Onboard LAN, PCI LAN and USB WiFi give me kernel panic!

ASNNetworks

13 posts in this topic

Hello, I have working hackintosh, everything works, but LAN doesn't work so well..

These are my specs.

Mobo: Asus P5N-D (nForce 750i)

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600@2.4Ghz

GPU: XFX 8800GT XXX Alpha Dog Edition (512MB)

RAM: 2GB@800Mhz+1GB@800Mhz=3GB

LAN: Onboard nForce 430i, PCI Realtek 8169, USB WiFi Sitecom WL-172

HDD: Samsung SATA 160GB

CD/DVD: IDE

Pretty much everything works, but internet gives me a kernel panic, it happens most of the time after approximately 1 hour, (give or take, sometimes after 40 minutes other times after 1,5 hours) And it happens when I'm downloading someting, or just surfing the web..It happens when I use the onboard nForce LAN with working kext, it happens when I use the Sitecom USB WiFi with working driver, and it happens when I use the Realtek 8169 PCI Ethernet Card, working out of the box...I don't use them at the same time, if that's what you're thining;)

I really don't know why this is, but I'm feeling it HAS to do something with LAN...

It happened when I used Kalyway 10.5.2 (9.2.0 kernel) and it happens now that I'm on JAS 10.5.4 (StageXNU 9.4.0 kernel)

Any suggestions anybody???

REALLY need some help, very frustrating and confusing... :)

Those nForce boards are bad with networking. Try completely disabling the adapters one at a time and see what happens. Don't just turn them "off" in the system preferences, completely disable them by moving the kexts out from /System/Library/Extensions. You can move them back later after you evaluate the results. Start with the nForce LAN kext.

I didn't install any nForce kexts since they give me a random freeze...I even disabled nForce LAN in BIOS...When I'm on mac, I can stay there without freezes or kernel panics...However...when I connect to the internet, I'll get a kernel panic after an hour...It happens with PCI Cards (Realtek 8169, works out of the box) and even USB WiFi that is supported by Sitecom itself for Mac....

Could it be that I have to modify my BIOS settings?

• 2 weeks later...

I currently have the StageXNU 9.4 kernel...How can I change to Voodoo XNU kernel without installing everything all over again?

Previously I had Kernel Panic with internet on modem until I change AppleSMBIOS.kext. Try?

How do I do that exactly? Do I have to remove the kext, or install a different one? If so, which one?

I currently have the StageXNU 9.4 kernel...How can I change to Voodoo XNU kernel without installing everything all over again?

How do I do that exactly? Do I have to remove the kext, or install a different one? If so, which one?

You don't have to reinstall everything to try a new kernel. Just place the voodoo_beta2 kernel in your root directory and chown it to 0:0 (sudo chown 0:0 /voodoo_beta2). You can then boot the voodoo kernel by typing voodoo_beta2 -f at the boot options screen. If the kernel works well you can rename voodoo_beta2 to mach_kernel.