Display Issues

nirj

9 posts in this topic

Hello, I recently installed tiger-x86 on my eMachines T2596.

Specs:

- Intel Celeron 2.50GHz Processor (SSE2)

- Realtek Integrated Graphics (with OpenGL/3D Rendering capability)

- 60 GB HD

- 20 GB Windows Parition

- 20 GB Linux Partition (Made up of 3 Logical Partitions)

- 6 GB Tiger-x86 Partition

- 14 GB Free Space

It installed successfully under /dev/hda3. The only issue is, whenever I boot up into it, I get full 1024x68 resolution, but no color whatsoever. It looks like it's doing 16 bit grayscale. I tried using the -x option, but the first few times it rebooted my computer because of it, and after that it didn't help, just made the boot time slightly longer. Any ideas? Hopefully it isn't a hardware issue...

Also, can Tiger-x86 only utilize VESA graphics or can it use its own display manager?

When I boot with ?video it says that I can run 1024x768x8, I think...

I don't know if your BIOS supports this, but try upping the video memory. I was having the same problem. I had to increase the video memory from its default 1MB to 8MB (which was my computer's maximum). Try it then. For me, I ended up with a color grid of 4x4 pixels. If you have the same result, try using -x with 8MB.

Hello, I recently installed tiger-x86 on my eMachines T2596.

Specs:

- Intel Celeron 2.50GHz Processor (SSE2)

- Realtek Integrated Graphics (with OpenGL/3D Rendering capability)

- 60 GB HD

- 20 GB Windows Parition

- 20 GB Linux Partition (Made up of 3 Logical Partitions)

- 6 GB Tiger-x86 Partition

- 14 GB Free Space

It installed successfully under /dev/hda3. The only issue is, whenever I boot up into it, I get full 1024x68 resolution, but no color whatsoever. It looks like it's doing 16 bit grayscale. I tried using the -x option, but the first few times it rebooted my computer because of it, and after that it didn't help, just made the boot time slightly longer. Any ideas? Hopefully it isn't a hardware issue...

Also, can Tiger-x86 only utilize VESA graphics or can it use its own display manager?

When I boot with ?video it says that I can run 1024x768x8, I think...

what video chipset is that? I'm curious

I don't know if your BIOS supports this, but try upping the video memory.  I was having the same problem.  I had to increase the video memory from its default 1MB to 8MB (which was my computer's maximum).  Try it then.  For me, I ended up with a color grid of 4x4 pixels.  If you have the same result, try using -x with 8MB.

How would I go about upping the video memory?

How would I go about upping the video memory?

Depending on the computer, you have to press different keys to get into the BIOS. Try Delete, Escape and F2. Hopefully, one of those will work. Anyway, press one of those keys as your computer displays "eMachines." Once there, find something about Video. It will probably be under the Advanced tab, but I don't know for sure. When you're in the Video options, look for something like "Video RAM." Select anything relatively high (I use 8MB). Then save settings and exit.

P.S. Your BIOS may not let you change your Video RAM, depending on how stupid eMachines is.

Depending on the computer, you have to press different keys to get into the BIOS.  Try Delete, Escape and F2.  Hopefully, one of those will work.  Anyway, press one of those keys as your computer displays "eMachines."  Once there, find something about Video.  It will probably be under the Advanced tab, but I don't know for sure.  When you're in the Video options, look for something like "Video RAM."  Select anything relatively high (I use 8MB).  Then save settings and exit.

P.S.  Your BIOS may not let you change your Video RAM, depending on how stupid eMachines is.

eMachines is stupid...it won't let me :)

Is there any way around this?

- Nir J

eMachines is stupid...it won't let me :)

Is there any way around this?

- Nir J

I booted up our old eMachine (circa 2001). Press Delete as soon as you see the logo (try pressing it almost immediately after hitting the Power button). On ours, press Right to go to the Advanced tab. Then press Down until you select Onboard Video Memory. Press Enter and, if possible, select anything higher than 1MB (the higher, the better). Then press Right until you have highlighted the Exit tab, and select Save Changes and Exit. Good luck! :(

P.S. I think this problem has to do with the Intel 845GV; that's the controller my computer uses, too.