What is the proper way to upgrade Video card kexts in leopard....?

kitmac

7 posts in this topic

• 6 months later...

I have the same question (basically). I used the GA-G31M-ES2L for 2 machines I built. I used the nVidia 9400GT 512 in one of them but had to use the onboard video for the other while I waited to get my other 9400. Now that i have the 9400 how do I get it to work in the machine? If I just pop it in, I can not boot into the OS anymore as the Boot.plist is passing bad strings. So I used the plist from the other machine I built since they are the same hardware but that didnt work either.

Aside from rebuilding the whole system, what are my options?

Thank!

Here is how to properly install NVIDIA video drivers for your OSX86 installation.

Step 1: Clear old drivers and cache files. Navigate to the Utilities folder and run Terminal, and follow these commands:

sudo su (enter password when asked)
cd /Volumes
ls (choose drive name you installed OS X on)
cd drivename/System/Library
rm -rf Extensions.mkext
rm -rf Extensions.kextcache
cd Extensions
rm -rf Caches
rm -rf GeF*.*
rm -rf NV*.*

Close Terminal.

Step 2: Download OSX86 Tools by clicking here, and install the program by dragging and dropping the .app file to the Applications or Utilities folder.

Step 3: Run the program, select if you want it to check for updates or not. There are a lot of options available, but the only one we care about right now is the Install Kexts button. Click this button, then click OK, a browser window will pop up and allow you to select your driver files, select all of them and then click Choose. A new window will pop up, confirm which drive name your OS X installation is on, then click OK. You will be prompted to enter your password, enter it now and installation should complete. It will ask you to restart, restart your computer now. At the 5-second boot prompt hit Enter and boot with the -v flag in verbose mode to check your handy work.

Note: Always use drivers with the correct device ID and vendor ID string, and proper NVCAP value for your model video card. If using an injector, make sure that the injector supports your model of card; if using an EFI (gfx) string make sure you have the correct string associated with the model of card in YOUR system.

Going from 8600 256mb to 8800 512mb so I just wanted to know if I should pop it in and overwrite NVINJECT with a 512 vram kext... or do I have to mess with NVCAP.........................?????

A new NVINJECT will automatically detect your card, but you will need to modify the NVCAP and VRAM setting IF you are using the generic NVINJECT file; if you are using a modified NVINJECT file made specifically for your card you can just overwrite the old file. Make sure you clear the Extensions.mkext, Extensions.kextcache files located in System/Library, and also clear the Caches folder located in System/Library/Extensions.

I have the same question (basically). I used the GA-G31M-ES2L for 2 machines I built. I used the nVidia 9400GT 512 in one of them but had to use the onboard video for the other while I waited to get my other 9400. Now that i have the 9400 how do I get it to work in the machine? If I just pop it in, I can not boot into the OS anymore as the Boot.plist is passing bad strings. So I used the plist from the other machine I built since they are the same hardware but that didnt work either.

Aside from rebuilding the whole system, what are my options?

Thank!

I would recommend clearing the driver and cache files/folder, and reinstall your drivers. I would also recommend remaking your EFI string in your com.apple.Boot.plist (located in Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration) even if you are using the same hardware. Try booting your machine after driver/cache clear, if that doesn't work remove the string from the plist file and try booting again or with an injector instead.

CoreVidia 1.0

Hi you guys,

I've been trying to post this for days, but it keeps getting erase (?) from the forum, so, for those who need a new approach on nvidia, here it goes: There's a new Nvidia driver around

CoreVidia.kext is a graphics injector for Mac OSX Intel Based. It works on NVIDIA 6,7,8,9 and Quadro Series.

Core Vidia Injector 1.0 is the next generation of NVdarwin, developed by XDarwin/Ruben Carneiro.

CoreVidia 1.0

CoreVidia, Copyright © 2009 Ruben Carneiro

Features:

Reduced boot time

Support for Quadro Series 9

Small raise in the amount of FPS - tested in GLView

The hardware id's will be updated on each new version of Core Vidia Injector

To install, you just have to choose the amount of RAM for your graphics card.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?gzmioimfie0

(Translated from the original portuguese OSX forum - http://osx86tuga.co.cc/index.php?showtopic...entry218)

CoreVidia 1.0

Hi you guys,

I've been trying to post this for days, but it keeps getting erase (?) from the forum, so, for those who need a new approach on nvidia, here it goes: There's a new Nvidia driver around

CoreVidia.kext is a graphics injector for Mac OSX Intel Based. It works on NVIDIA 6,7,8,9 and Quadro Series.

Core Vidia Injector 1.0 is the next generation of NVdarwin, developed by XDarwin/Ruben Carneiro.

CoreVidia 1.0

CoreVidia, Copyright © 2009 Ruben Carneiro

Features:

Reduced boot time

Support for Quadro Series 9

Small raise in the amount of FPS - tested in GLView

The hardware id's will be updated on each new version of Core Vidia Injector

To install, you just have to choose the amount of RAM for your graphics card.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?gzmioimfie0

(Translated from the original portuguese OSX forum - http://osx86tuga.co.cc/index.php?showtopic...entry218)

I am running a i7 INTEL 920 and have installed a working OS thus far, all the way to 10.5.6 with ability to do Software Updates straight from Software Updater. No issues.

Trying to get the Video to work, using a 9800GT 1GIG RAM. I tried using this software and I get PERMISSIONS ERROR when installed and a FAILED install at the end. Install log from this program shows the permissions error. I am logged in as ROOT, no other users currently in system.

Any advice would be helpful. I tried reading the Portuguese thread you posted here but I cannot understand it.

INTEL i7 - 920 2.67GHZ - 4 CORES

OSX 10.5.6

Nvidia 9800GT 1GIG Ram, BFGx

6 GIG RAM, triple channel

ASUS P6T Deluxe MotherBoard

Bluehopper, I got my 9800GT 1Gb working like like this:

First used Aqua-mac's Nvidia Driver installer :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...132089&st=0

Reboot

Second used GFX strings (with gfxutil tool)

http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa...&thread=509

opened that out.hex file in TextEditox and pasted it into Boot.Plist using EFIStudio (Yeah, I'm lazy)

Save & Reboot

Now it works !

Only thing was I had to update from 10.5.4 to 10.5.6, to get Driver Installer to work, but It was going to do it anyway :rolleyes:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT DDL

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0614

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: 3172a