How do i boot an external test drive from OS X?

3 posts in this topic

Hi, my question may be dumb and simply answered but anyways, here it goes:

OS X running perfect on internal hdd(for now). I have an external with 3 partitions:

1.OS X Test (for updates/changes/etc.)

2.Time Machine Backups

3.Random junk

I recently re-installed OS X onto the 1st partition with some different selections in kernels/drivers etc. and i want to simply boot it and test it. When i restart the pc, i change the boot to external usb hdd...no good. It appears to not be booting from the 1st partition (the only bootable one) as it has a blinking icon. I went back into my internal OS X and I tried a sudo cmd to make a boot menu before OS X loads...no help(as i expected). All i want to do is be able to go back and fourth for test purposes. Any help? :rolleyes:

I did install it on the external. I reinserted the iatkos disc and fully installed it on the 1st partition with a different selection of drivers/kernels ( i did this install twice now). I have reason to believe that the 1st partition is not what the bios is attempting to boot from when i change the boot secquence to usb hdd. I guess the real question is how do i get the bios to boot from the 1st partition as opposed to the other 2 non-bootable ones?