Best way to update from 10.5.1 to 10.5.5?

accorkie

13 posts in this topic

Its been a while since i looked into this forum. Installed Leopard 10.5.1 a few months and its been running pretty smooth since then. Needing suggestions on whether its worth it and advantages to upgrade to the current 10.5.5 and what's the easiest/safest way to upgrade? thanks

LP

I started with 10.5.2, went to 10.5.3 and got trouble. 10.5.3 has some benefits as some Apps can't run without it. Umm I can't comment from 10.5.1 to .2 10.5.2 to 10.5.3 is a pain... well it is for me. I heard 10.5.3 to 10.5.4 was cake, and that 10.5.5 is a pain.

Go to Apple's site and download the 10.5.5 combo update. It's like a service pack, it'll take you from 10.5.1 to 10.5.5. Just be careful about IntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

what about the intelcpupowermanagement.kext do i need to be careful about?

So the upgrade from the apple site works even on Leopard OS that are installed on PCs? I thought the upgrades on the apple site were only for the "real" macs.

I had my system (intel) do a check for update, I was at 10.5.3 got that one from apple, it said there was a 10.5.5 so I got it and now my system will not boot. so It looks like I need to start from scratch or put it in the corner and move on to something else. sure hate to loose what I had on the drive but life goes on

I have the same problem. I followed tutorials involving the Terminal and the commands to deal with IntelCPUPowerManagement but alas, I cannot update. I have Kalyway 10.5.1 and I tried the "official" Apple Combo Update. The update froze at the "3 minutes remaining" despite the Terminal script running in the background and after that my machine became completely unbootable.

Do not update directly from 10.5.5 Combo update it will ruin your leopard. First you need to update to 10.5.2, I used the Kalyway 10.5.2 combo update for this. 10.5.3 has an issue with QE and PS2 ports so use JaS 10.5.3 Combo update. After that you can update to 10.5.4 and 10.5.5 by update directly available from Apple using the guide available in this forum (Please do not use the combo update for this purpose as combo updates include all updates prior to update release).

The Kalyway 10.5.3 screwed up my USB, can't read a single thing from it.

So is it easier to go from 10.5.3 --> 10.5.5 or is it safer to stick 10.5.4 in there?

Is there any "advantage" to updating? I mean some apps can't run without 10.5.3, but is there any advantage to getting up to 10.5.4 or 10.5.5? Will it fix some problems that one might have in 10.5.3 or just make them worse.