WINE 1.x.x discussion and compilation

BassBlu

4 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if there is already a thread out there on this, but I thoght I would start one about wine compilation and usage.

Some issues I have been having:

1. Some libraries are not included in gcc (xcode)

a. Libjpeg

b. Libpng

c. etc.

2. Freetype is slow and unreliable

a. Steam fonts fail to show up at all when I compile myself

b. the font metrics take a long time to be initialized (compared to linux packages)

3. OpenGL (many problems)

a. The framework library is not linked properly to gcc (xcode)

b. Video modes do not initialize (due to  resolution being set @0hz)

c. Quartz Extreme does not properly (or at all) handle rendering

There are also a couple known pre-compiled distributions that seem to have more functionality, but solutions to these (and a few other) problems would significantly improve the viability of WINE. There is no reason why this should be a daunting task for this community seeing that Darwine and Codeweavers seem to handle these problems with more ease.

-Bassblu

P.S. Having been able to get libpng functionality, I am moving on to fonts and openGL linking and rendering.

You need Darwine, which is wine with 'a darwin helper'. I used to make these binaries but this guy seems to be on it and there's no reason to be redundant. http://www.kronenberg.org/darwine/

I'll try to remember to check back here to see if you have any questions... I liked working on this. (No idea if he's an OSx86 guy). I also like porting any other open source projects (trying to at least).

I'm not sure if there is already a thread out there on this, but I thoght I would start one about wine compilation and usage.

Some issues I have been having:

1. Some libraries are not included in gcc (xcode)

a. Libjpeg

b. Libpng

c. etc.

2. Freetype is slow and unreliable

a. Steam fonts fail to show up at all when I compile myself

b. the font metrics take a long time to be initialized (compared to linux packages)

3. OpenGL (many problems)

a. The framework library is not linked properly to gcc (xcode)

b. Video modes do not initialize (due to  resolution being set @0hz)

c. Quartz Extreme does not properly (or at all) handle rendering

There are also a couple known pre-compiled distributions that seem to have more functionality, but solutions to these (and a few other) problems would significantly improve the viability of WINE. There is no reason why this should be a daunting task for this community seeing that Darwine and Codeweavers seem to handle these problems with more ease.

-Bassblu

P.S. Having been able to get libpng functionality, I am moving on to fonts and openGL linking and rendering.

Install Macports, then in Terminal, "sudo port selfupdate && sudo port install wine". Installing every piece of dependancy by hand is so 90.

Install Macports, then in Terminal, "sudo port selfupdate && sudo port install wine". Installing every piece of dependancy by hand is so 90.

Well yes, I hear great things about Darwine and Macports...

Darwine crashes very often and still does not meed the needs to suport opengl rendering.

Macports does not even install. I have installed from source and using the universal .pkg. I noticed this because the port command was not found when I try to update.

To make this long story short, I am building wine myself. It seems to work fine except for opengl rendering. I think the solution for this would be to pass the appropriate .dylib file to the gcc linker when compling. Unfortunately, I don't know the command or how to use it.

Any help would be appreciated

-Bassblu