Shutdown / Sleep (graphics?) Issues

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm running a retail Leopard 10.5.5 installation (Vanilla kernel). So far I've managed to get everything working except 2 things. I boot into OS X with EFI boot v3.

1.) Sleep - I can go into sleep and the PC goes into sleep just fine. However when coming back from sleep, the majority of the display is black and a small corner in the upper left area of the screen is blinking like mad. 1 frame = distorted grey lines or something and 1 frame = part of my desktop that usually resides in that corner. The OS is still working as I can move around the mouse and click on menus in that corner. The rest of the screen beyond the corner is pitch black though. Not sure if this could be attributed to my graphic drivers (natit.kext) or not.

2.) Shut Down - Every time I go to Shut Down, after a little while I get a kernel panic, and I have to force the PC to turn off. This doesn't happen with Restart, that works without issues.

My specs

Asus P5K-E/WiFi-AP (ICH9R, Sound - AD1988B, Wireless - 88E8056, LAN - RTL8187)

Intel C2D E6750

4GB RAM (4x 1GB sticks)

ATi Radeon 3870

3x SATA HDD (1 - windows, 2 - storage, 3 - leopard... EFI is installed on the third)

1x SATA DVD

My kexts in EFI boot v3

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleDecrypt.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

AppleAHCIPort.kext

Natit.kext

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

I'm not sure if I need all those, but I didn't know what some of them were so I'm a bit reluctant removing them. In addition to this I have drivers installed for LAN (Realtek_RTL8187_MacOS10.4_Driver_1309_UI1.5.1), WLAN (marvell 88e8056) and Sound (Taruga_AD1988b_rev4_Installer).

Would appreciate any help.

Cheers.

I've had a look at the link and played around with BIOS settings a bit. Sleep is working properly now. Thanks. :)

I've now reinstalled Leopard because I didn't have a clean backup of my kexts and I managed to track the shut down bug to the audio drivers (as someone on IRC mentioned it might be). I'm now left with the option to either not have audio or have a non working shut down. :(

Any suggestions? My audio chip is a AD1988B.

1. wait a while, shutdown can take up to 1 min ( it works but with a delay)

if not, when osx shuts down then press the powerbutton till its off.

2. audio you can get stereo out with azalia editing ( vendor + device ID)

Unfortunately I need mic input as well, and from what I understand with azalia I only get output. As for Shut Down taking a while, that's not my issue... my issue is that with Tarugas drivers on shut down the system gets a kernel panic and then I have to manually shut it down with holding the power button. Not very comfortable. But anyway I've opted to have a working sound rather than shut down so I'll just wait until someone finds a fix (if that ever happens).

Unfortunately I need mic input as well, and from what I understand with azalia I only get output. As for Shut Down taking a while, that's not my issue... my issue is that with Tarugas drivers on shut down the system gets a kernel panic and then I have to manually shut it down with holding the power button. Not very comfortable. But anyway I've opted to have a working sound rather than shut down so I'll just wait until someone finds a fix (if that ever happens).

This did the trick for me (don't know if it will work in your case), be aware that you need the vanilla AppleACPIPlatform.kext in combination with OpenHaltRestart.kext to make it work. Shut down was working occasionally before (most of the time it didn't work), now it always works :(