Dell will continue to offer Microsoft Windows XP

Alessandro17

5 posts in this topic

http://www.halflifesource.com/latest/dell_...rticle2421.html

Dell will continue to offer the Microsoft Windows XP operating system to customers beyond the June 30th deadline.

The announcement comes after CEO Steve Ballmer suggested earlier this week that Microsoft might change its mind and extend Windows XP if customers asked for it. Even so, he said most new systems ship with Vista, and to date they haven't seen customers asking for Windows XP.

Dell, Inc announced on Friday that it will offer Windows XP operating system to their personal computer customers after the June deadline.

Microsoft has scheduled to pull the Windows XP operating system from store shelves on June 30 in an effort to upgrade customers to Windows Vista.

"We are now offering an optional Dell-provided service to install Windows XP Professional for a customer while also providing the customer with a Windows Vista license and Windows Vista operating system DVD," Dell said in a statement.

I thought the title was DELL is going to offer OS X on it's computers :hysterical:

I bought a 400€ laptop that came with 2.5gb of Ram and Vista Home basic and it runs just fine. I am not saying that XP wouldn't be faster but it runs fine with Vista. I don't experience particular slow downs or anything.

It's true that the Vista compatible drivers were {censored} in the early days, but I think that for most of the hardware that time is long gone.

Dell doesn't 'offer' XP or Vista, it rams it down consumers throats. Over here you can not buy a Dell without an m$ OS.

I think it's actually illegal as well, but that's a different kettle of fish.

Peter R.

Dell doesn't 'offer' XP or Vista, it rams it down consumers throats. Over here you can not buy a Dell without an m$ OS.

You can always find Dells without an MS OS. There's been the option of getting it with FreeDOS for year, it's just hidden very well in their website, or not even on the website (you have to call and ask for it). It just raises the cost of the computer, since Dell can't subsidize the computer's cost with trialware.