I am paranoid that I have a Trojan. Help!

bballrock

6 posts in this topic

Just so you all know I am a huge computer newb so I would really appreciate help. So I have been reading about the Trojan's that were made for Mac. I think I might have stumbled upon one. I am sure I am not infected but I am so paranoid. The thought of someone being able to use my iSight camera and see me, or getting all my passwords is pretty much stressing me out.

So I clicked on the video link and The ActiveX error popped up. I didn't click OK or anything but my Mac automatically downloaded something. Checking the download it was a codec. I can't tell you exactly what it was because I immediately deleted it fearing it could be a virus or something. It was something along the effects of xcodec.7.exe. I know that isn't correct but I googled the correct codec and got results that said it was a dangerous trojan.

I am not even sure if it was a trojan for a mac. This will be really hard for me to explain. On the list of downloads the icon for the codec was just the blank white sheet. The same white sheet icon that is next to all downloads that do not work for mac. You know the type that if opened just open up textedit. Well anyways it was deleted immediately, I never put in my password to install anything.

I then promptly downloaded MacScan, Avast, DNS Changer Removal Tool, iAntiVirus, and ClamXav. I used them all and no virus or trojan was found. I actually ran most of them multiple times.

I checked my DNS numbers and there were two that were gray. I checked my roommates DNS numbers and he had the exact same ones. I then checked my internet plug-ins folder and didn't find the notorious plugins.settings file. Then I went into terminal ran scutil and verified that my DNS numbers were the same in scutil and in my network preferences.

I know it doesn't seem like I have the trojan but I am so very paranoid about it. If anyone is an expert about this could you please tell me how I can check for sure that I don't have the trojan. I really hope i don't. Also if you need more information I can get whatever you need.

Oh and by the way, there was one thing that got me really nervous that I had a trojan. I was just using my computer today when my iSight camera turned on by itself. I wasn't running any program that would need it. I checked activity monitor and nothing that required it was running. Now this isn't the first time my iSight light has turned on. I have had this problem since I bought this Mac, but this was the first time that it turned on long after I started up my computer. Usually it turns on the first second my computer starts up. I don't know if this is something to worry about.

Anyways if any one could help me I would appreciate it so so much. Thanks!

I then promptly downloaded MacScan, Avast, DNS Changer Removal Tool, iAntiVirus, and ClamXav. I used them all and no virus or trojan was found. I actually ran most of them multiple times.

LOL, if you're gonna go through all that why not just use Windows...

But seriously, I think you're just paranoid. Windows trojans/viruses can't hurt you. ;)

Have a look through your system logs for anything suspicious. Also check logins on the machine and make sure they make sense.

http://www.manpagez.com/man/1/last/

Does it sound like it was a window trojan to you? Also as I have stated I am very newbish ;) when it comes to using Macs. I have no idea how to check system logs or logins to the machine. Also I have no idea what or how to use those commands. So if you think I need to do that it would be nice if you told me how

• 2 weeks later...

It wont affect your mac.

Mac OS X cannot natively execute .exe files, which are Windows only. The only way to run .exe files on Mac OS X is through Darwine or CrossOver, but I doubt you have either of them, and either way, it wouldn't run automatically anyway, since Safari or whatever web browser you are using doesn't automatically run anything.

You're fine, just delete the file.