Dell Precision 650...... IT'S WORKING!

madur0

25 posts in this topic

Dell Precision 650...... IT'S WORKING!!!!!!! ^_^

It took me 5 days to figure this out.

I got it to work!! No more constant reboots and no more looking for root disk!!

I used iDeneb v1.1 10.5.4

Burn the DVD as slow as it will go with a DVD-R.

Turn off your SCSI card first and when you install OSX86, use these custom settings.

dscn2851r.jpg

This is what you get when it's done. Another thing.... it's REALLY REALLY FAST!! I am on my way to bed but I want to try to get SCSI to work tomorrow. I'll update as I figure out more. Also, this should also work for the Precision 450 model (someone verify).

dscn2850r.jpg

Madur0

Update:

Last night before I went to bed, I enabled the on-board SCSI and rebooted. Under mac properties, it sees the card and the drive but Disk Utilities did not see the scsi drive. Also, I was hearing a constant noise coming from the computer which I did not know what it was. It went away after I disabled the scsi. That's all I was able to investigate before I hit the sack. I left the computer running all night to see how stable it was and it woke up from the screen saver nicely this morning.

I didn't attach speakers to it so I can not verify the sound card. It saw the network card and said it was enabled but I couldn't ping any of my other computers on the network. Also, haven't tried USB and Firewire. I will try other items later tonight and report back.

Madur0

Update:

USB works.

Sound does not work.

Video is stuck at 1024x768.

SCSI works.. kinda. The computer keeps spinning down the HD and when it spins back up it crashes the computer. I haven't had time to investigate. See image below.

It sees the network card but it's not working. If anyone can help out please replay. This is my next priority.

Network: Integrated PCIx 64-bit Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit1 Ethernet

dscn2852r.jpg

Madur0

Update:

I disabled the network card and replaced it with an Intel Pro 1000 MT gigabit NIC. OSX86 recognized it out of the box. It is flaky. Whenever I try to Timbuktu or VNC into it it crashes the computer. If anyone knows of a ktext mod, let me know. I will try the Netgear GA310 next.

My Precision 650 has a AGP Pro 110 which is a nVidia Quadro NVS 280. I've searched around but not seeing anything helpful. The resolution is stuck at 1024x768.

BTW, I didn't mention this ealier but the boot disk is an IDE disk and it is on a seperate IDE channel from the cdrom drive.

The sound card will be the last on the list.

• 3 weeks later...

Update, Rewrite:

I've reinstalled the iDeneb 1.1 on the Precision 650 several times to see what works and what doesn't. Here is what I've gathered so far:

Onboard Audio works

Onboard SCSI works (for the initial install, you must disable and enable later)

Onboard NIC does not work

I disabled it and replaced with a Realtek 8169 gigabit

Stock video card, nvidia NVS 280 works but at 1024x768 only

I replaced it with a nvidia 7300GT AGP

You need to install the

There are several dead links in the thread but this
works

Now I get 1920x1200 with Quartz GL

So, here is the updated install process:

1. Disable the onboard scsi and attach an IDE drive and prep it for the install.

precision650installosx01.jpg

2. Erase the drive, partition as needed.

precision650installosx02.jpg

3. Select custom install.

precision650installosx03.jpg

4. Select the following patches and applications. Start installation.

precision650installosx04.jpg

precision650installosx05.jpg

precision650installosx06.jpg

5. After the install is done, you should see the following config (use the OSX86tools to view hardware detail, you'll first need to update it from the installed version).

precision650installosx07.jpg

6. Use OSX86tools to enable Quartz if your video card supports it.

precision650installosx08.jpg

7. If you buy a nvidia 7300GT, be sure to use the Universal Geforce Driver Package. I get 1920x1200 resultion on my 24inch monitor:

precision650installosx09.jpg

The toughest part about this install was trying to find a good video card. There are so many video drivers for the nvidia that it is more confusing than helpful since many of them just don't work with the Precision. I tried nvinject, agpgart, and manually modified KTEXT files until I tried the Universal Geforce Driver Package. If you get other AGP cards working with the Precision 650, I'd like to know.

Madur0

• 1 month later...

Thanks for you post. Thanks to your tip i was able to install ideneb v1.3 on my Dell precision 670. For all of you with the same machine. Use GUID when formatting the drive. Install the kernel, ichx fix, ac97 patch and nvinject if you have an nvidia graphics. nvinject didn't work with my quadro fx 1400 card. I replaced it with an old 7600 that i had laying around. I also installed AHCI fix.

If you don't install using GUID it goes into and endless reboot cycle. If you don't select speedstep kernel and ichx fix you get: still waiting for root device. To get the apple installer to see your SCSI drives you have to format them from the BIOS. I takes hours.

I just installed AHCI fix because i was getting an error message at start up: Extensions "com.apple.driver .AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components ; use only one style. The AHCI fix made it go away.

Thanks for you post. Thanks to your tip i was able to install ideneb v1.3 on my Dell precision 670. For all of you with the same machine. Use GUID when formatting the drive. Install the kernel, ichx fix, ac97 patch and nvinject if you have an nvidia graphics. nvinject didn't work with my quadro fx 1400 card. I replaced it with an old 7600 that i had laying around. I also installed AHCI fix.

If you don't install using GUID it goes into and endless reboot cycle. If you don't select speedstep kernel and ichx fix you get: still waiting for root device. To get the apple installer to see your SCSI drives you have to format them from the BIOS. I takes hours.

I just installed AHCI fix because i was getting an error message at start up: Extensions "com.apple.driver .AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components ; use only one style. The AHCI fix made it go away.

Jnolck..........exactly!

After a little trial and error, I've just managed to boot up my Precision 650.

Install of iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5 worked on this hardware:

Dell Precision 650 with dual 3.07GHz Xeons (although it reports 3 cores)

Nvidia FX 5900XT 128MB AGP

2 x 120GB IDE - SCSI disabled

Installed with:

Audio - AC97

Chipset - ICHx

Kernel - 9.4.0 StageXNU

Video - NVinject 0.2.1 128MB

Fix - AppleSMBIOS Mac Pro

Firewire, LAN, USB and two DVD/CD-RWs are all working fine; video runs happily at 1280x1024@75Hz with Quartz enabled.

The audio is currently not working - I need to hunt around a little more to work out why; it's an Intel 82801-based chip I believe.

Now all I need to do is fix the video problems on my Latitude D610 and I'll be converted. :(

The 650 has run everything from XP/Vista to 2003 and 2008 server, Ubuntu and my own custom Linux/X11R7.4 builds, but to see OSx86 boot in a little under 15 seconds is astonishing.

I'm never going back to Windows... :wallbash:

Rock Kicker, to get your audio to work try updating the Audio drivers with OSX86tools. If you didn't install it during the os install you can download it off the internet. Check out this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=124911

When I first installed OSX on my I didn't install the audio patch but OSX86tools found the recent version and downloaded for me and the audio magically worked. Hope this helps.

Madur0

• 4 weeks later...

so did it take tall a long time to actually boot to disc? i've been able to boot to disc once where it froze during the disk utility application. now it has been attempting to boot for 30 minutes and still nothing. it is continuously reading:

SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, SENSE_KEY = 0x03, ASC = 0x11, ASCQ = 0x00

disk1s3: I/O error.

any ideas from anyone?

• 1 month later...

By the way, madur0, nice work with the Dell 650. I tried an initial install on my 650 with vanilla + boot132. I wasn't even able to boot off the DVD. I gave iDeneb a try, and it did the trick. I followed your instructions. I could not get the onboard network or video working either. I bought the best NV AGP card I could find locally -- a NV 6200. Definitely not a high performer, but it works adequately and it was recognized without any effort of my own on a Dell 24" @ 1920x1200 (using the GeForce kext). I couldn't find a 7300 AGP anywhere. In fact, it's not easy to find via google search.

Dell Precision 650

NIC: 3COM 3c509b (not fiddling required)

Video: NVidia 6200 AGP

I'm having some rather odd trouble getting the X11 server to accept X client connections. Can you start an 'xterm' even from the Terminal?

Thanks again.

• 4 months later...

I've been fooling with my Precision 650 some more and had some luck with iDeneb v1.4. So far I've managed to load 10.5.6 using:

ICHx Fix

Kernel 9.2.0 Speedstep

AGPGart or NVDarwin 512MB (using an NVidia 7300GT)

AppleSMBIOS MacPro

Anyway, so far my main trouble has been with the onboard NIC. It detects the NIC, however, it will not connect to the internet. I've attempted to change the DHCP settings to connect, however, no luck so far. Also, when I go to "About this Mac" the screen goes blank, then OS X reloads to the desktop with all applications closed. I'll give iATKOS 5i a try in a few and see if it goes any smoother. Anyone else on this thread had anymore luck with their 650's?

• 2 months later...

I have installed ideneb 10.5.5. The computer boots but will eventually crash.

The computer starts the boot process and then comes to a screen that says:

"primary hard disk drive not 1 not found" and

"secondary hard disk drive not 1 not found"

"Strike F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility", so I hit F1 and them Chameleon 2.0 RC2 starts up and then I wait a few seconds and the computer boots into OSX 10.5.5.

Then after a few minutes or if I insert a or take out a USB memory stick(at random) I get the "you need to restert your computer screen"

I do not get internet either. About this computer says that I do have an ethernet conection but it will not connect to the web.

Help, help?

Dell Precision 650 dual 2.66 Xeon, 2 GB ram.

• 3 weeks later...

I have also gotten my Precision 650 working with iPC 10.5.6 disc. I got everything to work including ethernet with the drivers included on the disc. I am using the Voodoo kernel. It is stable and I am using Final cut pro with my Sony Digital 8 via firewire. It works awesome!

Dell Precision 650, Dual 2.0 Ghz Xeon, 1 Gb RAM

• 2 weeks later...
I have also gotten my Precision 650 working with iPC 10.5.6 disc. I got everything to work including ethernet with the drivers included on the disc. I am using the Voodoo kernel. It is stable and I am using Final cut pro with my Sony Digital 8 via firewire. It works awesome!

hi thr

im running on dell precision 490

Dual 2.0 Ghz Xeon, 2 Gb RAM. installed ideneb 1.3. works fine. cant figure out a way with the firewire.. need help!

has anyone updated to 10.5.8?

• 2 weeks later...

I also have my 650 running with iPC 10.5.6. Config: Dual 3.2GHz, 3GB RAM, SCSI system drive, IDE data drive, Geforce 6800GS 256MB. I used NVistaller v.52 to get Quartz Extreme working. Everything seem to be great...then I access my IDE data drive and BAM! kernal panic. I had absolutly no problem getting the OS running on the SCSI drive. The DVD-R/W (IDE channel 2) seems to work because I have installed several apps from disk. What could be the issue and how do I fix it?

Thanks!!!

I also have my 650 running with iPC 10.5.6. Config: Dual 3.2GHz, 3GB RAM, SCSI system drive, IDE data drive, Geforce 6800GS 256MB. I used NVistaller v.52 to get Quartz Extreme working. Everything seem to be great...then I access my IDE data drive and BAM! kernal panic. I had absolutly no problem getting the OS running on the SCSI drive. The DVD-R/W (IDE channel 2) seems to work because I have installed several apps from disk. What could be the issue and how do I fix it?

Thanks!!!

Follow up...I formatted the drive FAT32 from OSX...after accessing, I still get the kernel panic.

• 1 month later...

Well, everything was all roses when transferring all my video from my Video Camera to the hard drive using Final Cut Pro, but when I went to work with those files after they were transferred, my 650 crashed hard (telling me to restart the computer). After a very full evening of trial and error(and a lot of restarts) I was finally able to access the video files after I deactivated one of the CPU's and the hyperthreading. After that point I was able to do whatever I wanted with Final Cut(although slower). I had also tried unplugging my second IDE hard drive during this process and found that my system didn't like that one bit(could be a western digital syndrome as they are both WD's). I had no other problems with my system as I could access all other files(pics and docs) before and after the turning off my second CPU. Anyone else having this issue?

• 1 month later...

Anyone get Snow Leopard working on their Precision 670?

I tried using a retail DVD with the myHack Installer tool and couldn't get it to recognize the SATA/IDE drives. I eventually got it to install to the drive via a USB->SATA adapter, however, I can't get it to boot after installation. I tried applying the myHack Installer kexts to the drive as a USB from another Mac system but, ended up with "Still Waiting for Root Device". I d/led the newest version of the ICH5 kext from this forum but, didn't get any farther. Any help greatly appreciated.

• 2 months later...
I have installed ideneb 10.5.5. The computer boots but will eventually crash.

The computer starts the boot process and then comes to a screen that says:

"primary hard disk drive not 1 not found" and

"secondary hard disk drive not 1 not found"

"Strike F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility", so I hit F1 and them Chameleon 2.0 RC2 starts up and then I wait a few seconds and the computer boots into OSX 10.5.5.

Then after a few minutes or if I insert a or take out a USB memory stick(at random) I get the "you need to restert your computer screen"

I do not get internet either. About this computer says that I do have an ethernet conection but it will not connect to the web.

Help, help?

Dell Precision 650 dual 2.66 Xeon, 2 GB ram.

Well my guess would be you are using SCSI for you hard drive. I had to pull out the SCSI and put an IDE drive in. In fact its installing right now. Hopfully this time it will work. But yeah try IDE!