Fastest VNC Server?

4 posts in this topic

I am going to be using a computer without a monitor (because I haven't bought one yet). My plan is to set up a VNC server (or Leopard screen sharing) on the monitorless computer (running OS X Leopard) and then use my existing computer which is on the same network as a VNC viewer to control it. My question is how fast exactly will it be? They are both using a wired ethernet connection (CAT5) and connected to an AT&T 2WIRE router. Hopefully since they are on the same network and wired, I will get decent speed without the usual lag of using VNC, but does anyone have any ideas?

Hi ~pcwiz:

If you have any machines running Tiger (10.4.x), then I can highly recommend Vine Server (formerly OSxVNC). I've been running Vine Server on my OSx86 PC for couple years (starting from 10.4.6 then 10.4.10 and now 10.4.11).

It works great and it's fast. I've been able to connect using Windows and OS X clients.

Vine Server

Danyel :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have my Leopard server sitting in my router's DMZ at home. I've pointed a subdomain of mine to the dedicated IP I've got there. I've also allowed for HTTP/FTP/VNC (and various) connections through the firewall.

Here at work, I just enter Command+K in finder, enter vnc://my.subdomain.com, and instantly screen sharing comes up.

It works great.

I've also used it over a network (all internal) and it was great. just vnc://192.168.xxx.xxx and kaboom.

Old thread, but I've been having fun with this lately.