Boot Logo & Screen Problems

AriX

6 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone,

I know this is rather minor in the scheme of things, but I was able to reinstall Hackintosh on my old Dell Dimension 2400, effectively upgrading from JaS 10.4.8 (with a really old kernel from JaS 10.4.6) to Kalyway 10.4.10. It works great, but I have two complaints: First, on my 10.4.8 install, when I booted the machine up, I had the traditional Apple logo with the spinning thingy under it. However, now that I've installed Kalyway, EVEN THOUGH I didn't select verbose mode in the installer, it boots in verbose every time, with no Apple logo. While verbose mode is cool (and I have my real Macs boot up in verbose), I think that the Apple logo on Hackintosh is cooler. If anyone could help me achieve this, I'd really appreciate it. I tried using nvram -p to list the nvram variables, but it said that nvram isn't supported on the system (something about there being no EFI maybe?). SOLVED - See below.

The other problem I have is that when the computer goes to sleep, the screen is not deactivated, and stays on, with the image that was there before it went to sleep. I'd really appreciate not having to turn the monitor (a Dell 17" flat panel if that helps any, with an old integrated video controller) off every time I leave. The monitor also does not turn off when the display is supposed to be turned off (according to Energy Saver).

Thanks so much everyone!

UPDATE: Huh, I had been looking for the com.apple.Boot.plist file, but I thought it was in /. Turns out it wasn't, and I found it with Spotlight. I took away the -v entry, and now I have my pretty Apple logo back :( However, I'd still appreciate help with the sleep problem.

The other problem I have is that when the computer goes to sleep, the screen is not deactivated, and stays on, with the image that was there before it went to sleep. I'd really appreciate not having to turn the monitor (a Dell 17" flat panel if that helps any, with an old integrated video controller) off every time I leave. The monitor also does not turn off when the display is supposed to be turned off (according to Energy Saver).

Hi, have You solved the "Sleep" problem already?

I have exactly the same issue with my SSE2 and Ati M6.

Here is the topic link, if You care: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=124245

I've posted there also my framework mod, that removes Sleep option

from Finder menu, just to prevent this situation untill it's solved.

Cheers, Michael

UPDATE: Huh, I had been looking for the com.apple.Boot.plist file, but I thought it was in /. Turns out it wasn't, and I found it with Spotlight. I took away the -v entry, and now I have my pretty Apple logo back

Hi. Also wanting to get out of verbose mode. Could you please decribe step by step how you edited the plist? My limited experience with trying to change plist entries has not so far payed off!

Thx,

Steve

• 1 month later...
Hi, have You solved the "Sleep" problem already?

I have exactly the same issue with my SSE2 and Ati M6.

Here is the topic link, if You care: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=124245

I've posted there also my framework mod, that removes Sleep option

from Finder menu, just to prevent this situation untill it's solved.

Cheers, Michael

Hi Michael, I appreciate your advice but this is not the same problem at all. My computer can go to sleep AND wake up from sleep perfectly - but, while it's sleeping, the screen remains on. It does not know how to tell the monitor to go to sleep mode... :/