Need Help Updating to 10.5.4, then 10.5.5

AsusZ84JHelp

11 posts in this topic

Just to let you all know, I have an Asus Z84J barebones laptop with an Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.00 GHz processor, 4GB of memory, a 160GB hard drive, the Marvell Yukon 88E8056 Ethernet Controller, the NVIDIA Geforce Go 7700 GPU, and wireless capabilities with the SMCWUSBS-N 802.11a/b/g/n USB adapter as well as the Intel 4965 AGN Mini-PCI Express card. My concern, though, is how can I possibly update my 10.5.3 to 10.5.4, then to 10.5.5? In many attempts, I have failed. Here's how I get to that point every time: I install iATKOS 10.5.1 to create a quad-boot that includes XP Home SP3, Vista Home Premium SP1, and Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10 Alpha 6. After successfully getting to the Leopard desktop, I update to 10.5.2 using the Kalyway Update Combo of that version and while using the netkas method, and I do the same for when I update to 10.5.3: Kalyway Update Combo and the netkas method. If any of you have done what I just described here, and then successfully updated to 10.5.4, then 10.5.5, please give me a rough and detailed description of the steps to take for how to do it. Any help is appreciated, and I thank you for your time.

Hi,

I have an Asus G1S laptop with Leopard installed and update it up to 10.5.4. It works perfectly (except for battery status, sleep and shutdown) and I upgraded the same way you did up to 10.5.3, wich is, if I understood correctly:

Kalyway 10.5.1 -> Kalyway 10.5.2 Combo update -> Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo update -> 10.5.4 with leopard update utility worked perfectly. :)

Right now it seems a little bit difficult to update to 10.5.5 but I'm working on it and if I succeed, I will post here my result unless you give the answer...or someone else in this thread! ^_^

Regards.

Just a couple of things. I started with iATKOS 10.5.1, not Kalyway 10.5.1. Also, what do you mean by the "Leopard update utility"? If you mean Software Update, I just wanted to let you know that in the various methods I tested while using Software Update, every time it resulted in either a kernel panic or an inability to boot into Leopard. Just wanted to mention that just in case.

Just a couple of things. I started with iATKOS 10.5.1, not Kalyway 10.5.1. Also, what do you mean by the "Leopard update utility"? If you mean Software Update, I just wanted to let you know that in the various methods I tested while using Software Update, every time it resulted in either a kernel panic or an inability to boot into Leopard. Just wanted to mention that just in case.

Hi,

You're right, I meant Software Update of course.

I'm not sure the fact that you started 10.5.1 with iATKOS instead of Kalyway, is the cause of your issues. If my memory is correct, I remember reading posts of people who managed to update any osx86 "flavour" (Leo4all, iATKOS, etc...) with Kalyway's combo update (10.5.2 at least). But I'm really not sure about that...try to read the specific thread about Kalyway 10.5.2 Combo Update...

As noticed by splits, check that your kernel is the vanilla one, wich is my case too. And then use only Kalyway's Combo update untill 10.5.3. You'll probably need to fix an issue with your graphic card (nvidia for me), nothing you can't deal with. At this point I used the software Update tool to upgrade successfully to 10.5.4. Here again, I needed to fix issues with my nvidia graphic card.

Finally, regarding the 10.5.5 update, it appears that the right solution is here. I have not tried it yet but I'll let you know for sure!

Regards.

I think that the best method to update, is with Pacifist. You have to download from the apple´s download page, the delta update (if you are in 10.5.4) and select everything except mach_kernel, the other kernel file, System.kext, inside system/library/extension: the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, AppleACPIPlatform.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext. Then, if everything works fine, you can update the kernel.

Here's what I've been able and not been able to accomplish so far.

I start by installing iATKOS 10.5.1 ir2. Success.

I then update by using Kalyway 10.5.2 Update Combo. Success.

I then update by using Kalyway 10.5.3 Update Combo. Success.

I then update by using the Mac OS X 10.5.4 Delta Update. Success.

During each of the update steps, I also used as much of the netkas method as was possible to accomplish each time.

Then I can't get to 10.5.5, and here are each of my attempts at it.

I try using the netkas method and Mac OS X 10.5.5 Update Combo. No good because it won't boot after selecting partition.

I try using the netkas method and Mac OS X 10.5.5 Delta Update. No good because it won't boot after selecting partition.

I try using Mac OS X 10.5.5 Update, osx86tools, and mach_kernel and system.kext that comply with different 9.4.0 or 9.5.0 kernels. No attempt works because each attempt causes a kernel panic. Note that during each successful update, my kernel remains at Darwin Kernel 9.1.0.

I try using the netkas method and Mac OS X 10.5.5 Update. No good because it won't boot after selecting partition.

I try using Software Update. No good because it causes a kernel panic.

I try using the mysticus method you pointed out. After the first boot, it was fine, but also, No Good because after the second boot, there it was, the dreaded kernel panic after picking the 9.4.0 StageXNU kernel.

Are the possibly any other ideas that could finally get my 10.5.4 over the hump and into the promised land of 10.5.5? Any help is appreciated, and I thank you for your time.

It seems like I may need a little more help here to try to get past 10.5.4. Again, just to summarize, I started by installing iATKOS 10.5.1, then successfully updated to 10.5.2 and 10.5.3 using the respective Kalyway Updater Combos, then updated to 10.5.4 using the Mac OS X 10.5.4 Delta Update. In each successful update, I used as much of the netkas method as I was able to use. Now, it seems like I'm ready to seek help more than I ever have before. Anyone who reads this and has had success in updating 10.5.4 to 10.5.5, please let me know how you were able to do it, and provide a rough detailed description of how it worked. Any help is appreciated, and I thank you for your time.

It depends on which kernel you are running, I have successfully updated from Kalyway 10.5.2 with the Vanilla kernel to 10.5.5 with Vanilla kernel, then method I used is detailed here - Click here.

To check which kernel you are using, open a terminal and type: uname -a.

If you are using the Vanilla Kernel, then you should be able to update to 10.5.5, so, from the link above, as you are already on 10.5.4 we'll skip that and start by downloading the 10.5.5 update:

(1) Updated to 10.5.5 with Vanilla Kernal via the Apple Website

Apple Update 10.5.5

(1.1) Download the update

(1.2) Open Terminal

(1.3) type: sudo -s

(1.4) type: while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

(1.5) run the update

(1.6) when request to restart DON'T, kill the terminal command (CTRL+C or CTRL+X) first

(1.7) then click restart as requested

(1.8) type: update -v

(1.9) reboot again

Fingers crossed!

There is also another thread for fixes for the 10.5.5 update - Click here.

Maybe I should ask this: what kernel does Darwin Kernel refer to? I ask because every time I do the -v command (after the 10.5.2, 10.5.3, and 10.5.4 updates), it lists the kernel as Darwin Kernel 9.1.0. I should also make another note. When I start with iATKOS 10.5.1, I'm able to get started with both of these installation choice combos: iATKOS System and Darwin X86 Bootloader, as well as iATKOS System, Darwin EFI Bootloader, AppleACPISystem.kext (or whatever it's called), and Stock Kernel. From experimenting both of these ways, something tells me that Darwin Kernel refers to the vanilla kernel, but in both cases, when I tried to update the kernel to vanilla 9.2 after updating iATKOS 10.5.1 with Kalyway 10.5.2 Combo Update and the netkas method, kernel panics occurred during some phase of trying to successfully update to 10.5.2. For the time being, while I download and eventually burn Kalyway 10.5.2 onto a DVD (so I can start from where you started), I will try to see how far I can get with iATKOS 10.5.1 as my starting point. Anyway, any help is appreciated, and I thank you for your time.