Zipre, you have to remove the top card, it is an easy process but do it gently. First turn off your computer, unplug the power, open the tower. Then, on the top card try to remove the video power plug, black clor on the back of the card, do it gently, lift up a little the security switch on the power plug. Now, remove the SLI bridge, it connects the two cards, that's easy to do it. Finally, remove the card from the mother board slot. There is a security switch, blue color on the left, right on the slot, lift it up, do it gently.

To pracice a little try first to remove a pci card if you have one (wireless card, etc.) Just keep in mind that the video card slot has a security switch, blue color, you have to lift it before you can remove the card.

Almost needless to say, there is a srew to remove and the little black secutiy plug right next to the screw.

Now, my comments about additional improvements:

1. DVD burning, any recommendation? I found a BurnPatch, haven't tried it yet.

2. front hear plug and front mic-in not working, any recommendation?

3. sleep mode very instable

So far, these are the only unresolved issues as far as I can see. The rest works great.

Has anybody tried wmware from Vista?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have ideneb 10.5.6 installed on my xps 1530 laptop no problem.. I have a 630 and decided to play around some.

Using the "same" DVD I used to load the laptop I get "SAM MULTIMEDIA read or write" errors then it tells me it is still waiting for root device.

I installed a 2nd hard drive (PATA) just for osx thinking it was a SATA issue.

I am going to see if I can borrow a USB DVD drive.. maybe that will fix it. Is strange that others haven't had any issues..

Anyone have any ideas??

Hi, I have ideneb 10.5.6 installed on my xps 1530 laptop no problem.. I have a 630 and decided to play around some.

Using the "same" DVD I used to load the laptop I get "SAM MULTIMEDIA read or write" errors then it tells me it is still waiting for root device.

I am going to see if I can borrow a USB DVD drive.. maybe that will fix it. Is strange that others haven't had any issues..

Anyone have any ideas??

It seems that we all used iDeneb 10.5.5 and then tweaked it to show it as 10.5.6 even though it is still 10.5.5. You are using 10.5.6 so perhaps there is some incompatibility. You might want to try a different download of 10.5.6 or simply get the 10.5.5 and then either tweak it or update (for real) to 10.5.6. No issues at all installing 10.5.5, never tried 10.5.6 I didn't even know it was available.

• 2 months later...

Slapman,

Months ago, I talked about wanting to install OSX on my Dell XPS 630... Well, I am finally getting around to it.

Unfortunately, I am stumbling right out of the gates and need some help.

I downloaded ideneb v 1.4 which is 10.5.6... burned it on a disc... that part seems to be fine.

I inserted the disc into the desktop, directly boot to it, and I get the grey screen with the apple logo in the middle. After the spinning hashmarks go on for a few minutes, I get this icon:

grayscreen.jpg

Do I need to prep my system (change settings in BIOS or whatever, install drivers, etc) prior to installing with the disc?

I also have a RAID 0 setup (came like this on my Dell XPS)... and I just went ahead and added another hard drive (a blank drive just for OS X) so I'm wondering if the RAID configuration is tripping up the installation? I have very limited knowledge about setting up RAIDs.

Any advice on what to do so I can get this working? Thanks! Anyone willing to walk me through this process?

I guess some of you have encountered more difficulties with 10.5.6? Should I try 10.5.5 instead?

pshan

Hello everybody

i'm running now a dual boot : Vista / Leopard 10.5.5 on my Dell XPS 630.

what you need to do is :

1/ remove physically the second card video if you have a SLI

2/ Install Leopard using the latest "ideneb 10.5.5'"

3/ to get sound, use the basic audio card on the DEll XPS 630 ( not the xtreme gamer)

To have a dual boot, i bought a new hard drive ( 160 Gb is enough), i have installed Leo on this disk.

and now when i want to choose "Vista" or "Leo", i just press F12 when the PC start up. You don't need any software.

The system is very fast and very stable, my intel core 2 duo E8500 3.16Ghz is recognised when i do "about this mac", ram is ok.. i tried lots of mac applications and it is working fine. Have a look to my screenshots.

If someone have news about "xtreme gamers" sound drivers, let me know please.

Best regards

Slapman

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any ideas??

Madbuda,

Did you figure out how to install 10.5.6 on the 630? If so, I would love some assistance. Thanks!

pshan

• 2 months later...

I created a bootable USB installation from my laptop in order to install on my 630. It appears the issue is the SATA CD/DVD

Hope this helps (sorry so late) I am just now thinking about giving it another go now that I have some spare hdd laying around.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey Guys,

I had good luck installing ipc on my xps 630i. that is not my concern, i am havind another isseu, I am trying to install snow on the xps630i but it wont let me do it. It get stuck at some point telling me he could not enumerate a device. ;)

Can anybody help me out here? Or does anybody know a guide to do so? I tried Hazard and a custom thing already without success, also the 630i way don't work for me either :( :(

Hope some of you can help me out here........i

Did anyone got Snow Leopard running on there XPS 630i?

Retail, iAtkos or hazard? I tried it al, but can't get it to install on a internal hard drive.

When I try to get it to install on a internal HD after a installation it says IOUSBfamily has trouble enumarating a usb device that has been plugged in - keep on retrying and then waiting for root device and it does nothing anymore....

I don't have anything plugged in and Snow leopard will install on a external hd.

But I want it internal....

I have a dual boot xps 420 with win7 and snow universal running...

But my xps 630i is a mystery to me.... can't get it to work.

Any advice?

My specs...

• 8 months later...