Vice versa... Vista 64bit on Mac Pro slooooow

CaptainNemo

9 posts in this topic

Hiya,

not that I'm wondering that it's a bit slow, but for some work I appreciate a real Windows System. So I bought a Vista 64bit and the installation went smooth. Also my PC GeForce7600GS works perfect and I was able to use my 4 TFTs the same time which really rocks.

But now to the bad things... (as an example) I'm unable to start Google Earth - well - that's not true. I could start it, but it takes ages until the Earth loads and scrolling is NOT possible. I'm honestly a bit pissed off - because I've spend money for a system that don't efficient works. I think it's regarding to the HDD speed. I read that Apple had some issues with the Windows Vista 64bit driver. Also my eSATA won't work (yet) which is also a bit diappointing.

What I've done:

- after installation, I've installed Boot Camp drivers from Mac Pro DVD #1

- reboot

- updated to Boot Camp 2.1

- reboot

- let Windows Update do some work

- reboot

- installed Intel Chipset drivers for 5400 chipset

- reboot

- installed GeForce drivers by nVidia

- reboot

nothing helped yet...

any suggestions? :-/

Ciao

Nemo

That is because the 64bit version of vista is not compatible. The 64bit version of Vista, or XP is notoriously bad for getting drivers to work properly. If you are going to put Vista on a Mac it has to be the 32Bit Version. Vista Ultimate is rocking on a Mac. You also need more than 2Gigs of RAM, 3 would be good but 4 would be great.This is not only true for Mac's but for PC's as well. That is why most PC's are starting to come with a min of 3GB of RAM.

That is because the 64bit version of vista is not compatible. The 64bit version of Vista, or XP is notoriously bad for getting drivers to work properly. If you are going to put Vista on a Mac it has to be the 32Bit Version. Vista Ultimate is rocking on a Mac. You also need more than 2Gigs of RAM, 3 would be good but 4 would be great.This is not only true for Mac's but for PC's as well. That is why most PC's are starting to come with a min of 3GB of RAM.

The 32 bit versions of Windows XP or Vista, even ultimate will only address a maximum of 2gb. That is one of the flaws of a 32 bit address. The 64 bit versions of Windows can address considerably more than the Mac Pro can handle.

He has 6gb in his system right now and wants to use all 6gb of ram.

I have 10gb in mine and I want to have all 10 available to me so I run vista 64.

Oh and the 64 bit versions are considered to be compatible by Apple, thats why the Leopard disc includes drivers for the x64 systems.

32Bits Windows adresses 4GB in total. So it's 4 minus the graphics card memory etc... I think you end up around 3.5gb max at the end. Besides Vista drivers are very good now, unlike in the early days. So you can build a flawless system using Vista and many are using the 64bit version too without any issues (besides the typical uncompatible "funky" hardware).

• 3 weeks later...

In regards to my comment on memory in 32 Bit versions of XP and Vista, HP has a white paper regarding this.

The PCI memory addresses starting down from 4 GB are used for things like the BIOS, IO cards, networking, PCI hubs, bus bridges, PCI-Express, and video/graphics cards. The BIOS takes up about 512 KB starting from the very top address. Then each of the other items mentioned are allocated address ranges below the BIOS range. The largest block of addresses is allocated for today's high performance graphics cards which need addresses for at least the amount of memory on the graphics card. The net result is that a high performance x86-based computer may allocate 512 MB to more than 1 GB for the PCI memory address range before any RAM (physical user memory) addresses are allocated.

Here’s the official answer from Microsoft:

* 32-bit versions of Windows Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate: 4GB

* 32-bit Windows Vista Starter: 1GB

* 64-bit versions of Windows Vista Home Basic: 8GB

* 64-bit versions of Windows Vista Home Premium: 16GB

* 64-bit versions of Windows Vista Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate: 128GB