information about Sony Vaio FW11E

10 posts in this topic

hi everybody.

i tried to look at the wiki and searching in the forum, but i didn't find the piece of information i need.

i'm going to buy this notebook, but i'd like to know if Leopard works on it, and which version is the right one. the characteristics of the notebook are

• Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 / 2.26 GHz ( Dual-Core )
  • RAM - 3 GB (installed) / 4 GB (max) - DDR2 SDRAM - 800 MHz ( 1 x 1 GB + 1 x 2 GB )
  • Hard Drive - 250 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm
  • Operating System - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
  • Screen - 16.4' TFT 1600 x 900 ( WXGA+ ) - X-black
  • Optical Drive - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM - integrated
  • Graphics - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470 - 256 MB
  • Bluetooth - Yes
  • Notebook Camera - Integrated

[sorry for my bad english]

Your not getting reply's because its a new model and you will need to read some of the installation guides on this sight and try it for yourself. Like many of us you will have to find out for yourself and once you get it install (if you do). Then look for drivers one by one to get most of your hardware working. good luck and backup your computer!

spacenut

thanks for the reply.. i know that is hard to get a reply, because it's one of the last models of Vaio.. anyway i haven't bought it yet, because i want to know if leopard works on it. so if someone have an advice about a new model (every brand) that is compatible with leopard please answer :):D:D

Hi, I have a Vaio VGN-FW11E with Leopard and works wonderfully, except the big problem presented by the GPU ... there is no way ... Vaio with nVidia or ATI GPUs do not work, just with Intel GPU.

Forget the Vaio and go with something else, if you do not want to throw your money as I have done.

Sincerely, MacOff

post-169936-1224617416_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hey macoff, does everything other than the graphics work, i.e sound, touchpad, keyboard etc. I hear a driver for that ati card is in development but they've been saying that for a while now so i don't know if its true. This ati card issue is the only thing stopping me from buying this beautiful laptop, how is the display at the moment without a driver, does it even run on the internal display or did that screenshot come off an external monitor? Help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Atomik

Hi, I have a Vaio VGN-FW11E with Leopard and works wonderfully, except the big problem presented by the GPU ... there is no way ... Vaio with nVidia or ATI GPUs do not work, just with Intel GPU.

Forget the Vaio and go with something else, if you do not want to throw your money as I have done.

Sincerely, MacOff

post-169936-1224617416_thumb.png

Hi, sorry to bother you with this question MacOff, but i have a Sony Vaio FW11E too, what version of leopard did you installed? I mean, i installed Kalyway but mine did't look as good as yours... Would you mind to wrote the whole filename, so i can search and download the exact same version?

Best regards, and thanks in advance :P

i'm looking for a replacement of my acer aspire 1694wlmi and found those two notebooks, one of which is this sony vaio fw11e...

the other one is a hp pavilion dv5 1122el

cpu: Intel Core 2 Duo P8400, 2.26 GHz, 3MB cache L2, FSB 1066 MHz

Memory: 4096 MB DDR2

screen: 15.4 pollici WXGA (1280 x 800) High Definition BrightView Widescreen

Video: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, 512MB dedicati

Hard Disk: 320 GB SATA 5400 rpm

Drive: Masterizzatore DVD DL Super Multi

Ports: 4 x USB 2.0, 1 x HDMI, 1 x eSATA, 1 x VGA, 1 x RJ45, 1 x RJ11, 2 x hp, 1 x mic, 1 x Firewire IEEE 1394, 1 x Infrarossi (telecomando), 1 x Docking, 1 x Express Card 54/34, sd card 5in1 (Secure Digital, MultiMedia, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, xD Picture)

Networking: Intel WiFi Link 5100AGN, Gigabit Ethernet LAN 10/100/1000, Modem 56k V.92, Bluetooth

i'm not new to hackintosh since this ol {censored} i'm writing from (acer) gave me the creeps to make it work...

but...

i heard lots of issues regarding centrino 2 platform

so... i'm trying to figure out the easiest of the two machine to install leopard over, in order to use it.. (i know, buy a real mac, but i've only got 900euros)

Hi there,

I also just got a FW series Vaio. I have successfully installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on it and it runs fine. I got sound card, bluetooth, mouse and keyboard working. Video-wise, I am stuck at 1024x768 (?) resolution. However, I have seen that some people are actually developing and testing the driver for the HD3470, and should be out soon. But no ethernet nor wifi yet.

Good luck with your find.