Suitable motherboard with firewire? Or firewire addon-card?

5 posts in this topic

Can anyone find a motherboard that's as compatible as possible for hackintosh use, and that has at least one firewire port on it? Doesn't have to be on the I/O section on the back, something that connects to the front is good as well.

I'm trying to set together a hackintosh with firewire working.

I have an old PCI-card that is 2 firewire ports, but there's no drivers for that.

Considering there's no (last I checked at least) Intel Mac's that has PCI ports on the motherboard, what's the chance of finding a card that can provide firewire?

This would probably be better in Buying recommendations etc, I realize now.

Anyone with authority, please feel free to move the thread!

The Gigabyte boards use TX chips for firewire, they work fine.

But if you are into speed (firewire800) chekc out THIS post.

There are no-name firewire800 cards (PCIe bus!) for about 50 bucks.

greetinz, n.

Can anyone find a motherboard that's as compatible as possible for hackintosh use, and that has at least one firewire port on it? Doesn't have to be on the I/O section on the back, something that connects to the front is good as well.

I'm trying to set together a hackintosh with firewire working.

I have an old PCI-card that is 2 firewire ports, but there's no drivers for that.

Considering there's no (last I checked at least) Intel Mac's that has PCI ports on the motherboard, what's the chance of finding a card that can provide firewire?

Check the 'old' PCI card in whatever system you build. Chances are great that it'll work fine. I've got 'ancient' PCI Firewire cards that are so old I can't even remember when I bough them- they worked fine in a brand new Hackintosh. If the card does work, it won't require any additional drivers, it'll just work. Even though Macs don't have PCI slots, the OS still does support the PCI bus. (For now, anyway).

If by chance it doesn't work, and all you need is Firewire 400, this Syba Firewire card works great.