The Linux Ecosystem, what it is and where do you fit in it?

Alessandro17

15 posts in this topic

Why hate so much on Canonical and Ubuntu? Seriously? What did it do to you? Give you herpes or something????

I just don't understand...

It is pretty unfair being accused of something just because you have posted 2 links without a word of comment.

So where did I say that "I hate Canonical and Ubuntu?" I am just reporting news :)

It is pretty unfair being accused of something just because you have posted 2 links without a word of comment.

So where did I say that "I hate Canonical and Ubuntu?" I am just reporting news :angel:

Oh, come on A17. We all know your dirty little secret...

:P

I think this topic is a clear example of what we should and shouldn't be promoting and discussing. I'm all for the dissemination of knowledge and information, but have very little time for dissing & fanboyism.

The second link is a dry and factual rundown of the way the linux kernel is created and maintained, and as such is a welcome, albeit somewhat terse contribution.

The first link, however, is just sheer childish dissing of the contributions, or lack thereof, from one particular participant in an open source project. As such I feel it is out of place on this forum, unless it be under laughs, and even then it's not really that funny.

I think this topic is a clear example of what we should and shouldn't be promoting and discussing. I'm all for the dissemination of knowledge and information, but have very little time for dissing & fanboyism.

Although I agree with this...

I acknowledge A17's right to post what he feels is right. I love freedom of opinion, and to say this thread is wrong, defies what I believe.

That is why I don't worry about it and joke around...

(sigh) Why is it any attempt to encourage maturity gets turned into a free speech issue? How come people will scream & shout at the slightest protest against their ridicule, abuse and belittling of anything they like for their own amusement?

This is nothing to do with free speech. This is everything to do with trying to gently encourage an intelligent level of discussion instead of degenerating into mindless namecalling and entrenched fanboyism.

I've only dabbled with Linux and I know there are Linux peeps who hate a lot on Ubuntu. But regardless of what you feel about the company or the distro, is has contributed more to getting Linux "out there" in the mainstream than any other distro I can think of. That should surely outweigh any lack of contributions elsewhere.

The first link, however, is just sheer childish dissing of the contributions, or lack thereof, from one particular participant in an open source project. As such I feel it is out of place on this forum, unless it be under laughs, and even then it's not really that funny.

Actually the childish opinions (facts?) which do not even deserve to be in in "Laughs", come from a well respected kernel developer and contributor to several other projects, not just one (project):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Kroah-Hartman

Greg Kroah-Hartman is a Linux kernel hacker. He is the current Linux kernel maintainer for the USB, driver core, debugfs, kref, kobject, and the sysfs kernel subsystems. He is also the maintainer of the linux-hotplug and created the udev projects. Additionally, he helps to maintain the Gentoo Linux packages for these programs, and helps with the kernel package. He works for Novell in the SUSE Labs division. He is currently working full time on the Linux Driver Project.

He is a co-author of "Linux Device Drivers, 3rd Edition" and author of "Linux Kernel in a Nutshell", and used to be a contributing editor for Linux Journal. He also contributes articles to LWN.net, the news computing site.

Kroah-Hartman frequently helps in the documentation of the kernel and driver development through talks and tutorials. In 2006, he released a CD image of material to introduce a programmer to working on Linux device driver development.

One might agree or disagree with Greg Kroah-Hartman, but not call his opinions "childish".

instead of degenerating into mindless namecalling and entrenched fanboyism.

Where did you see that?

I've only dabbled with Linux and I know there are Linux peeps who hate a lot on Ubuntu. But regardless of what you feel about the company or the distro, is has contributed more to getting Linux "out there" in the mainstream than any other distro I can think of. That should surely outweigh any lack of contributions elsewhere.

Of course what the "Linux peeps who hate a lot on Ubuntu." will ask you is which kind of Linux idea Ubuntu has given to new users. Half an hour ago a girl told me that she hates Linux, absolutely. Guess what? She has only used Ubuntu. For her Ubuntu is Linux.

Of course what the "Linux peeps who hate a lot on Ubuntu." will ask you is which kind of Linux idea Ubuntu has given to new users. Half an hour ago a girl told me that she hates Linux, absolutely. Guess what? She has only used Ubuntu. For her Ubuntu is Linux.

True, but who's to blame? Ubuntu for pushing a "dodgy" distro to the masses or the other distros for not embracing them sooner? For the record, in the last year I've done Ubuntu, Kubuntu, PCLOS and Sabayon and all failed in one way or another. OpenSolaris is up next when I have the time (zfs, raid-z and quicktransit have me interested).

If the Linux community wasn't fragmented across a few hundred competing distros it might have a better chance of putting out a viable user-friendly system that could satisfy people who want to get rid of Windows but keep getting dragged back to it due to hardware or software incompatibilities.

And briefly back to Ubuntu. While I'm not a fan, the support from it's users on forums is what helps make people take their first steps into Linux. I don't see any other distro with that level of coverage. Want to get something working in Ubuntu? Google it. Someone probably already has a guide somewhere. Want to get the same thing working in PCLOS? Maybe not...

True, but who's to blame? Ubuntu for pushing a "dodgy" distro to the masses or the other distros for not embracing them sooner? For the record, in the last year I've done Ubuntu, Kubuntu, PCLOS and Sabayon and all failed in one way or another.

It is a long story, and if told, it would explain the reasons why so many senior Linux users (including myself, if I may say so) dislike Ubuntu so much.

However, Ubuntu isn't by any means the distro which invented ease of use. Lindows/Linspire, Xandros, Mandrake/Mandriva and, maybe to a lesser extent, SUSE/openSUSE did.

What makes Ubuntu different? It is the millions of Euro they could spend in their aggressive advertising campaign.

Linux was growing nicely and in a linear way even without Ubuntu.

Ubuntu changed most of the rules the Linux community had always taken for granted.