DELL XPS 630

slapman

39 posts in this topic

Hello everybody

i'm running now a dual boot : Vista / Leopard 10.5.5 on my Dell XPS 630.

what you need to do is :

1/ remove physically the second card video if you have a SLI

2/ Install Leopard using the latest "ideneb 10.5.5'"

3/ to get sound, use the basic audio card on the DEll XPS 630 ( not the xtreme gamer)

To have a dual boot, i bought a new hard drive ( 160 Gb is enough), i have installed Leo on this disk.

and now when i want to choose "Vista" or "Leo", i just press F12 when the PC start up. You don't need any software.

The system is very fast and very stable, my intel core 2 duo E8500 3.16Ghz is recognised when i do "about this mac", ram is ok.. i tried lots of mac applications and it is working fine. Have a look to my screenshots.

If someone have news about "xtreme gamers" sound drivers, let me know please.

Best regards

Slapman

post-310290-1227026743_thumb.jpg

post-310290-1227026751_thumb.jpg

post-310290-1227026760_thumb.jpg

post-310290-1227026767_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for this post. It seems like the community of Dell XPS 630 is small so it is very good to see this documented here. I will give this a try using your method of installing on a separate hard drive.

Do you remember specifically which drivers you had to download separately? Also, I noticed the version of Leopard installed is in French... is there a way to have the menus be in english?

My machine:

XPS 630

Intel Core 2 Q6600 2.4 GHz

4 Gig Corsair Dominator DDR2 SDRAM 800 MHz

nVidia GeForce 8800 GT 512 mb

SATA 2 RAID 1 with Dual 500 GB hard drives

Can't wait to see how this performs...

Hi Pshan

yes you're right, the Dell XPS 630 community is poor in this forum, that's why i tried differents technics alone to get the mac system working on it.

Of course during installation, you choose you're language, and English is by default ))

For choosing the good drivers, i remember for audio it was ALC888Audio, and the rest, i just put what corresponding the most to my machine. If you're not a newbie in computer, you should find...

Try to install it by yourself and if you've got trouble, post on my topic, i will help you

hi, in the iDeneb 10.5.5 install, you need to put these essential drivers : Kernel Speedstep, ALC888Audio, Nvinject, AppleNForceATA (chipset), put all apple bios, and put the Fix drivers for ACPI, CPus=1, power off fix. it should work

to get audio stable, you need to go to the BIOS (dell) and put HDMI for audio.

after, when you are in OS X, you will need "carbonlib_FIX" (easy to find in the forum) for launching appli installers.

Let me know if it is ok for you or if you have trouble.

Slapman

my config :

XPS630

Core 2 Duo 3.16GHZ

8800GT 512mb

3GB ram

Dual boot Vista / Leopard

Your advice worked beautifully. I'm glad I came across your post yesterday, as I was about try installing ideneb for the first time.

I managed to get everything up and running, configured my wireless, etc.

I have two brief questions (heh. more like "question groups" :wacko: ) that I hope you have a spare moment to anwer:

1) I have an XPS quadcore 2.0Ghz (8800GT 512mb, 4GB). Does the cpus=1 fix (which I applied, which probably allowed my install to complete successfully) limit me to only one of the cores? If so, is there any process to reactivate the other cores? If not, is there any app that can show me the load (graphically or otherwise) of the 4 cores? Would there be another kernel that would allow use of all the cores?

2) Did you do anything with EFI to load more specific drivers, after you installed? Or more generally, did you do any post-install tweaking once it was all up and running that improved performance?

Thanks very much for your post! I was suprised it worked so well right off the bat...

--martinu--

hi, in the iDeneb 10.5.5 install, you need to put these essential drivers : Kernel Speedstep, ALC888Audio, Nvinject, AppleNForceATA (chipset), put all apple bios, and put the Fix drivers for ACPI, CPus=1, power off fix. it should work

to get audio stable, you need to go to the BIOS (dell) and put HDMI for audio.

after, when you are in OS X, you will need "carbonlib_FIX" (easy to find in the forum) for launching appli installers.

Hey martinu

1) you're right, only 1 core is on, i red a topic who said to open file :com.Apple.boot.plist /Library/Preferences/Systemconfiguration/ with "text edit" change the "1" by "2" (cpus=2)

saving using admin password, then reboot.

i tried it, but my system became slow. i went to applications/utilities/system information and in "materials", i saw well the 2 cores recognised. but to get back to a fast and stable system, i had to reput Cpus=1

i remember i tried to install all kernel types, but i had crash, the only working was kernel speedstep.

Maybe if you try to disable the "speedstep" option in the Dell Bios and choose another type of kernel during the installation, it could work, i don't know. If someone could try and post the results, it would be nice..

2) The only post installations i did was "Carbonlib_FIX.pkg" for fixing Software installer errors and "aboutthismacmodifier.zip" to get processor name and ram in "about this mac".

Slapman

I tried the same (but with cpus=4, for my system), with the same result. It slowed to a crawl. It booted, but it was painfully slow. Not sure where to go from here :-/

Hey martinu

1) you're right, only 1 core is on, i red a topic who said to open file :com.Apple.boot.plist /Library/Preferences/Systemconfiguration/ with "text edit" change the "1" by "2" (cpus=2)

saving using admin password, then reboot.

i tried it, but my system became slow. i went to applications/utilities/system information and in "materials", i saw well the 2 cores recognised. but to get back to a fast and stable system, i had to reput Cpus=1

i remember i tried to install all kernel types, but i had crash, the only working was kernel speedstep.

Maybe if you try to disable the "speedstep" option in the Dell Bios and choose another type of kernel during the installation, it could work, i don't know. If someone could try and post the results, it would be nice..

2) The only post installations i did was "Carbonlib_FIX.pkg" for fixing Software installer errors and "aboutthismacmodifier.zip" to get processor name and ram in "about this mac".

Slapman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry guys I'm new to PC.

I tried Roxio CD Creater (packaged with computer) and the CD burner XP you suggested. each time I burn the DVD nothing.

I have the iDeneb_v1.3_10.5.5_ISO folder.

Within it is:

iDeneb_v1.3_10.5.5 ISO Image FIle 4.588Gb

md5

Torrent download from...

I tried converting that ISO Image File to a CD with no luck in either program. What am I doing wrong?

Please help!

Thanks in advance!

I keep coastering.

It thinks it is writing a 544k disc.

Arg.

Ok finally got it to burn. Now upon startup in the Boot Menu, and selection of CD drive I am getting:

/com.apple.boot.s/library/preferences/systemconfiguration.com/appleboot.plist not found

{censored}

How do i fix the

/com.apple.boot.s/library/preferences/systemconfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist not found error?

I tried formatting the HD in HFS+ format, the "F8" boot trick with no luck.

Anyone have any other ideas?

How do i tell if my DVD drive is SATA? (Profiler says it is SCSI, but it is hooked up in parallel with my SATA drives).

Do I need to install the NVINJECT patch for the Leapord DVD burn for the XPS630 (nvidia 9800)?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Slapman,

I have been trying to install OS X on my XPS 630 for the last 3 days (well ... nights).

I tried Kalyway, it installed fine but did not boot. I tried iAktos 4i and 5i, nothing, could not even install. So after reading your post I have a little optimism left.

I'd like to try ideneb 10.5.5. I have a couple of questions:

1. could you suggest me a download link? Currently I am downloading it from the pirate bay

could you send me a working link since sometimes some versions do not work?

2. I am assuming that once the download is completed I would have to unzip it with winrar and then burn it with alcohol for example. Is this correct?

3. Now, the installation, I am thinking to type F12 and then ask the bios to boot from CD. Once that is done, I am thinking to go to Disk Utility on the mac page and format the empty hard drive I have an extra one which is an IDE. Would this work? Once I formatted the hard drive. I guess I continue the installation and customize the preferences, could you send me the customized preferences you checked. Once that is done I guess everything should work ... hopefully ... (audio? internet?)

4. do I need some other patches, and if I do, how do I install them. I do not have the extreme audio card, just the realtek.

Any help would be really appreciated.

(I also sent you a private message but perhaps it was not delivered.)

Sorry another question about the XPS 630 bios, do I have to change anything in the bios? I can't find AHCI nor S3 and S1

I am following this link for installation:

http://www.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/ind...hp/t121388.html

I want to give an update, just completed a super easy installation of Leopard. Previously, I had tried Kalyway and iAKTOS and my experience had been a total disaster.

This iDeneb installation went smooth on my Dell XPS 630, really nice and easy. I can't believe it was so easy.

I installed everything on a separate hard drive which is a PATA (IDE). I might buy a SATA and try it there too.

I am having problems with audio and internet. I changed the bios to HDMI for the audio but still no sound. I have the inboard audio card, the Relatek.

Can someone help me out with the internet connection? I am trying to connect through ethernet. Perhaps, all of you had luck with the wirelss connection. I am not having luck with the nvidia network card which is part of the 630 mother board.

The rest works great. If someone can post something about internet and audio that would be great.

Thank you.

sorry sorry sorry, I had problems with Audio because I did not follow properly the instructions from Slapman. I re-installed everything this time by following the details nicely and everything is great.

The internet is still dead, though, any suggestion? I am using the Ethernet, plugged into the DSL modem.

Any suggestion how to get internet on Leopard? In the customized options, I had checked FORCEDETH, is this correct?

Hello, I installed it using Slapman's advices, went really smooth. I'm still trying to figure out why the Internet is not working, i don't get an automatic IP, but adding them manually works a little bit, just no Internet. Also trying to get my usb wireless adapter to work (Linksys WUSB54GC) Any tips why my Ethernet is not working? BTW I also have a XPS 630 Core 2 Quad Q9300.

I also noticed a problem with my CD/DVD drive. It doesn't really work, it is a SATA CD/DVD drive. Any suggestion?

I can open it, place CD or DVD inside, it starts but it gets stuck like that. It spins forever, nothing happens.

About the ethernet card, I have given up. I bought a wireless card which should come within the next few days.

As I said before, everything is working fine, got Photoshop, Office, iLife 09, and more working, plus my wireless. But I got a problem last night. I booted and I noticed my keyboard and my mouse were like powered off, as soon as the OS loaded they stayed the same, didn't work. I checked for connections, still the same, my USB Wireless was on but didn't connect to my network.

I tried reinstalling it without luck, still on the os x installer I can't use my keyboard or my mouse. Any tips on this? BTW they are USB mouse and keyboard, can't try in the PS2 or whatever is called that connector because I don't have the extra thingy to plug them in.

This just happened from one day to another.

Thanks for the help.

And I'm using the same iDeneb 1.3 I used with no problems.

hello

I also noticed a problem with my CD/DVD drive. It doesn't really work, it is a SATA CD/DVD drive. Any suggestion?

-> if you put Nforce ATA TEST during installattion you will have you DVD/CD working to read but not for burn.

and if you put Nforce ATA basic, your DVD burner is recognised but you can't read... i don't know how to fix that

I can open it, place CD or DVD inside, it starts but it gets stuck like that. It spins forever, nothing happens.

About the ethernet card, I have given up. I bought a wireless card which should come within the next few days.

-> i use a dongle USB with Zydas software and i got internet

my ethernet card look to be recongised but not work.

If you have trouble with your keyboard or mouse not responding well sometimes, i suggest you buy the apple keyboard and plug your mouse in the usb port in the keyboard.... since i did that, i never has problem with mouse or keyboard..

best regards

Slapman

Hi Slapman,

Your inputs are always great.

My internet works fine with a USB as suggested by wsad. It was not the easier installation in my life but at the end of the day I was able to have internet.

That's how I got internet to work:

1. I had to re-install the OS and this time I checked RT2500-RT73-USB inside the wireless drivers. This step gave me the USB Wireless Utility.

2. I bought the USB wireless card ( Linksys WUSB54G) and followed the kext instruction in this link

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;hl=wusb54gc

After installation opened first USB wireless utility, got deviced recognized then connected.

3. Opened the network utility and got everything reognized automatically.

Regarding my CD/DVD drive I will try again and this time check Nforce ATA TEST

A question for wsad, how were you able to install iLife09 is the software requirements are for OS 10.5.6 while we have the 10.5.5. I did not try iLife09 but I did try iWork09 and was not able to do anything since it asks for 10.5.6?

My keyboard and mouse work fine, however, the sleep mode does not work at all, I had to disable it. Also my front headphone does not work. Other then that the rest seems fine.

Regarding my CD/DVD drive I will try again and this time check [/size]Nforce ATA TEST

-> you can download the NFORCE ATA TEST from "medievil" user topic link : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=77071

and you don't need to réinstall all , just download the AppleNForceATA.kext.TEST.zip then unstuff it and install this Kext using kext helper, then reboot it has worked for me...no need to do a new complete installation...

A question for wsad, how were you able to install iLife09 is the software requirements are for OS 10.5.6 while we have the 10.5.5. I did not try iLife09 but I did try iWork09 and was not able to do anything since it asks for 10.5.6?

-> i got i life08 and it working, i didn't try with the 09, but if you need 10.5.6 to get 09, i see people on the forum who has done upadte to 10.5.6 but it looks it doesn't work for all, so i don't want to try to do update to 10.5.6...i could loose all my system...