Switching from Mac OS X to Vista to Mac OS X again, Switching between OSs solution

SRASC

10 posts in this topic

I successfully installed Mac OS X 10.4.8 on my new X: drive. Problem is though to get to use it again. Currently to enable the Mac again I would have to:

In Vista

-launch DiskPart

-make my OS X partition the active one

-shut down

In BIOS area

-restart

-insert Mac OS X 10.4.8 install DVD

-boot from DVD

-wait for it to start (like an install)

-then it would load & run properly to OS X

& to re-enable Vista:

In Mac OS X

-shut down

In BIOS area

-restart

-insert Vista Install DVD

-boot from DVD

-go to Command Prompt

-make Vista partition active

-restart

-then it will load & run properly back to Vista

Is there a simpler process to switch between Mac OS X & Vista?

Thanks.

Uh, yeah. Why don't you just dual-boot using a bootloader?

Like GRUB. Google "windows grub". I haven't used it, but it *should* work.

Like EasyBCD as well? That is the one that was recommended in the video which described how to do this Mac OS X on a PC thing. If so, how to configure that to dual boot between Vista & Tiger? I've tried many options with that & gotten nowhere.

By chance is there anything I can do from the Mac OS X to make the dual boot work in Vista? (as I am on that OS now)

Like EasyBCD as well? That is the one that was recommended in the video which described how to do this Mac OS X on a PC thing. If so, how to configure that to dual boot between Vista & Tiger? I've tried many options with that & gotten nowhere.

By chance is there anything I can do from the Mac OS X to make the dual boot work in Vista? (as I am on that OS now)

Never tried it. I use linux (openSUSE) a lot, so... GRUB was always my option.

Oh, and some GRUB info I recently found out:

Booting OSX from MBR: (replacing x,y with HDD info)

title OSX

root (hdx,y)

chainloader +1

makeactive

That is how I used to do it. But, since I changed to GPT instead of MBR: (pain in the ass to figure out) (again replacing x,y with HDD info)

title OSX

root (hdx)

chainloader (hdx)+1

And they say you can't boot a GPT/GUID drive with GRUB. HA. I'm a GRUB expert, if you need help, feel free to ask me :P

Never tried it. I use linux (openSUSE) a lot, so... GRUB was always my option.

Oh, and some GRUB info I recently found out:

Booting OSX from MBR: (replacing x,y with HDD info)

title OSX

root (hdx,y)

chainloader +1

makeactive

That is how I used to do it. But, since I changed to GPT instead of MBR: (pain in the ass to figure out) (again replacing x,y with HDD info)

title OSX

root (hdx)

chainloader (hdx)+1

And they say you can't boot a GPT/GUID drive with GRUB. HA. I'm a GRUB expert, if you need help, feel free to ask me ;)

Alright, I am in the Vista partition. The only way I can to the Tiger partition as of this writing is to:

• launch diskpart
  • select disk 0 & part 3
  • restart computer
  • insert OSX DVD
  • allow computer to run from OSX DVD
  • allow it to time out to start
  • OSX boots up

If its possible, can I get a step by step? Cause to be honest I'm learning as I am going along here. If you had asked me if it was possible to do this Wednesday I'd say

Hell No

Oh & if it helps, this is how I get from Tiger to Vista:

• set Tiger to restart
  • insert Vista DVD
  • allow computer to boot from Vista DVD
  • go to repair
  • run command prompt, select disk 0, select part 1
  • restart
  • hopefully boot into Vista the 1st time (if not I have to go into back into the DVD & run a 2nd repair, then reboot again)
  • Vista boots up

Thanks again.

The problem with a situation where you boot to OS X from either GRUB or Vista's bootloader, you have to have fast fingers and you eliminate the possibility of a "quiet boot" to OS X. Both Chameleon and Darwin/x86 automatically boot to the active partition, which is usually Vista/Linux. The only way to get a smooth boot from Vista's BL to OS X is to nuke your hard drive and use GPT and gptsync to get it all functional. Native Chameleon (that is, with GPT) doesn't automatically "bless" Vista, so that the OS X bootloader only boots OS X. So, um, *sigh*...

I successfully installed Mac OS X 10.4.8 on my new X: drive. Problem is though to get to use it again. Currently to enable the Mac again I would have to:

In Vista

-launch DiskPart

-make my OS X partition the active one

-shut down

In BIOS area

-restart

-insert Mac OS X 10.4.8 install DVD

-boot from DVD

-wait for it to start (like an install)

-then it would load & run properly to OS X

& to re-enable Vista:

In Mac OS X

-shut down

In BIOS area

-restart

-insert Vista Install DVD

-boot from DVD

-go to Command Prompt

-make Vista partition active

-restart

-then it will load & run properly back to Vista

Is there a simpler process to switch between Mac OS X & Vista?

Thanks.

From what I have read here & been told for the most part when trying to set up a dual boot with Vista & Tiger (OSX86) (specifically the one I have on now has the message "apple with a bit of hip-hop" or something like that) that I have to use EasyBCD.

If you are dual booting Vista and OSx86 you can use the existing Vista bootloader with some edits using the EasyBCD tool.

So if anyone out there has experience setting up this (my laptop specs are listed as my signature) can someone please help? I have tried all options that I know of. Also, I am new to this (< a week knowledge of this)

Thanks.

Well I was then I had to restart for some reason or other (Windows related update or something). Anyway I tried to launch into Tiger, just for the hell of it, & it worked! I don't know what I did, I don't know if I did anything, but it worked! I tried to relaunch into Vista & that worked as well (that's where I am now). Weird...

I'm a little confused as how all of a sudden it started to work, but happy that it did. Now my only issue is getting my internet to work on it. Wi-fi specifically with an Intel PRO Wireless.

Thanks for the help though. I'll keep your suggestions in mind should something else cause it to not work again.