Which Mobo is the bestto run leo Q6600? Asus P5K-E would be fine?

6 posts in this topic

HI, I Have leo installed without problems in a gigabyte DS4 motherboard with core 2 duo processor. I thinking in upgrade to a new processor and mobo, I was thinking in buying an "Asus P5K-E WiFi Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard" and a Intel Q6600. Do I will benefit from all the cores in the processor? any experince with this mother board? which version of Leo or procedure do I need to follow for a suscefull installation.

Many Thanks

I've got a 5pk-e wifi ap solo board (not deluxe) and a q6600. I've have it stable on 3.2ghz air cooled (cooler master gemin II). Worked stable on 3.4ghz as well but was getting over 70celsius on hot days so i downed it a bit. It does overclock very nicely and has tons of options for manual tweaking in bios. The voltage droops are virtually negilable low when you set it right as well.

I have everything from that board working with osx 10.5.4 (and had with 10.5.2 and 10.5.3). That includes both networks (wire and wireless), jmicron esata and pata controller, intel sata controller, p35 chipset, the HD audio. I used a Kallyway 10.5.1 release dvd but I bet you can get it working with any other release and then download the kexts you need later.

Thanks what are the kexts? from where I can download them for the P5K?

How did you update from 10.5.1 to 10.5.4 Normall Appel update?

I had everything working out of the box with the Kallyway dvd (afair one of the developpers has this board). Updated using Kallyway updates from 10.5.1>10.5.3 and Apple update 10.5.3>10.5.4. If you chose another "distro" you'll find the kexts one by one here on this website using the search :D