2 x 500GB or 1 x 1TB HDD?

7 posts in this topic

Hey I'm planning on building a dual-booting Hackintosh in about 5 weeks time and I was just wondering if partitioning a 1TB HDD or having 2 500GB HDDs would be better?

I have heard from some people that using one HDD and dual-booting slowly kills your HDD, is that true?

And also, should the 2 500GBs be in RAID? I know nothing about RAID so that might be a really stupid question, but I would still like an answer :D .

Thanks.

I would get the 1TB drive. Later on when you want to upgrade for more storage, powering 3 or 4 hard drives (and fitting them in a case) isn't the ideal situation as opposed to just adding another 1TB (or bigger).

It's more future proof to go with the biggest single size you can get for the money. Takes up less space. Consumes less power. Less noisy.

Hmm.. I just thought up another issue. I would want my music and videos to be on both my Mac and my Windows, so if I bought 2 separate HDDs I would need to have 2 copies of all of it... or a third HDD... any other options?

If I go with a 1TB HDD this problem can be solved easily, just make a third partition that is useable by both Windows and Mac... Slightly leaning towards the 1TB right now just because of this.

• 3 weeks later...

Defenitly 2 drives. I used this on my old desktop rig. One was for windows, one for mac. so at boot i pressed f12 (bios boot selection) and selected, wich one i would like to start. Absolutly easy and no problems with bootloaders, i.e.