Cannot Get NTFS Partition to use NTFS-3G

PRGUY85

11 posts in this topic

Hello:

I've got 2 NTFS partitions on my PC. One of them is the one I use for all my media. Both of them are properly recognized by Mac 10.5.5 yet only one of them is using the NTFS 3G driver while the other is using the regular Mac NTFS internal system. I tried disabling NTFS-3G, unmounting, remounting, etc...yet only one of them uses NTFS-3G (the one with Win XP installed to it by the way).

So, how can I get my media NTFS partition to utilize NTFS-3G considering it is installed and another partition already uses it? Any way to edit something (ala /etc/fstab on Linux)?

Hmm..I rebooted my Hackintosh today and again one of the NTFS partitions is using regular NTFS driver while the other is using NTFS-3G. Any way to just force mount that one as NTFS-3G all the time?

While NTFS-3G does have a --force option, this is NOT a good idea. I assume you're using the stable version and not the patched for performance one?

If you haven't already done so, disable logging on those drives, for example for each one do

touch /Volumes/<your drive label here>/.fseventsd/no_log

(if you get any input/output errors here it means you need to run chkdisk then try again)

now unmount those drives using disk utility, uninstall NTFS-3G using the uninstall script that comes with the package, then run chkdisk from Windows on those drives again, finally re-install NTFS-3G "stable" version.

Hopefully that takes care of it.

Installed Paragon yet it sometimes work (when I manually perform CHKDSK on XP before I log in on Mac) and sometimes it just won't even load the partition. When I perform Verify/Repair Disk on Disk Utility for that particular partition, it locates 0x30 bad sectors.

OK, I still cannot read/write on that particular NTFS drive. NTFS-3G lets me mount it but I cannot write to it. Paragon doesn't even mount it and after disk verifying/repairing states I've got bad sectors and cannot repair. I tried repairing on Windows with something called Flobo but it apparently didn't work. Any ideas?

On Windows/Linux I can read/write perfectly.

Well after verifying the 500GB HDD with HDD Regenerator for 2 days and repairing 96 bad sectors I could get read/write with NTFS-3G (not with Paragon even though verify/repair disk on Disk Utility came out good). Let's see how long it lasts.