Putting 4GB on a Macbook?

dar482

4 posts in this topic

I accidentally bought a 2GB Kingston Ram stick and need to get another. However, I found out that the memory is limited. Should I buy two 1GB sticks?

Should I buy another 2GB stick? Will the computer still operate even though I don't get the full use of 4GB?

I bought this Macbook in summer of 2006. 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo

I bought this Macbook in summer of 2006. 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo

My girlfriend's MacBook is of the same age.  Yes, 2GB is the max memory cited for that generation.  I opted for 2x1GB sticks for her's, and it's pretty slick.

My friend with a generation newer (Dec '06–Jan '07) Core 2 Duo MacBook, which also is quoted with a max RAM of 2GB, replaced a 256MB stick with a 2GB stick and left the other 256MB in.  The machine recognized the total at a correct 2.25GB of RAM, but sleep and other functions of the notebook failed.  Once I removed the 256MB stick everything functioned as it should.

Backstory over, here's your answer:

A single 2GB stick will work just fine.  However, 2x1GB will work better as the RAM is dual-channel.  I wouldn't buy another 2GB stick since your mobo's max is 2GB... unless you feel like living on the wild side and have inherent rebellion in your veins.