Ordered New Computer

12 posts in this topic

Ok so I am still running an very tired P4 with XP and have never been able to get OSx on here. I found this great deal on a new pc at slickdeals.net and ordered a new HP (I never thought I would say that) It was a price I could not pass up. So with that said, I am going to give my new hardware specs, Can everyone please help me with any known issues or what is the "best" way to get OSx on it, I don' think I could ever use Vista and i comes pre loaded "Yuck!!"

HP Pavilion Elite m9300z Desktop

AMD Phenom 9550 quad core 2.2gig

Nvidia GeForce 9300 256mb, DVI-I, and HDMI

320 gig sata 7200 rpm HD

Blu-ray DVD writer/player and Lightscribe supermulti dvd burner

ATSC-NTSC TV tuner with PVR, FM and Remote

all for $600

Thank you all, and if anyone lives in the Raleigh Durham area I would be willing to pay for help installing and working out bugs thanks!!!

No chance in HELL!

Asus M2N68-LA

with nforce 430 chip set

Audio CODEC: ALC888 will work with a little tweak or work out of te box

Onboard LAN PCI Realtek RTL8201N 10/100Mbps

well you have a chance to get it working but dont know about lan

Ok so I am still running an very tired P4 with XP and have never been able to get OSx on here. I found this great deal on a new pc at slickdeals.net and ordered a new HP (I never thought I would say that) It was a price I could not pass up. So with that said, I am going to give my new hardware specs, Can everyone please help me with any known issues or what is the "best" way to get OSx on it, I don' think I could ever use Vista and i comes pre loaded "Yuck!!"

HP Pavilion Elite m9300z Desktop

AMD Phenom 9550 quad core 2.2gig

Nvidia GeForce 9300 256mb, DVI-I, and HDMI

320 gig sata 7200 rpm HD

Blu-ray DVD writer/player and Lightscribe supermulti dvd burner

ATSC-NTSC TV tuner with PVR, FM and Remote

all for $600

Thank you all, and if anyone lives in the Raleigh Durham area I would be willing to pay for help installing and working out bugs thanks!!!

If you insist on using such components with osx86, you'll want the LawlessPPC install image, which has fixes especially for Phenoms. You'll probably need to install and boot with cpus=1 -x -v to get rid of the nforce/nvidia card conflicts until you get the cards vendor/device ids into Geforce.kext, NVDAResman.kext, and NVDANV50Hal.kext (the usual nForce fixes), that is if that ATA/SATA chipset is supported at all.

Interesting. I have 2 P4 machines - a desktop and a laptop - both running OSX flawlessly. Not the fastest, but they do what I need absolutely perfectly.

As far as HP goes, I used to buy Dells. Lately I've been building my own from scratch but if I had to buy one pre-made I would buy an HP because Dell ain't what they used to be. No shame in that.

Your biggest problem may turn out to be that AMD processor. Your choice of kernels is going to be somewhat limited there.

"You sir, are challenged to a dual at sunset, at the creek behind the Castle"

Kate

Kate says....

Her Dell is perrrrfect, the new apple Aluminium(aluminum for the non english speaking americans :D ) keyboard is a bit difficult to use with her paws, but she doesn't blame Apple for that!

She has one of the best built units on the planet!

SticMAN

............because Dell ain't what they used to be. ...........

"You sir, are challenged to a dual at sunset, at the creek behind the Castle"

Kate

Kate says....

Her Dell is perrrrfect, the new apple Aluminium(aluminum for the non english speaking americans :) ) keyboard is a bit difficult to use with her paws, but she doesn't blame Apple for that!

She has one of the best built units on the planet!

SticMAN

what have you been smoking ;)

I have tried so many times to get the old P4 to boot, i have gotten all the way through the install and when it tries to boot I get the blinking courser, oh and I really would have gone with the Intel chip set, but then i would have had to give up the Blu-ray burner and that is the only thing that makes the computer worth $600. Thanks for all the advice and please keep it coming!

Currently running

p4 2.4 gig w\Hyper treading

ATi 9550

750 gig HDD space, (3 250 gig IDE drives)

and 8x dvd burner

looking forward to the upgrade!

FYI

blinking cursor = easiest. fix. ever.

insert the dvd, type rd=diskXsY (where X is the disk number, if it's the only hard drive it's disk0, and Y is the partition number, if it's the only partition on an MBR partition table then it's disk0s1)

it'll boot up the install using the dvd as a bootloader, install chameleon once it's booted to fix it and no longer need to use dvd as a bootloader. (http://chameleon DOT osx86 DOT hu )

• 4 months later...