Leopard UI font size too small

Crofty

6 posts in this topic

Hi, ive just installed leopard, mac newb, and managed to get it to run in the native resolution to my monitor. The text obviously looks smaller now running in a higher res, but the smallest text on toolbars and in the sidebar in finder are just too small. Ive searched quite a bit but cant seem to find a way of making those fonts any bigger, i tried TinkerTool but it doesnt work for all UI fonts in leopard. So is there any way of making them bigger without just lowering monitor resolution?

The UI in firefox seems tiny compared to in vista, the icons are displayed alot smaller, is that just because system fonts are smaller?

thanks for the help

Just to help clarify, there is a preference under "Finder" but it doesn't include font sizes. You need the "show view options" which is a right click on either the desktop, or a window where you can set the font sizes. On the window option, you can make your choice a default for all windows. I did notice that these sizes do not affect the size of the font in the sidebar on a find window. Not sure what you mean about toolbar in the finder, but if you mean the menu bar at the top of the screen, that size won't change either. Does anybody know how to change those system font sizes without losing the overall res of the monitor? That would be nice.

Just to help clarify, there is a preference under "Finder" but it doesn't include font sizes. You need the "show view options" which is a right click on either the desktop, or a window where you can set the font sizes. On the window option, you can make your choice a default for all windows. I did notice that these sizes do not affect the size of the font in the sidebar on a find window. Not sure what you mean about toolbar in the finder, but if you mean the menu bar at the top of the screen, that size won't change either. Does anybody know how to change those system font sizes without losing the overall res of the monitor? That would be nice.
I actually meant that menu. It's under View->"Show View Options" in the Finder menu bar.

The menu bar font ("Lucida, Grande" if I remember correctly) and other system wide fonts are hard coded in OSX, so mucking with them is risky. I will post back if I find something that can be used to change it.

EDIT:

You can change your system wide fonts with the Apple Developer Tools in Tiger. I tried it and it doesn't work in Leopard, though. Maybe you have to restart the system or something. I don't want to mess up my system, so I'll just leave it alone.

Here's how: http://thedesignspace.net/MT2archives/000196.html

• 3 months later...

Heckers trick works in Leopard too. You just need to log out and log in to see the changes everywhere (otherwise only the Dock seems to change).

It doesn't solve the problem in a clean way though, as not everything scales properly. For example the time machine logo in the menubar gets screwed up. And on top of that, I wonder if changing the resolution to a lower value doesn't give the same (but better) effect. With a higher dpi-setting, will pics still show up in full resolution? Or does everything get rescaled? Maybe that's a dumb question though..

I kind of have the same problem with my mac mini I have connected it to my LCD Flat screen HDMI TV but the option bar at the top and the columns are to small to read and I can not change the font or icon size what ever...

If any one knows how I"ll get him or her a beer ^_^