Can I install Leopard on my HP DV5 laptop?

Randomiser

32 posts in this topic

Well about a month ago i purchased this laptop, it is the HP Pavilion dv5-1009ea. It has NVIDIA 9200M GS GPU, core 2 duo processor and 4gb of ram. For more details click on the link ii gave you. Would i be able to install leopard on it without killing my vista 64-bit install, and is EFI emulation a possability. I really want to give this a go but am not very experienced in the OSx86 world, Please help. :)

Well seeming as no one could help, i went ahead and tried to install it, well it started ok but then i got the still waiting for root device mesage recurring. This being on a 1 month old new laptop i did not want to void my extended warranty so i am not willing to fiddle with any of the drives, is there any non warranty voiding method to fix this, thanks.

Oh i am trying to install iATIKOS 4.0

Oh so you haven't even installed yet. You're probably gonna need yo download a newer DVD to support your chipset and DVD-ROM. I suggest iDeben 10.5.5 because it has chameleon EFI bootloader which has specifically addressed this issue. It should work properly in your case. Otherwise, you could modify some BIOS settings to get it to work properly, but I don't remember how right now. Search the forum.

Um one question, will i still be able to keep my vista install (whilst using chameleon)? after searching for a bit i have not been able to find a definitive answer.

Just make a new partition only for iAtkos and install it there. And then search on google on how to dual booth if you don't know. So you have vista in drive C and iAtkos on whatever drive you put it in.

• 3 weeks later...

i would think you would be able to use the esata port as long as you want to use an external hard drive and then chew up your esata/usb port and possibly 2 more usb ports to power the thing unless you have a separate power supply for your hard drive.

btw, i have a dv4 which is a very similar and i have kalyway 10.5.2 dvd and i'm thinking about attempting an install today but i'm not sure. i want to be sure that i can get my 9200m to work before i do it. i have a dell 1390 wifi card that i know is leopard compatible, but i'm not sure if the hp will let me boot with it or not, i know that my old dv2500t had a device whitelist which would not let me boot my genuine airport express card.

I have a dv5 and I'm trying to install on a USB stick, but that's not going so well. If that doesn't work out, I am going to try esata, and if I do, I'll report back on whether or not it works. I think that it will if it is seen as another port on the main controller. However, the install DVD can' see my internal hard drive, so the DVD may need a patch to support the sata controller.

Did you create a new partition on your drive for osx? If you didn't then it wont find a drive. Something like gparted might work for you. It will allow you to shrink you current drive down and create a partition in the new space. I've got 10.5.5 installed and running on my dv7, a few things arent working 100% yet, but it is all stuff that can be resolved. I find it unlikely that a dv5 and dv7 are so vastly different that it won't work on the 5 as well.

I've been browsing the forum and web for a few days - there are quite many people that try to install osx on a dv5. But not a single report of a successfull instalation!

How does it look like? Can anyone actually say osx runs on his/ her dv5?

I've got a brandnew dv5-1140eg here and definitly want to install osx on it.

I'll habe a go with iDeneb 1.3 (10.5.5)

Does anyone have a few tips for that?

For the waiting for root device I found the following pages:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1119

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...for_root_device

http://allansiew.wordpress.com/2006/05/04/...or-root-device/

My dv5 has the following specifications:

Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 2x 2.00GHz

3072MB RAM

250GB SATA

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512MB

Intel WiFi Link 5100

I'll keep you updated and would apprechiate any tip.

Would it be an advantage to install on a USB Drive - why and how?

Do I have to upgrade any BIOS or chipset thingies?

What does AHCI support do? (http://hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?p=359442)

All righty looks like I'm facing prob #1: Creating a third partition.

the dv5 has 2 partitions preinstalles - one C: for the Vista Sytsem one D: for recovery purposes.

I managed to run Hiren's BootCD (http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd) after a few dozen trial and error tries. PartitionMagic reports errors on the hard drive and won't read it. It claims to repair them - but actually just deletes the D: partition and the won't read the C: partition...

I installed the SATA drivers - as it is a SATA Hdd

I've got no idea what else I could do... despite buying an external hdd (no option)

can anyone help with that one?

All righty... news on the front.

I used the Vista Diskmanager Utilities to resize partition C: (Vista) and created a new NTFS Partition inbetween the existing C: and D: (recovery).

I installed iDeneb 1.3 (10.5.5)

The Darwin boot menu lists OSX, Vista and the recovery partition.

Now OSX loads with the apple logo and then gets stuck on the load screen...

Okay so far:

I've got a dv5-1140eg other, especially older dv5-10xx probably have a different bios.

I did not change anything in bios or flash it or whatever. Bios is completely untouched.

1. Resizing C: Partition

2. Create NTFS Partition with Vista Drive manager

3. Install iDeneb 1.3

I threw in some additional drivers and stuff... now the loading works but I end up with a message telling me to reboot. When I reboot the message will show up again.

Dualboot with Vista works fine (I actually didn't do anything for that either - it just worked)