Stuck on grey screen after install Kalyway

squigglethecow

21 posts in this topic

I have installed Kalyway (10.5.2 for amd) on a partition of my hard drive.

The install went well, no glitches. It did take awhile (maybe 1 hour and a 1/2).

After it installed and reboots, I get a grey screen with the apple logo and a little circle going around and around

and it sits there....indefinitely :( . I re-installed, and left this grey screen up overnight, nothing changed.

The computer hardware checks out via the wiki (except the ethernet and vid card, which could work and could not) and throughout thew install process the system didnt seem to lag or have issues running.

I cant seem to find any problems like this, has anyone heard of this problem? Any suggestions on trying to fix it?

Thanks.

I myself am stuck on this screen, install worked fine.

computer should work ¿right?

CPU-Z 1.47 report file

Processor(s) Number of processors1Number of cores1 per processorNumber of threads1 per processorNameMobile AMD Sempron 3600+Code NameSpecificationMobile AMD Sempron Processor 3600+PackageSocket S1 (638)Family/Model/SteppingF.C.2Extended Family/ModelF.7CBrand ID3Core SteppingTechnology65 nmCore Speed2000.1 MHzMultiplier x Bus speed10.0 x 200.0 MHzHT Link speed800.0 MHzStock frequency2000 MHzInstruction setsMMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64L1 Data cache (per processor)64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line sizeL1 Instruction cache (per processor)64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line sizeL2 cache (per processor)256 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line sizeChipset & Memory NorthbridgeATI Xpress 200 (RS480) rev. 10SouthbridgeATI SB600 rev. 00Memory TypeDDR2Memory Size1024 MBytesMemory Frequency250.0 MHz (CPU/8)CAS# Latency (tCL)4.0 clocksRAS# to CAS# (tRCD)4 clocksRAS# Precharge (tRP)4 clocksCycle Time (tRAS)12 clocksBank Cycle Time (tRC)17 clocksCommand Rate (CR)1TMemory SPD Module 1DDR2, PC2-5300 (333 MHz), 512 MBytes, SamsungModule 2DDR2, PC2-5300 (333 MHz), 512 MBytes, SamsungSoftware Windows VersionMicrosoft Windows Vista (6.0) Home Basic Edition Service Pack 1 (Build 6001) DirectX Version10.0any ideas?

Try booting with -v at the Darwin prompt and see where its halting at.

When I first installed I typed -v and it went through a bunch of code, which took a few minutes but in the end it went through to the installer, so, while I have the code up is there something specific I should be looking for?

Hey,

Try booting with -v at the Darwin prompt and see where its halting at.

Good luck

Thanks for the suggestion

When I first installed I typed -v and a bunch of code popped up, and ran some checks I suppose, and after a few minutes the installation started, so is there anything specific I should be looking for while the code is up? cause it doesnt actually 'halt' anywhere.

thats the thing, the code doesnt stop, it finishes and then the grey screen comes up. I will go try to boot now and will see if I can see anything that says 'error' in the code. be back

dammit im in the same boat too

it just get stuck there...sucks

i even replace my videocard i when from nvida 512 gforce 68xxx to ATI 128 x1400

with out luck any sugestion or solutions will be appreciated

thanks

Specs of the Dell Inspiron e1705

Processor: Intel 1.73GHz Core Duo

Motherboard Chipset: Intel Calistoga i945GM/PM

Hard Drive: 120GB SATA

Memory/RAM: 4GB

Graphics: ATI 128 X1400

Wireless: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG (802.11 a/b/g)

thank you again

so far the only thing the code has said that looks odd is ''error: unable to determine security mode: defaulting to full secure''

this error is mentioned in this thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=93619

although now that I read through it, the gray screen issue isnt mentioned until the end and they didnt mention any solution to it.

through IRC chat, I was told that versions made my LawlessPPC have the best AMD support and that the kalyway I was trying to use was the wrong version for my chipset (which is odd since the kalyway is for AMD). I might try to download the LawlessPPC one, but it took over 20 hours to download the kalyway so I really dont want to do that.

Here is a neat thread with some AMD info in it, see the replys.

If anyone has more suggestions that doesnt involve another boot disk, you could save me 20+ hours..... :)

through IRC chat, I was told that versions made my LawlessPPC have the best AMD support and that the kalyway I was trying to use was the wrong version for my chipset (which is odd since the kalyway is for AMD). I might try to download the LawlessPPC one, but it took over 20 hours to download the kalyway so I really dont want to do that.

If anyone has more suggestions, you could save me 20+ hours :)

First check that your BIOS settings are OK for running OS X......

no-execute page-protection (NX) [Enabled]

ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]

ACPI Suspend Mode [s3] or [s1] or [s1 and S3]

Configure SATA as "AHCI" or Serial-ATA Configuration [Enabled]

I'm glad I'm not alone. I'm stuck with the gray screen/pinwheel as well.

Same result regardless if I do a 10.5 -> 10.5.5 Combo or 10.5.4 -> 10.5.5 incremental update.

Postmortem on the system log shows:

Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components;

I've tried replacing kexts with those from my working 10.5.4 setup to no avail.

ASUS P5W DH, Nvidia 8500GT, IntelPro Ethernet

Hey,

If you get a gray screen it might be a graphics card problem. What graphics card do you have?

I have the 9800 GX2, however during the install the graphics looked fine, resolution was low but color wise looked just the interface of a regular mac.

Hey,

If you get a gray screen it might be a graphics card problem. What graphics card do you have?

I have the 9800 GX2, however during the install the graphics looked fine, resolution was low but color wise looked just the interface of a regular mac.

First check that your BIOS settings are OK for running OS X......

no-execute page-protection (NX) [Enabled]

ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]

ACPI Suspend Mode [s3] or [s1] or [s1 and S3]

Configure SATA as "AHCI" or Serial-ATA Configuration [Enabled]

Vista will not boot with SATA set to AHCI, but I can change it just before I install OS X

I cannot find no-execute page-protection anywhere, how important is it? Where is it usually found?

Vista will not boot with SATA set to AHCI, but I can change it just before I install OS X

I cannot find no-execute page-protection anywhere, how important is it? Where is it usually found?

You need to enable the AHCI driver in Vista before the BIOS switch.....see here....

Look for XD or Execute Disable Bit.....whichever it is, it should be enabled......also if present as this or similar

CPU Internal Thermal Control [AUTO]

Limit CPUID MaxVal [DISABLED]

Enhanced C1 (C1E) [DISABLED]

You need to enable the AHCI driver in Vista before the BIOS switch.....see here....

Look for XD or Execute Disable Bit.....whichever it is, it should be enabled......also if present as this or similar

CPU Internal Thermal Control [AUTO]

Limit CPUID MaxVal [DISABLED]

Enhanced C1 (C1E) [DISABLED]

I still cant find anything like no page protection' or executable bit in my bios.

I have tried messing around with the customize settings before install (previously I had left them at default) and now I get an endless bootloop (with amd path 1 and 2). I will continue to play with the settings, but its a pain since it takes an hour and 1/2 to see if my changes worked. Any way to cut this time down?

and thank you for the bios advice, I hadnt done anything to it before you mentioned it. and thanks for the vista info.

I still cant find anything like no page protection' or executable bit in my bios.

I have tried messing around with the customize settings before install (previously I had left them at default) and now I get an endless bootloop (with amd path 1 and 2). I will continue to play with the settings, but its a pain since it takes an hour and 1/2 to see if my changes worked. Any way to cut this time down?

and thank you for the bios advice, I hadnt done anything to it before you mentioned it. and thanks for the vista info.

You could try Google for <AMD BIOS screen shots screens settings OS X x86 Tiger Leopard> i.e. simultaneous search terms without <>......

You could try Google for <AMD BIOS screen shots screens settings OS X x86 Tiger Leopard> i.e. simultaneous search terms without <>......

After adjusting the bios settings and messing with various kernals at install I got os x to load just fine. Now I just need to update some drivers and such...but at least it boots now. THANKS!

Also, anyone having that Grey screen get stuck, try messing around with the different options before install (diff kernels, kets, patches, ETC) and see if that can get you anywhere.