My OSX86 G4 Updated.

enjoyfebruary

9 posts in this topic

Ok so ive finally decided to bite the bullet and finish this project. In my previous post I outlined what components i would be using.

"I bought a G3 case that was really messed up on the inside ( Thanks eBay ). Someone had the smart idea of using the fan screws from the internal fan in the holes for securing the pci cards. Needless to say everything was really messed up. So I found a local guy with a g4 case. I moved the graphite Apple logos to the translucent sides and used those and the G3 handles on the shell of the G4. I think it looks awesome. An AcBel 500 watt power supply is in the mail. I'm hoping the plug lines up with the pre-existing one. I plan on getting:

Gigabyte GA-G31m-S2l mATX board

Intel Core Duo E8400

2gb of DDR2 800 to start

Gigabyte GV-NX86T256H 8600gt video card.

Lite-On DVD RW

Havent decided on what size HD to get.

I'm also planning on ordering some custom extension cables for everything so i can run everything underneath the motherboard. I want to try to hide and much as I can ( the way Apple would have done. lol.)"

So I've done a bunch of cutting, sanding, and sawing and i've finally fit the motherboard and Dvd-Rw into the case. I have a pretty simple idea for mounting the motherboard so we'll see once i get around to it. I've also done some customizing of the AcBel power leads aswell. I'm just waiting for an email from Performance-Pcs.com guys to get back to me about the custom length power cables. The 24pin atx extension needs to be 24" and the 8 to 4pin converter needs to be 22" to allow the door to open and close without unplugging everything. They quoted me $30 for 24pin and $15 for the 4pin. The DVD-RW I got is a Lite-On 20x SATA Lightscribe burner and the product number is iHAS220-08 6. The combination of this particular drive and the gigabyte board just barely fits only because I chopped the optical bay down to size. Anyway enough jabba jabba. Here are the latest pictures.

DSC00593.jpg

DSC00594.jpg

DSC00595.jpg

DSC00596.jpg

DSC00597.jpg

DSC00599-1.jpg

DSC00602.jpg

DSC00603-1.jpg

Edited by enjoyfebruary

Cute project :P

It's a G3 case BTW, "blue and white" , while the G4 was grey and clear.

I'm preparing for a G5 mod, but I always found these cases more "sympatic".

Do you have a plan for the CPU cooler? (I'm afraid you won't have space for it as is because of the power supply...

Cute project :)

It's a G3 case BTW, "blue and white" , while the G4 was grey and clear.

I'm preparing for a G5 mod, but I always found these cases more "sympatic".

Do you have a plan for the CPU cooler? (I'm afraid you won't have space for it as is because of the power supply...

Actually no it is a G4. I originally bought a G3 but the insides were so messed up i couldnt use it. So i moved all the G3 clear stuff onto a G4 chassis. So it would be "Graphite and White." The logos were a real pain to swap btw.

For a heatsink, the stock cooler that intel gives you fits with room to spare. So i basically need something that is built to be low profile; and there are a number of different options for that. I haven't made up my mind though.

Other pix and comments from kenji site :

image1.jpg

cooler.jpg

Comment from kenji : "The OEM Core2Duo heatsink and fan doesn’t come in contact with the PSU when closing the latch so you can use that for reference. In fact, if you’re in a cold country, the OEM CPU heatsink and fan is more than enough to cool your processor. Enjoy!"

Comment from the link to aqua-mac.com : "The motherboard is Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2L fitted with 2.4 GHz Core2Duo oveclocked to 3.0 GH"