The Hackintosh, worth it?

13 posts in this topic

hey all! Been lookin around the forums for some time now, dipping in and out of the info on here and I actually ordered my new PC based on some of the specs found here.

I'm pretty sure all the hardware I've used in my PC will support OSX and I'm sure the installation of it will be a pain, but it'll be at least possible!

I've kind of wanted a mac for a while now since I started studying and working on a more regular basis within the music industry, particularly on the production side of things; and I really want to have some home based machine to run Logic 8 and Final Cut Pro. This would all be well and good if I had the money to fork out for an extra Powermac or a macbook pro but unfortunately I don't. So I think what if I get a 2nd hard drive, stick osx on iit using some of the techniques found here... and bobs your uncle!

but will he really BE my uncle? I'd love to think that logic and final cut and everything will run smooth as if osx were running on a mac, but I can't help but have that thougt of past technological experiences with 'doing things I'm not supposed to'...

so my question to the community: Just how stable and reliable is a hackintosh? Will I be able to run Logic 8, Final Cut and other things stably without any major issues?

Thoughts etc would be very much appreciated!

Also apologies if this is in the wrong section!

Regards,

Christov

It's as stable as your hardware is compatible, imo. If you bought a good chipset[intel/gigabyte/asus/others, NOT nforce/sis/crappy] and cpu/graphics card, you're pretty much set, especially if you do one of the boot-132 methods of installing. I particularly like Munky's EFI partition idea. It's awesome.

Also, moved to Buying Thoughts, etc. forum.

My P5K-VM, E8500, X1900GT, and 4GB RAM is just as stable as my MacBook Pro if not more stable. However, my GA-P45-DS3R with an 8800Gt 4Gb RAM and E8500 is no where near as stable. Video card issues are the primary complaint. My advice is to get slightly older supported hardware. HCL is your best buddy. 8800GT is buggy for me, but every seems to have one.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.5.2

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.5.1

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.5

One line of advice When you have the perfect installation, NEVER software UPGRADE!

Only then you have a real stable mac one you can rely safely on.

If you like tinkering wel osx will not dissepoint you But beleave me one faulty driver or a update can ruine your perfect installation. if it aint broke dont fix it. is my motto. an yes it does feel like a real mac, oke it doesn't look like a mac, but its cheap.

One line of advice When you have the perfect installation, NEVER software UPGRADE!

Only then you have a real stable mac one you can rely safely on.

Not true; I've been updating from 10.5 to 10.5.5 without a problem. furthermore I would say that the system performance/stability got better with each update....

cool, thanks for the feedback guys!

Anyone who actually runs logic pro with a decent amount of audio/synths running at the same time? Would be interested to see how it performs under extreme circumstances.

he'res the system I'm hoping to run my hackintosh on:

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8200 (2.66GHz)

RAM: 2gb corsair 800mhz dual channel

MOBO: Gigabyte P31-DS3L (I'm rubbish with mobos! So here's a link)

GPU: Asus 8800GTS

HDD: Probably a SATA2... 500gb seagate barracuda

Has anyone had experience with these bits of hardware? Can't see it being a huge issue based on others experiences, but would be nice if anyone could hazard a guess as to any problems I may encounter and will have to solve!

Once again cheers for the input :censored2:

Nice computer, beats the pants off both of mine (see sig)

It sounds like you will have no problem installing it on that, and running will be a breeze, especially since it is intel. I've been messing with my AMD CPU for forever and I cant even get Leopard to boot after install.

Good Luck! :censored2:

"Anyone who actually runs logic pro with a decent amount of audio/synths running at the same time?"

Yep - I'm running on an Asus P5W dh deluxe, 3 ghz core2, ATI 2600 video, 4 gig ram - it runs much better than on my 2.16 ghz macbook.

I usually run DP though, which runs great as well.

It's actually what I built my hackintosh for, and I'm VERY happy with it (much faster than my last desktop, a dual mirrored door G4)

Hope that helps

cool, thanks for the feedback guys!

Anyone who actually runs logic pro with a decent amount of audio/synths running at the same time? Would be interested to see how it performs under extreme circumstances.

he'res the system I'm hoping to run my hackintosh on:

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8200 (2.66GHz)

RAM: 2gb corsair 800mhz dual channel

MOBO: Gigabyte P31-DS3L (I'm rubbish with mobos! So here's a link)

GPU: Asus 8800GTS

HDD: Probably a SATA2... 500gb seagate barracuda

It will definerly work. ...I've readed there are some incompatibility issues with the 8800... but I cannot tell for sure since I dont have one. I got a 7600GT which is old but works perfrct for my needs.

I would choose another mobo; maybe a ICH9 based... there are quite a few fully working.

thisone for example:

http://www.giga-byte.com.tw/Products/Mothe...Name=GA-P35-DS3