Is dual-booting safe?

4 posts in this topic

Hi, new user here. I'm interested in developing iphone apps, but the SDK hasn't been released for windows, so I'm looking into getting leopard and dual-booting it along with XP SP3.

To make things clear I have XP on a SATAII seagate 320gb drive, and OSX will be installed on an older IDE 80gb. My motherboard is a Gigabyte EP35-DS3R, running an e7200 core2duo. I have 2 gigs of RAM, and an 9600GSO graphics card.

I just want to know the negatives to dual booting, as I've read that since OSX was designed for mac-specific hardware, it could have some unwanted and permanent consequences on my hardware. This is a new PC I've built, and as of yet it hasn't been overclocked but it likely will be if that matters. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Hi, new user here. I'm interested in developing iphone apps, but the SDK hasn't been released for windows, so I'm looking into getting leopard and dual-booting it along with XP SP3.

To make things clear I have XP on a SATAII seagate 320gb drive, and OSX will be installed on an older IDE 80gb. My motherboard is a Gigabyte EP35-DS3R, running an e7200 core2duo. I have 2 gigs of RAM, and an 9600GSO graphics card.

I just want to know the negatives to dual booting, as I've read that since OSX was designed for mac-specific hardware, it could have some unwanted and permanent consequences on my hardware. This is a new PC I've built, and as of yet it hasn't been overclocked but it likely will be if that matters. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

I just put together a new system based on a ASUS P5Q and q6600. The first os it had was OSX and that is what it runs 99% of the time.

The only real issue I know of for you is that you already have XP loaded, and getting the bootloader to work right. One option would be to install as you desire, and use f8 to select which drive you want to boot to. It is not quite that easy, but workable with a bootloader or not.

Is running OSX worth the effort? Oh yeah!icon10.gif

Kenny

Its not easy to do, search/read this forum for tips. It takes a bit of time to set up. The challenge with installing XP is that it takes over with its booting process. I used Grub to make my triple-boot work w/Ubuntu-XP-OSX, and had to re-install grub after I installed XP. Try using the SuperGrub disk to make the install (somewhat) easier, after you get both OSs installed.