how to over clock q6600

johnmvk

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am runnining OSX86 Leopard 10.5.3.(Hackintosh) Edit software Final Cut Studio2, Now enybody can help me, how to overclock Q6600 with mobo Intel S975Xbx2.I have no idea how to. Please help me with step by step.

This is system cofiguration.

Processor-Intel Core2 Quad Q6600

Mother Board-Intel S975XBX2(Server Mobo)

Ram-DDR2 800Mhz -x 2

Graphic Card PCI Express-Geforce 8800 GT 512MB Ram

Westen Digital Sata- HD 500GB x 2

johnmvk.

Q6600's are known for being able to be pushed to ridiculous clock speeds. Tons of tech websites have called them the "greatest overclocker of all time" and stuff like that.

The simplest thing you can do (and probably won't require an aftermarket cooler) would be to simply go into the BIOS and move your FSB up one level. The Q6600 has a FSB of 1066 and a lot of mobos come with 1333/1066 timing. So, change yours from 1066 to 1333 and you'll get an instant overclock that isn't too far. The CPU can definitely handle it, but you might need to change your RAM ratio. Corsair, Kingston, OCZ... all them can do it, other off-brands... not so much.

Q6660s are pretty decent overclockers, but I wouldn't say their the best. They are pretty great though. But if you really want to get into some deep overclocking, if you don't know or have already, mess around with voltage settings along with the fsb and multiplier.

• 1 month later...

hi.

take a look to this page.

it have very useful and interesting information about q6600 o.c.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/243644...erclocking-1066

but I think the main subject is that what Kernel you should use?

what kernel is best to use with q6600? Vanillakernel ? intelSpeedStep? or others?

I am also interest to find it.

anyone ?