Radeon X1650 - stuck at 1024x768 w. mouse tearing

davr0s

8 posts in this topic

I have a working 10.5.3 Kalyway except that I am stuck with default display at 1024x768 and mouse tearing (doesn't look great on a 1680x1050 monitor). I have an ATI Radeon X1650 (Sapphire, 512MB) with device ID 0x71c6.

I found a thread suggesting Maclovin's package, which resulted in boot > grey apple logo > green vertical lines instead of a desktop. -v revealed a lot of lines about ATIinject.kext, I then deleted it to no effect.

I booted to singleuser, modified ATIRadeonX1000.kext replacing "ATY,Wormy" with "display" under IONameMatch and IONDRVDevice to IOPCIDevice and rebooted. This changed the green vertical lines to blue vertical lines, but didn't help me with getting my desktop back.

I restored my kexts from backup, booted back to 1024x768 mode, and tried Modbin's 10.5.3 package without ATIinject - red vertical lines, no desktop.

Restoring my kexts from backup again then gave me my desktop, still in 1024x768, but now with all my menus in black so that I can't see what I'm clicking. I don't know how that's happened as my system should now be just as it was before I started...

Anybody have an idea how I could get this baby into a decent res?

I've managed to get my menus back after restoring the kernel - still no joy with any resolution beyond 1024x768 though. Irritating as I'm so close to a fully working build! :)

How about you try Modbin's installer?

Its made for your device iD.

Already tried that, with and without ATIinject and AGPGart in every combination (although it's a PCIe card). It gave me red vertical lines instead of a desktop as I said above, and I had to restore my kexts from -s again. The GUI for that installer says it's for the 256MB, mine's 512 - not sure if that could be anything to do with it?

Not sure if this is worth mentioning or too obvious, but when I have a working desktop (ie default settings) the ATINDRV and ATIRadeonX1000 kexts are not loaded according to Extensions in "About This Mac". The display driver shows "no kexts loaded".

• 2 weeks later...