XVID videos lower quality in OS X than Windows?

newbmac

14 posts in this topic

Just curious if anyone else notices lower quality video playback using Quickplayer (and VLC) in OSx86 for XVID/DIVX than in Windows? Is there something I can do to fix this or improve video quality?

I have installed Perian and have tried both QuickPlayer and VLC.

What are your specs? I don't have that problem and I don't even have CI/QE.

(And are you using a widescreen monitor? The quality takes a hit when you're playing videos in a fullscreen resolution desktop on a widescreen monitor, sadly. The only solution there is to get the video card supported. -_- )

Just curious if anyone else notices lower quality video playback using Quickplayer (and VLC) in OSx86 for XVID/DIVX than in Windows? Is there something I can do to fix this or improve video quality?

I have installed Perian and have tried both QuickPlayer and VLC.

I noticed this too, but i thought it's " just in my brain" lol

What are your specs? I don't have that problem and I don't even have CI/QE.

(And are you using a widescreen monitor? The quality takes a hit when you're playing videos in a fullscreen resolution desktop on a widescreen monitor, sadly. The only solution there is to get the video card supported. -_- )

Thanks for your response. My specs should already be in my signature. I am use EFI Strings with an Nvidia 7600GT which provides full CI/QE support on a non-widescreen NEC 20" LCD at 1600x1200 resolution. As a reminder, I am comparing Windows to OSx86 using the exact same hardware. I am hardly a videophile, so it being so obvious says something :)

I noticed this too, but i thought it's " just in my brain" lol

Glad it's not just me. Now that I have sound working I am seriously thinking about switching to OSx86, but when I noticed the lack luster video playback it made me hesitate.

Perhaps this is related to how OS X does it font rendering which I don't like as much as Microsoft's True Type rendering?

Thanks for your response. My specs should already be in my signature. I am use EFI Strings with an Nvidia 7600GT which provides full CI/QE support on a non-widescreen NEC 20" LCD at 1600x1200 resolution. As a reminder, I am comparing Windows to OSx86 using the exact same hardware. I am hardly a videophile, so it being so obvious says something ;)

Glad it's not just me. Now that I have sound working I am seriously thinking about switching to OSx86, but when I noticed the lack luster video playback it made me hesitate.

Perhaps this is related to how OS X does it font rendering which I don't like as much as Microsoft's True Type rendering?

...but only noticed to xvid movies...

Which driver do you use?

If I recall correctly, the Mac OS has a different gamma/brightness in its display than Windows - it's considerably brighter.

Perhaps the brighter picture is revealing artifacts in dark areas that were more hidden before?

It might shed more light (ha ha) on the subject to take screen captures of the same frame played by each OS, in VLC so there's no difference in player.

this is a common issue in non mac monitors under osx

try calibrating colors in osx itself!!!

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2805?locale=es_ES

you will notice the improvement

also resolution of xvid usually is lower than 720 x 576..so dont expect fullHD on a 1600x1200 screen resolution !!

Thanks will try that next as the other suggestions still didn't make the video quality as good as in windows....

As a reminder, I am comparing using the exact same hardware and XVID video.