BillDivX

4 posts in this topic

I have now tried the following leopard installs:

Kalyway 10.5.2

Vanilla Leopard with Chameleon and 10.5.5 combo update

Vanilla Leopard with EFI v8 and 10.5.4 combo update

iDeneb 10.5.5

iAtkos 10.5.4

The only one that boots at all is Kalyway 10.5.2, and it has some serious quirks. I wanted to try other configs, but they all react pretty much the same: hang on boot. iDeneb installs but gives a circle with a line through it during the grey apple boot screen. iAtkos gives the same result even trying to boot the installer. I managed to catch a verbose output for the iAtkos install disk boot:

[JMicronATA] Bus is ready for scan

[JMicronATA] Unit 0, bus is ready for scan

[JMicronATA] ATAPI regs _tfCylLoReg 0[JMicronATA] _tfCylHiReg....

[JMicronATA] Unknown device

[JMicronATA] Unit 1, bus is ready for scan

[JMicronATA] ATAPI regs _tfCylLoReg 0[JMicronATA] _tfCylHiReg....

[JMicronATA] Unknown device

JMicronATA: JM360 (CMD 0xdf00, CTA 0xde00, IRQ 17, BM 0xdb00...

Still waiting for root device

Still waiting for root device

(repeats)

Any suggestions?

Serious quirks:

1) Sometimes when I start the machine the mouse will be uncontrollable. It might do nothing, it might move in a fixed line, or it might jump wildly over the screen. Only way to get it working is to reboot. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 reboots to get the mouse working right. Then it will sometimes go a week or two without problems.

2) every once in a while on boot it will just hang at the grey apple screen. I have not been able to catch the problem in verbose mode because it happens randomly.

3) additionally, I have programs I want to run that require 10.5.3 at least, so the ability to run something other than Kalyway 10.5.2 is important for more than stability.

Note that last night I successfully ran the 10.5.3 Jas update on a Kalyway 10.5.2 install. It boots much slower, but it's the first 10.5.3 I've managed to boot. However, within the first three boot attempts I ran into the mouse bug.