Gateway P-7811FX laptop (Anyone successfully intalled it on this laptop?)

asong

35 posts in this topic

Hi there!

My first post. I've read various posts here and was able to install 10.5.2 (finished installation only). But after the install, the mac would boot right up to the apple logo screen and stop. I tried the verbose mode, but can't decipher anything that's useful. Doesn't seem to be any fatal errors...

Am I beating on a dead horse, or is it possible to install Kalyway on my laptop? I would love to run a Mac on my laptop full time, but I am not sure what I need to do. I believe I have picked the right drivers, etc..., but I am hoping to get in touch with someone who has the same laptop as I do, and have successfully installed Kalyway 10.5.2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated it.

Laptop Specs:

Gateway P-7811 FX specifications:

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 (2.26GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 3MB L2 cache)
  • Memory: 4GB (4096MB) DDR3 800MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 x 2048MB modules), max. 4GB
  • Hard Drive: 200GB 7200rpm Serial ATA hard drive w/ 16MB Cache
  • Video: NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS with 512MB of GDDR3 discrete video memory
  • Chipset: Intel PM45 Chipset
  • Display: 17.0″ WUXGA Ultrabright TFT Active Matrix (1920×1200)
  • Audio: High-Def Audio, 2 Channel (Conexant)
  • DVD Drive: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50 ATA Device
  • Digital Media Manager: 5-in-1 Digital Media Manager Memory Stick, MS Pro, MMC, SD, xD
  • External Ports: 3 USB 2.0, VGA, V1.2 HDMI Connector, IEEE 1394 Firewire Port, e-SATA
  • Ethernet Network Card: Marvell variant
  • Optical Drive: 8x Multi-Format Dual Layer DVDRW with DVD-RAM featuring Labelflash Technology
  • Wireless Network: Intel 802.11a/b/g/Draft-N Wireless Networking (Intel 5100)

If no one has installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on this particular laptop (all configs are same for this model), then would the experts please chime in with list of check boxes for the install? I would sincerely appreciate it.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to bump this as I wanted to try installing OS X on this exact laptop, and I've yet to find a helpful solution or tutorial on these boards or anywhere for that matter. I saw the OSX86 wiki suggested iDeneb 10.5.5 works on it, but I've no idea how to install that, and I've tried Googling just about everything to find out how to install it.

Also, do I need a separate HDD for this or can I partition my main drive and dual boot as such?

Honestly, I just really need a walkthrough on what to do or some instructions for this. I only have one HDD at the moment, but I was going to purchase a brand new one shortly just for the space, but if I can get OS X on it, then that'll be amazing.

Please help me! :)

• 1 month later...

Same here, any help would be great. Although I don't have a P-7811, I do have a P-7805u and the specs are very close to what is mentioned. At this point, I was able to install the Kalyway 10.5.2 distro and get it to work, but I havent been able to get anything working. Thanks! My specs are below

Gateway P-9805u Specs:

Processor - Core 2 Duo P8400 (3MB L2, 2.26 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB)

Video - NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS w/ 1GB DDR3

WebCam - 1.3 mp

Optical - DVD+/-RW Super Multi w/ Dual Layer capablity - labelflash

Memory Card Reader - 5 in 1

Network - Intel Wi-Fi Link 5100

Marvell Yukon 88e8071 PCI-E Ethernet

Ports - 3USB, 1HDMI, 1VGA, 1 eSATA, 1 IEEE 1394, Headphone/SPDIF audio out

By the way, I should mention that I was able to install Kalyway on a similarly spec'd P-7805u. I made sure to not choose any additional options aside from what was already highlighted and it installed with no problem. I'm currently dual-booting a Kalyway 10.5.2 distro and 64-bit Vista on two separate hard drives.

Essentially, I downloaded the GParted Live CD found here: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php , I burned the CD, and formatted my SATA drive as FAT32. Once I did that, I used the Kalyway distro to format the drive again to Mac OSX Journaled, then went through with a normal install.

I'm finding out its kind of useless for my laptop considering both my ethernet and wifi cards don't have the proper drivers to work (and these forums have told me not to expect anything anytime soon).

I had no luck with Kalyway 10.5.2 and iDeneb 10.5.4.

iAtkos 10.5.5 (v5i) worked a treat but with a few shortcomings.

These instructions are off the top of my head so I apologise if I missed anything.

1) Go into the BIOS and set:

• hard drive controller mode to AHCI
  • Boot sequence to anything with the DVD drive at the start
  • legacy (ps2) emulation for keyboard/mouse off

Leave pretty much everything as it is.

2) Insert the iAtkos DVD. When prompted, boot using "-v -f -x -d cpus=1" (without quotes). You should make it to the setup screen.

3) Use the menu at the top to get into Disk Utility. Format/partition your drive however you want. I chose 3 partitions - 50Gb HFS for OSX, 70Gb reserved for Vista, 200Gb reserved for general storage.

4) Choose custom installation when prompted and untick everything except the following:

• iATKOS v5i main
  • PC EFI v9 boot loader
  • AppleDecrypt
  • SMBIOS-EFI Air
  • x86 ACPI
  • Disabler
  • Intel AHCI SATA
  • Laptop battery
  • NTFS-3G (optional - I highly recommend it though)

Don't install speedstep unless you like crashes. The Marvell Yukon network driver is from a different series and won't work so don't bother. You may want to experiment with some of the nVidia options but I had no luck with Natit Univesal, Natit, NVInject, nVidia Laptop, NVKush, Remove RVDAResman and verious combinations of those.

Once install has completed and it reboots, you'll probably find it doesn't boot. The first time you need to use "-v -f" and after that it works fine. The -v is not essential but at least lets you see if anything IS out of the ordinary.

Now that you have a basic working system, you should be able to use EFI strings to get native resolution (1920x1200) during and after the boot sequence. Web cam works natively. Ethernet, wireless, advanced video (QE/CI), card reader and audio are all broken. Apparently the audio can be fixed with the azalia kexts but I've had no luck there. Likewise with getting the 9800m GTS to support Quartz Extreme or Core Image. I've tried various methods with no luck. The only success I've had is by using AquaMac's GeForce series 9 installer followed by EFI strings generated with OSX86Tools (gfx-tool gives a different string) which doesn't give QE/CI support but at least gets rid of artefacting like window contents disappearing and menus hanging.

That's pretty much my set-up as it stands. Only other changes I made were installing the 10.5.6 stand-alone update (no dramas at all) and the iPhone 2.2 SDK (iPhone emulation works fine including for OpenGL apps once you use OSX86Tools to enable QuartzGL).

Now maybe someone can help me! Somewhere over the course of doing all this I've lost the ability to get into my BIOS! When the option comes up I press F2 and it says entering setup but then just goes through the boot sequence! I've even tried 'silly' things like detaching the hard drive and pressing F2 on an external keyboard just for the hell of it. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

Bingo! After much frustration and hair-pulling I've got full video card support! QE/CI really does make a noticeable difference to the overall OSX experience. Also got on board audio working and a WUSB54g for wireless networking. Considering the P7811-FX specs blow the current top-of-the-line Macbook Pro out of the water for around a third of the price I'm pretty chirpy about it all ;)

I am in the same boat with a 7805u, no QE/CI... I have searched everywhere I can think of and am not finding any answers. Care to give us a hint as to how you solved this one :(

Same boat, same laptop, no QE/CI give us the solution?

OH! And the F2 no bios setup is a bug with the BIOS you can get around it by hitting F10 and then going to Setup. I called up support but they were worthless. Found that fix on the net.

Edit: Found the Solution. Use NVinject and set it as a 512 video card(note: not a go/mobile). Make sure to remove any EFI strings if you set them previously. Restart. Tadda full support.

Now just to figure out how to get my audio working.

Edit Update: no luck on audio still tried a ton of different Kexts and installs. Whatever magic ikatos does on default install I'm unable to duplicate on my ideneb install.

Hi Eerie,

Tried setting efi string to 512mb 9800gtx, and tried 512mb 8800gt , but no luck on qe ci, and I did erase previous string.

On audio did you tried megaprimal link kexts ?

@Ferrettalica,

....we still need your help on QE/Ci support, since we used same method of install(iAtkos5i) better chance to success.

Thanks.

Onj88

Eerie try this for audio it is a real hack job but it worked for me:

I was also able to get audio working using these instructions: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140869 . I attempted to install the AzaleaAudio.kext unmodified prior to using the one listed in the link above, and after running the package from the link, I had to manually copy and paste everything in the 'contents' folder over to my ./extensions/AppleAzaleaAudio.kext file. I then reregistered the file rebooted and audio output is working. Input shows no devices found, but I have not plugged in a Mic so that may be all there is to it. The function keys and volume slider on the laptop also work to control volume!

I'm going to play around with NVinject today... is there a specific version you used? Where did you download?

@megaprimal, I used nvinject 512mb from ipc dvd and it made my osx unbootable, even in safe mode, so be careful.

then I tried setting different strings from 512mb cards but no luck. Ferretallica would be our best source of

information since he used same installation release iAtkos , and same method at first to get video.

onj88

megaprimal,

Finally got QE/CI working ...here`s the steps...

1) delete efi string from your com.apple.boot.plist

2) download nvinstaller v.52 from http://scottdangel.com/blog/?page_id=20

3) install nvinstaller and during installation choose 512mb ram option do not choose go/mobile option, it gives black screen.

4) Reboot using -v -f flags and

done !!!

QE/CI works....!!!

Webcam doesn`t work, at least not in photobooth.

...anyways hope it works for you.

onj88

megaprimal,

Finally got QE/CI working ...here`s the steps...

1) delete efi string from your com.apple.boot.plist

2) download nvinstaller v.52 from http://scottdangel.com/blog/?page_id=20

3) install nvinstaller and during installation choose 512mb ram option do not choose go/mobile option, it gives black screen.

4) Reboot using -v -f flags and

done !!!

QE/CI works....!!!

Webcam doesn`t work, at least not in photobooth.

...anyways hope it works for you.

onj88

Yeah onj88's instructions are exactly how I did it as well though you don't need the -v or -f flags AFAIK. Going to try the audio now.

Edit: The webcam's light comes on tho so there may be hope for it yet.

Yeah onj88's instructions are exactly how I did it as well though you don't need the -v or -f flags AFAIK. Going to try the audio now.

Edit: The webcam's light comes on tho so there may be hope for it yet.

Update! So I reinstalled ideneb 1.3 and followed our same instructions for getting the graphics card to work. No dice won't even boot once NVinject is going we are missing a step. The only thing I can think of is do all the other steps that don't work.

Update 2: I think the missing link is http://rs334.rapidshare.com/files/15624729...s_Driver_v2.zip Aqua Mac's 9x installer. Use this then delete any EFI strings generated and then use NVinject. Testing this theory right now.

Update 3: yeah that was the trick. You need to install Aqua Mac's 9x installer first then before restarting you can run the nvinject installer. Restart and tadda full hardware accell on gfx card.

Update! So I reinstalled ideneb 1.3 and followed our same instructions for getting the graphics card to work. No dice won't even boot once NVinject is going we are missing a step. The only thing I can think of is do all the other steps that don't work.

Update 2: I think the missing link is http://rs334.rapidshare.com/files/15624729...s_Driver_v2.zip Aqua Mac's 9x installer. Use this then delete any EFI strings generated and then use NVinject. Testing this theory right now.

Update 3: yeah that was the trick. You need to install Aqua Mac's 9x installer first then before restarting you can run the nvinject installer. Restart and tadda full hardware accell on gfx card.

I'm unable to get full video support on mine. I've installed with iAtkos, and there is no com.apple.boot.plist file, and I've installed the NVinject, but it doesn't seem to do anything at all.

I'm also quite a noob at this, but I've got an understanding on what to do. I've installed audio kext, and I'm going to be purchasing a wifi adapter soon to make this work.

But for the videosupport, I've installed what you have in the link and then I tried to use the QE/CI fix but nothing worked since there's no file I just said.

I can't get this to work at all. It's upsetting.

• 2 weeks later...
Eerie try this for audio it is a real hack job but it worked for me:

I was also able to get audio working using these instructions: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140869 . I attempted to install the AzaleaAudio.kext unmodified prior to using the one listed in the link above, and after running the package from the link, I had to manually copy and paste everything in the 'contents' folder over to my ./extensions/AppleAzaleaAudio.kext file. I then reregistered the file rebooted and audio output is working. Input shows no devices found, but I have not plugged in a Mic so that may be all there is to it. The function keys and volume slider on the laptop also work to control volume!

I'm going to play around with NVinject today... is there a specific version you used? Where did you download?

Can someone explain the process to the get the audio working in more detail for the 7805u Laptop. I have the same laptop and I got everything else working (expect lan and wlan of course) but I could not get the internal speakers to work, I tried all the kexts mentioned in the forum, replacing applehda folder content and etc….. but no luck. Can someone please explain a step by step process to make the speakers work?

Also Thanks to everyone in this topic, you've all been a great help!

• 1 month later...

@webnetics:

There's a modded kext or two floating around... here's the link: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140869

Go to that forum and scroll down, there's 2 different solutions, and both have worked for me in the past. The first one, AppleAzaila, works straight off but there's ONLY speaker out, no headphones or mic or anything.

The second, the one that I stuck with, is the Conexant Cx20561 driver... it has all the outputs and inputs (including ones you can't even get from Windows!) BUT you have to plug in headphones every time you boot/wake your computer for it to start working. Annoying, but worth it for the extra functionality in my mind.

EDIT: There's a fix for the audio headphones bug on the second page... can't believe I didn't see it sooner.

@chubbymidet:

There's no support for wireless at all right now. I'm actually surprised, because it seems like there's a LOT of people who need this driver: http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/issues/detail?id=85

As for ethernet, I've been looking myself lately and so far haven't found anything... so if anyone knows a solution please, I'm all ears.

• 6 months later...

I have the same laptop yet I installed using iAtkos and got it installed with no keyboard/trackpad or gfx card support, audio worked, but couldn't install any drivers tried with wine and crossover... uninstalled tried with kalyway 10.5.2 and failed to boot with a "you must restart screen". Now trying to reinstall again with iAtkos and now it wont boot, stuck on grey loading screen and do not understand why it worked the first time and not this time. Also I am new at this, but I would like to learn. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update for those who may see this thread and wonder: the Snow Leopard support is the same. Can get everything working except LAN and wireless. If anyone works out how to get either of these working (without replacing the wireless card or adding USB devices)... you know where to post!

• 6 months later...

Had Iatkos v7 10.5.7 running fine on my 7811fx minus networking. Installed Iatkos s3 v2 and now it only boots into -x (safe mode) if I try letting it boot normal it crashes. I was wondering if anyone else used Iatkos s3 v2 to install on the 7811fx and what they did to get it running fine if they did and if they got 64bit or 32bit.

Well firs off buddy, if you want any sort of 64-bit functionality at all, you're gonna wanna check out installing a version of 10.6, not 10.5. Second off, I'd recommend that anyways, since at this point Snow leopard works way better on our machines than normal Leopard. Also the support is way larger, of course.

EDIT: nevermind, I completely misread your post and feel rather foolish about it. I'll probably just delete this whole post now :-S