Which video card to choose?

16 posts in this topic

I need help choosing a video card, which will be running a 24" 1920x1200 monitor as well as a 22" 1680x1050 via DVI.

Ideally it will be enough to power Team Fortress 2 (through Crossover Games, or just plain XP/Vista) at medium-high settings at 1920x1200. Needless to say, it should be (easily) compatible with Hackintosh.

Any suggestions, please?

PS. I assume the upgrade is not as simple as pulling out my 7800GTX and inserting the new card?

I'd suggest a 9800 GTX+. I've got one, and I'm running dual monitors (Though both in 1680x1050) with no problems. The 9800 GTX+ seems to be the fastest card that is easily supported. The 9800GX2 is faster, but apparently only works on certain boards

It should be fairly easy to get going. Just remove your current kexts, and then follow the instructions here. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Also, I would suggest if you're gaming, to just do it in XP/Vista. Especially if you're going to be playing newer games. You'll run into fewer problems

OK, thanks. I'll look at getting a 9800GTX+ unless anyone has better ideas?

PS. Surprised my 7800GTX can still handle TF2 in medium-low settings, 1920x1200 in plain Vista. In OS X + CrossOver Games, it loads and plays but eventually stutters so much that it's unplayable.

Thank you. But it seems a few people are having trouble getting QE/CI working on the 9800GTX+?

Search for any "known working" video card model and I guarantee you'll find somebody having trouble getting it to work!

The 9800 GTX is not officially supported by Apple and so you have to jump through a few hoops (use drivers for another card) to get it running on OSX86. Also, the success stories are from people running 10.5.4. With 10.5.5 it gets even more complicated because injectors (nvinject, natit, nvkush) don't work anymore.

/edit - there's a new Injector called NVDarwin that works with 10.5.5 - I'm using it right now.

The best video card to buy *if you want less hassle* is the 8800 GTS.

Search for any "known working" video card model and I guarantee you'll find somebody having trouble getting it to work!

That's true, hadn't thought of that.

The 9800 GTX is not officially supported by Apple and so you have to jump through a few hoops (use drivers for another card) to get it running on OSX86. Also, the success stories are from people running 10.5.4. With 10.5.5 it gets even more complicated because injectors (nvinject, natit, nvkush) don't work anymore.

I used the 9f23 installer to get video working on 7800gtx. Would this work on the 9800gtx+ as well?

Hmm, brand new the GTS is a bit out of my budget, but I could get the 8800GT... I'll try to hunt down some second hand 8800GT* cards locally.

I would say it's okay, I don't think the drivers could overclock the card or something like that by themselves.

But you are not getting the full benefit of your new hardware - it must be using the rendering engine for the 7800 card if it's recognized as one.

I don't know if it makes much of a difference though.

With 10.5.5 it gets even more complicated because injectors (nvinject, natit, nvkush) don't work anymore.

/edit - there's a new Injector called NVDarwin that works with 10.5.5 - I'm using it right now.

Thanks for pointing these issues out.

Does EFIStudio work with 10.5.5 then?