Insalling OSX on computer with Windows and Ubuntu without formatting

5 posts in this topic

I have a computer that came with Windows XP (SP3) pre-installed. I later installed Linux (Ubuntu Hardy Heron). I now want to install OSX using Kallyway's version. I've read a lot of tutorials for triple-booting using the same hard drive, but they all tell me to format the hard drive, so I'm wondering, is there a way to triple boot my computer without having to format the hard drive? It would be a real pain to have to install everything again, so if you can provide me with a link that could help me, or if you could explain what to do, I would be extremely greatful. Thanks to anyone that helps me!!

Simple enough. Get another hard drive (in your computer, an external's ok but will be slower). You can find some pretty cheap ones with a bit of Googling.

Once you fetch that spare hard drive, format and install OS X onto that. :(

Simple enough. Get another hard drive (in your computer, an external's ok but will be slower). You can find some pretty cheap ones with a bit of Googling.

Once you fetch that spare hard drive, format and install OS X onto that. :(

So it's not possible to install it into my current hard drive? If I install it into a new hard drive, how would I configure it so that it shows all three operating systems on the Grub Bootloader? Thanks for your quick answer!

Hey,

you just need to add this to your menu.lst in grub

title OSX86

root (hdX,Y)

chainloader +1

you can change root (hdX,Y) with your OS X partition

X= hard disk number

Y= Partition number

Thank you both!!! I'm gonna grab another hard drive and install it there. Once installed, I'll modify the menu.lst to what I imagine would be:

title OSeX86

root (hd1,0) [This is because it's the second hard drive (1) and the first partition (0)]

chainloader +1

Correct me if I'm wrong though. Thanks!