Trying to restore w/Time Machine (after 10.5.5 debacle)

jayroh

6 posts in this topic

I made the update (or so I thought) to 10.5.5 through Apple Update and when I rebooted I got gasfaced with the gray screen saying I needed to shut down or reboot. No way to manage getting it to boot all the way.

so I throw in my kalyway disc to see if I can restore from time machine and after clicking "continue" to start the restore process, it just sits there beach-balling away.

Has anyone run into this before? Is there anything else I should try to do?

I guess I could re-install completely and try to copy over old files from time machine after I get things up and running but I'm worried that a lot of the tweaking and fine-tuning I did to get things working well will get lost. Would that be the case?

Hi Jayroh,

I had the same problem but i used another dvd (Leo4all) and this one is working. The only problem now is that it doesn't boot without the cd.. i guess my bootloader is broken... And didn't find a solution for this yet...

so the problem is solved, but not from a time machine restore (which still baffles and concerns me)

after booting up with -v and seeing what the error(s) was, and doing a little googling, it turned out the solution was to get rid of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (booting into the kalyway dvd and firing up the terminal helped me get it removed).

But at the same time - when the day comes that I *need* to restore the disk I'm guessing I'll be stuck up the river w/o the proverbial paddle.

You can restore from Time Machine without problem, but, remember, when you do so, you erase the efi files that allow your system to boot, so, you need to restore them again after completing the restoration ( there is a method with a usb stick, search for it in this site ). For some reason the Kalyway DVD fail to execute the restoration, so you need another brand to do so. :)

But if you use OSx86 Tools isn't possible to restore your EFI? I am trying to do that but i can't rid of the following problem:

⁠Selected disk is GUID. Running DD...
dd if=/Users/rayrule/Desktop/OSX86Tools_1.0.150/OSX86Tools.app/Contents/Resources/FDISKEFI.app/Contents/Resources/boot1h.guid of=/dev/rdisk0s2 bs=512 count=1
diskutil umountDisk /dev/disk0
dd if=/Users/rayrule/Desktop/OSX86Tools_1.0.150/OSX86Tools.app/Contents/Resources/FDISKEFI.app/Contents/Resources/boot0.guid of=/dev/disk0 bs=400 count=1
DD unable to be completed.
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
512 bytes transferred in 0.016515 secs (31002 bytes/sec)
dd: /dev/disk0: Resource busy